• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Importing/Exporting terrain from RO map?

Sgt.NightFire

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2006
Well, basically its a Darkest Hour map, but does anyone know if it's possible to export terrain from a Darkest hour Map? i know the Ro2 editor has the option to export/import terrain, but i can't find this option in the RO SDK. :confused:

The reason i ask is because i am terrible in creating terrain from scratch.

And another question just popped in my head, what about grass and the fastest way to create it? because making a field must be very time consuming by putting every small patch in piece by piece. Is there a faster way? Maybe make a small 2 by 2 meters round patch of grass, turn it in a static mesh or prefab?

Last edited:
Well, basically its a Darkest Hour map, but does anyone know if it's possible to export terrain from a Darkest hour Map? i know the Ro2 editor has the option to export/import terrain, but i can't find this option in the RO SDK. :confused:

The reason i ask is because i am terrible in creating terrain from scratch.

And another question just popped in my head, what about grass and the fastest way to create it? because making a field must be very time consuming by putting every small patch in piece by piece. Is there a faster way? Maybe make a small 2 by 2 meters round patch of grass, turn it in a static mesh or prefab?

Porting I can't help you with. Foliage layers I can. You can add foliage layers to a map, just like a Terrain Material. You literally paint them on like a terrain material.
For foliage here's a tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_expuF5SyA&t=2887
If you want to learn how to make good terrain, watch the entire 50+ minutes of it. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey man, got your Steam mssg. I don't know squat about the RO SDK so I don't know how to export stuff out of RO/DH but I know someone who might be able to offer some suggestions. I'll send you a Steam mssg. with his info. a little later tonight. As for the grass thing, I'd suggest keeping it easy by making the grass the second thing in your terrain layer. You can add a grass static mesh to the terrain material and then just paint it on where you want it. Your idea of creating a pre-fab sounds pretty good, though.

Upvote 0
Maybe this'll werk:

If you are able to open the map in the old editor, in the terrain info it should give you the name of the G16 height map. Export it.

Leave it on computer, DO NOT import the texture to your RO2 map.

In the RO2 SDK, create a new terrain actor and open it up with the terrain editor (mountain looking icon upper left side of tool bar).

Now import height map in a new terrain properties. The option for the RO2 SDK is a small tick box that says "Height Map Only", then click the Import button just to the left of it. It will ask for a BMP, G16's are a special 16 bit BMP, that's what will work. The file you exported from RO1 is what you want.

If you were only able to get a black-n-white greyscale BMP, use G16ED to convert it to a G16 height map. Useful for resizing as well.

You can get G16ED here:

[url]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/martingbell/ut2003/[/URL]

Upvote 0
I tried this tutorial and it worked, but for some reason i can't add another decolayer? For some reason the previous is always selected, if i add another decolayer and open its properties it opens up the previous decolayer properties. :confused:

Never had that happen to me before....

Decolayers are better suited for trees, and the like.
Foilage layers are better for grass & bushes, assuming you don't feel like manually placing everything. You can also change the density & occurrence of each mesh in both of them.

Upvote 0