• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Important Server Config Settings

[TW]Ramm-Jaeger

Tripwire Interactive President
Oct 11, 2005
www.redorchestragame.com
I thought it would be good to highlight some of the more important server config options. Many of these options can be set in KillingFloor.ini or passed in on the commandline. Most can also be found in the webadmin tools.

GameDifficulty: - Set in the KillingFloor.ini, Commandline, or Webadmin
GameDifficulty (what you'll find in KillingFloor.ini)
Difficulty (What you'd pass in to set this on the commandline)

This sets the difficulty level for the game.
1.0 = Beginner - Your grandma can play the game
2.0 = Normal - Quite challenging with lower level perks
4.0 = Hard - Very challenging even with mid level perks
7.0 = Suicidal - Incredibly difficult, even with high level perks

KFGameLength Set in the KillingFloor.ini or in Webadmin
Sets the length of the game (how many waves the players fight through).

0 = Short - A 4 wave game
1 = Normal - The standard 7 wave game
2 = Long - The longer 10 wave game
3 = Custom - uses the custom sandbox settings for waves, monster counts, etc (which i won't go into here, but we'll talk about in another post).

Those are the two big KF specific settings. For more of the Unreal specific settings check some of the other posts on this forum.

Reactions: liv3d
Hi.

I looked in my KillingFloor.ini and did not see a GameDifficulty command. You sure that's what it's called? Or does it have to be added?

They are both there in the INI file. Do a quick search and youll find them.

Thanks to these, I added an additional server. The third server is now HARD mode with 7 waves. :) Gotta love it!

East Coast USA

London, England

Central USA - HARD mode with 7 waves!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
They are both there in the INI file. Do a quick search and youll find them.

Thanks for that enlightening post. I think I know how to use CTRL+F. They were not in the file. They appeared after I used WebAdmin and set it though.

For those who need to add it manually. It goes under: [Engine.GameInfo]

GameServers, for some reason or another, has decided to remove it from the default.ini and the KillingFloor.ini.

Upvote 0
How exactly do I utilise these with a webadmin service such as : http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4075/kfwebadmin.jpg[url]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4075/kfwebadmin.jpg[/URL]

I've tried putting in things like GameDifficulty=4.0 or set_gamedifficulty 4.0 but there have been no notable changes in-game from beginner difficulty setting or notifications in the console, even when I change maps. Does the server need to be restarted? Or is there a different command?

I want to know the EXACT same thing...

I couldn't figure out how to change my Server's GameDifficulty while the server was running. I tried all sorts of commands, but nothing seemed to work. It would be really helpful to see a list of all the different Admin console commands available.

Thank You!

Upvote 0
Thanks for that enlightening post. I think I know how to use CTRL+F. They were not in the file. They appeared after I used WebAdmin and set it though.

For those who need to add it manually. It goes under: [Engine.GameInfo]

GameServers, for some reason or another, has decided to remove it from the default.ini and the KillingFloor.ini.

Umm sorry, but I would have to guess the error was in fact on your part. Those commands are and were in fact in the KillingFloor.ini file. Either you typed something in wrong, or something. All three of my servers are from Gameservers, and all three had the commands in their ini files. Are you sure you know how to use the CTRL-F feature? And are you sure you spelled it correctly?

Upvote 0
Umm sorry, but I would have to guess the error was in fact on your part. Those commands are and were in fact in the KillingFloor.ini file. Either you typed something in wrong, or something. All three of my servers are from Gameservers, and all three had the commands in their ini files. Are you sure you know how to use the CTRL-F feature? And are you sure you spelled it correctly?

Wrong. I rented my Gameservers yesterday and it had the GameDifficulty in the .ini but because of the worst server browser I've ever seen in my life (I could see my server fine in the browser BEFORE the patch was released), I thought reinstalling it would help and I noticed with the 'new, default' KF.ini, alot of text had changed and the Game Difficulty setting had disappeared completely :confused:

Upvote 0
How exactly do I utilise these with a webadmin service such as : http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4075/kfwebadmin.jpg[url]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4075/kfwebadmin.jpg[/URL]

I've tried putting in things like GameDifficulty=4.0 or set_gamedifficulty 4.0 but there have been no notable changes in-game from beginner difficulty setting or notifications in the console, even when I change maps. Does the server need to be restarted? Or is there a different command?

Making it much to hard there SixFoor, just use the UI: Defaults -> Game -> Difficulty :D

Upvote 0
Guys, just so you know, the killingfloor.ini file is not always there, and if it is, some of the commands aren't there by default. In windows it's only created AFTER the server is started for the first time. In linux, I don't know how it is created. I had to add the gamedifficulty command manually for my windows servers.

So, I'm just saying, you can't be sure that the file will be there, even if it was there for your install.

Last edited:
Upvote 0