• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Impaler [zed by Haunt]

Haunt

Jan 29, 2015
This is a work in progress thread for my custom zed, The Impaler.
I hope to get some criticism to improve as I go.
There's still plenty left to do, such as modeling the mask, making a highpoly to bake, texturing, and breaking it into dismember-able parts. Then I have to record sounds for him, rig him, animate him, and then the hard part, modifying code from existing zeds to get him walking around and killing people.

Thanks for checking it out, let me know what you think.

bf1sxjF.jpg

tumblr_nq0umpvNyS1us034co1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
That's really nice. I like the style.

Have you thought about how he is going to be different from the other zeds? What are his special moves?

Also, I think you could work a bit more on the shoulders and upper part of the arms. I think the deltoids could be a little more developped and the biceps a bit more defined.

Upvote 0
Don't forget the back of the Impaler could use some "decoration" to make it more distinguished.
I really like the work shown this far!
(Totally bookmarked this thread.)

This is really good advice, To make him stand apart better, i could add some long metal scrap extruding from his spine, because at the moment he's a little boring from behind.

That's really nice. I like the style.

Have you thought about how he is going to be different from the other zeds? What are his special moves?

Also, I think you could work a bit more on the shoulders and upper part of the arms. I think the deltoids could be a little more developped and the biceps a bit more defined.

Well he's really just supposed to be a variant of the big zeds. Just like the cyst is just a variant of the clot. He's Obviously not as tough looking as the scrake or fleshpound, so i might make him slightly weaker than the both.
As for special moves, I've just been thinking of different ways he could stab people. For example, a special move could be rearing up on his hind legs and using his mask to stab you as he falls back down.

And thanks for the excellent anatomy advice, I'll work on it a little more.

Upvote 0
Well he's really just supposed to be a variant of the big zeds. Just like the cyst is just a variant of the clot. He's Obviously not as tough looking as the scrake or fleshpound, so i might make him slightly weaker than the both.
As for special moves, I've just been thinking of different ways he could stab people. For example, a special move could be rearing up on his hind legs and using his mask to stab you as he falls back down.

And thanks for the excellent anatomy advice, I'll work on it a little more.

How about a variant of the grab? He could impale you, then quickly lift you and toss you around. Now just hope it wouldn't be in a pile of Zeds ;)

Also, if a wall is nearby, he could momentarily jump and plant his limbs into the wall to avoid gunfire. I see him as a pretty agile guy.

Upvote 0
Awesome work! Glad to see some community zed designs! I really like the concept, and I have a couple of suggestions to make this dude even better.

First off, if you look at the crawler in engine you will see that he was modeled standing on all fours. The best T-pose for any character is one that is the neutral stance for what that character/creature does. So for your character, a stance more like the wheelers would give your mesh a way better range of motion without polygon tearing/stretching at the shoulders and hips. It will make his movements look way more natural basically.

Another tip, in zbrush you should try to really develop the bigger forms first before you move to small detail. You have some really cool designs and tertiary detail, but they are getting flattened out because the larger primary forms aren't fully defined. And don't be afraid to go nuts with painting color in zbrush too! You don't need uv's for the color info to be exported correctly with the high poly obj.

You can also get stronger silhouette if you retopo over your zbrush sculpt so that the quads flow in the direction of the muscle groups. Here are some examples to give you an idea what i mean:
https://www.pinterest.com/kebrus/human-3d-topology/

I hope some of this is helpful. I can't wait to see this thing running around Paris!

Upvote 0
Awesome work! Glad to see some community zed designs! I really like the concept, and I have a couple of suggestions to make this dude even better.

First off, if you look at the crawler in engine you will see that he was modeled standing on all fours. The best T-pose for any character is one that is the neutral stance for what that character/creature does. So for your character, a stance more like the wheelers would give your mesh a way better range of motion without polygon tearing/stretching at the shoulders and hips. It will make his movements look way more natural basically.

Another tip, in zbrush you should try to really develop the bigger forms first before you move to small detail. You have some really cool designs and tertiary detail, but they are getting flattened out because the larger primary forms aren't fully defined. And don't be afraid to go nuts with painting color in zbrush too! You don't need uv's for the color info to be exported correctly with the high poly obj.

You can also get stronger silhouette if you retopo over your zbrush sculpt so that the quads flow in the direction of the muscle groups. Here are some examples to give you an idea what i mean:
https://www.pinterest.com/kebrus/human-3d-topology/

I hope some of this is helpful. I can't wait to see this thing running around Paris!

Thanks man, this advice is very helpful. I might as well rig him, pose him, then retopo him. I'm not too experienced with zbrush and honestly could use a bit more practice. I think I may do some anatomy studies and try to get in the larger shapes down.

Upvote 0
I like it, and it reminds me of the 2-handed Gorefast Tripwire mentioned. Maybe its animations could involve trying to stab people since the Fleshpound is about Smashing and the Scrake is about slashing. And even if you just make it a non-big zed, it could be differentiated from the Gorefast by trying to go for stabs.

Upvote 0