• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Impact effect if you get hit by a bullet

Pig

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
RO is pretty close to what i could image for a perfect multiplayer shooter with realistic background. But what i miss in RO: Ostfront is an effect that happens when you get hit by a bullet.

Getting Hit

Getting hit hurts alot and also has a great impact power which result in you getting knocked to the ground. however in RO you can still aim very well even if you get hit in the legs or arms. But if you get hit in the legs you should fall to the ground and if you get hit in the arms you should lose your weapon ( as it is already) or your gun has to aim in a complete different direction and after the hit you should not be able to aim well and straight.

Suppressive fire

The RO:O Mod Darkest Hour features a little effect for snipers where you can't aim well if bullets fly close by you. Means you will not only get the blur effect but also a little shiver effect were you crosshair moves around.

This feature should be added for all weapon classes and which would make suppressive fire useful because you could have an direct effect on the aiming of your opponent.

What do you think about it ?

Reactions: BlueSmiley
I'd like to see high caliber rounds to the legs knocking someone to the ground (and not just putting them into prone so they can turn fire from a now more secured position) along with explosions that weren't lethal (IE the concussive grenades of the germans).

The other suggestion I flat out disagree with. On paper Darkest Hour's idea was really great and had me psyched, but in actuality all it turned me into was a jittery freak who liked to look up at the sky and promoted mass run and gun with SMGs at the hip. I figure the iron sight free aim and bullet penetration will be enough to keep away pop up rifleman which is the only thing that bothered me really.

Upvote 0
effect for snipers

Actually it applies for all roles. All bullets produce snap and involuntary twitches. I like how people here always quote the suppression system as the reason they dislike DH.

Aww, no more pixel snipe for you.

Face it. Suppressive fire does not work at all in RO. If you don't shoot to kill you die. At least in DH if you have half your team putting hundreds of rounds around a window facing your advance, you have a "slight" chance of disrupting the machine gunner's aim. I know that's so horrible, right?

Reactions: slavek and LemoN
Upvote 0
That's not to say soldiers in reality would always start twitching all over the place if bullets were cracking overhead, it's just a gameplay effect that takes place of a legitimate fear of death and forces players to behave as if they are actually trying to avoid being shot at.

Sure you would flinch but not like in DH where it's constant as long as you're having rounds fly by you.

I think it would be better if the first close call in a burst of fire was what causes the flinch reaction, then as fire continues you can eventually regain your control and composure. Afterward once some time has gone by your avatar can be caught off guard again and be surprised by another close call.

Reactions: LemoN
Upvote 0
You're right. Fear of death cannot be created in games. This usually doesn't matter unless you have a game that does what RO (and thus DH) try to accomplish. So what are we supposed to do? Just allow perfectly accurate shots even while under large volumes of prolonged enemy fire?

After 700 hours of DH I don't think of the "bullet reflexes" as me having an epileptic fit, I think of it as me being shot at and suppressed. Does it "rob" the player of his/her precious "control"? Momentarily, yes. Is it unacceptable? To me, no. Everything in a public forum comes down to opinion, and in my opinion involuntary reflexes that impair your accuracy in the face of direct enemy fire are the closest we can come to fear of death with the technology currently available.

Upvote 0
After 700 hours of DH I don't think of the "bullet reflexes" as me having an epileptic fit

seven. hundred. hours.

A commercial pilot is only required to have 250 hours of flight time before getting licensed. You've spent almost three times that playing ONE single video game.

A transport pilot - airliners, etc. - only has to have 1,500. If you'd been flying instead, you'd be halfway to having the certifications required to fly a 747.

Reactions: Hans Ludwig
Upvote 0
I've always hated the way that you get shot in the foot or leg and you just stop dead (which is usually what you immediately become).

IMO if a bullet just grazes you, there should be basically no effect. Soldiers in the heat of combat often didn't even notice these minor wounds until the life and death situation was over, anyway.

A flesh wound to the arm should make you drop your weapon as it does currently, and then when you pick it back up, you essentially cannot aim at all without bracing your weapon against something. This doesn't go away until you die.

A flesh wound to the leg should knock you to the ground, and you should walk/run with a limp, and be unable to sprint. Again, this doesn't go away until you die.

And if you sustain an arm or leg hit that would make you immobile or unable to use a weapon, well you're combat ineffective so that should count as a kill.

As for suppression, I don't like the DH system. What I DO like though is the cracks you here when rounds pass close to you.

Upvote 0
seven. hundred. hours.

A commercial pilot is only required to have 250 hours of flight time before getting licensed. You've spent almost three times that playing ONE single video game.

A transport pilot - airliners, etc. - only has to have 1,500. If you'd been flying instead, you'd be halfway to having the certifications required to fly a 747.

We are losers.

Gaming is a waste of time and an extremely bad habit.

We need a rehab clinic. That is all. Lol.

Upvote 0
DH's supression system is actually pretty damn good. A lot of people complaint about it, but the twitching is actually somewhat subtle and a bit controlable once you get used to it.

You can' pixel snipe if you're suppressed, but you can still fire back. Often when you're supressed it's easy enough to fire an innacurate salvo back and supress them, just enough to get them to not hit you. They stop firing, then you take your kill.

EDIT: Also, DH has a really great persistant blur effect when you get wounded in the head. Most of the time I think I was killed, but then things don't go black and slowly fade back into focus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DH's supression system is actually pretty damn good. A lot of people complaint about it, but the twitching is actually somewhat subtle and a bit controlable once you get used to it.

You can' pixel snipe if you're suppressed, but you can still fire back. Often when you're supressed it's easy enough to fire an innacurate salvo back and supress them, just enough to get them to not hit you. They stop firing, then you take your kill.

EDIT: Also, DH has a really great persistant blur effect when you get wounded in the head. Most of the time I think I was killed, but then things don't go black and slowly fade back into focus.

or the player simply switch to another cover. A supression system would be really great. Also we have the option of blind fireing in HoS. Isn't supression fire essential part of modern combat tactics ? Supression fire and than flank the enemy.

I had a great round on the FK realism server yesterday and the map berlin were surpression fire played a major roll to take our objectives, player were shooting at windows to keep enemy heads down and other team mates run into the next cover so we worked on our way to the next object, still we lost :D. If HoS delivers these intense house combat experience iam very lucky.

Also i died alot of times to players were i made the first hit but it was not deadly and he could immediately return the fire, if i would get hit i would drop to the ground and cry for my mummy and not return well placed shot's.

Upvote 0
lets discuss two sides of the coin

1) Getting hit makes you shake, blur, disorientate, makes your gun acquire magic recoil. Why is this bad?

Because it means the person who fires the first shot instantly gains the advantage. In a "SKill" based-fast-paced shooter. This is terrible. Because it removes the skill for you to "dodge" or "outwit" your opponent. Its frustrating because YOU cannot do anything about it. For a game where its all about "what you can do". Doing nothing is dire.

2) Red orchestra has a cover system and plenty of cover. You should be forced to use it. The cover system will definitely encourage this.

Why is this good? Because you should not be shooting out in the open for the majority of your game time. You need to think about your movement. When using cover and your being shot...Its your own fault if you poke your head out. You will need to use your team mates.

-

The sides of the coin seem to compliment each other for this type of game.

-

Impact effect may save your life...when getting knocked to the ground. It would be interesting and definetly add that extra immersion into a game. Unfortunately though...you can't make it random and you can't make it 100%.

Imagine if you take a shoulder shot and its on 50% of the time. Sometimes...it may save you because you will fall behind the cover you was behind. Sometimes it will kill you as you fall down in the open. Other times it won't give you the random outcome you need.

Now if its on 100%...the immersion is ruined and frustration kicks in. Thats all there is too it.

-

You could add an option for servers to have this. But thats a lot of work for something thats "an option". I don't think we are ready for something like this in a game. I want it, but I can't think of a fair solution to it. Unless we are going to decide that this game should 150% be about realism and not skill based. Its all about the immersive battles. Playing as one of the soldiers in the war. But then you need to think of a way to make that "fun".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You are wrong. Not the guy who shoots the first shot has the adventage it is the guy who makes the first HIT.

i don't know but if i get hit, it should have an effect. If you get hit in the legs and you fall to the ground you won't end up behind a cover because when someone shoot's in your leg you are not behind any cover. If you get shot somewere else they should add a shaking effect which makes you unable to shoot well aimed bullets back. Thats all. That doesn't disable your ability to dodge bullets with good movement. These effects should be removed when you use your bandage.

The suppression is only useful for groups. This promotes tactical teamplay but it doesn't disable the guy who got under suppression fire. He can use the new blind shoot feature or simply change his cover and outplay the enemy with his group and the usage of the suppression feature

Last edited:
Upvote 0