• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Immersion Overhaul Mutator Information

My two cents.... (and no dis-respect for the tremendous amount of work put in. Kudos! I can only wish I had half the knowledge.)

From the get-go (or at least when the two mods combined), I've always felt the mod was trying to do too many things and be too many things for too many people. I think (and perhaps its not too late) that the mod should have addressed smaller bits of features and been made into several 'mods'. For example, the sound mod, the weapons handling mod (and maybe even break that out into recoil and handling), the 'map control' mod, etc.

I see the benefit of making one big mod. Its easier to see if one change breaks some other piece of the code, etc.

My (ignorance is bliss) suggestion would be to define a feature set for a complete mod. Lock the feature set, build it. Test it. Then attempt to break it into smaller bits so that at least some portion of the mod has a snowball's chance in hell of being whitelisted. Regardless of the avenue taken, there has to be an 'end' or final goal or else the thing will never see widespread usage (whitelisted or not).

As per whitelisting, without further updates or feature sets in the game, the 'need' for whitelisting should take a backseat to the 'want' of players looking for something different to spice things up. (But then most seem to be content to play the same old maps hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of times over and over and over again... ad nauseum...so what do I know?:eek:)

Upvote 0
Totally agree with Floyd there, some thinking needs to to into the whitelisting of the mod.

As for the previous comments comparing vanilla to this, keep in mind that not everyone must like these changes, some people might just disregard them as simple volume increases and nothing more. And TWI has to preserve the right of people just loading up the game and knowing what to expect.

Btw, from what I remember Ramm was commentating on the dynamic movement which truth be told is bad in classic mode (which was the case with Odw back then).

Upvote 0
Yeah it would be really nice for IMO to get whitelisted....but.... I have this suspicion it won't see the light of day. IMO changes TWI's "baby" too much in too many different areas. Probably hurts their feelings someone is changing the game around...

I'm not saying this is actually the case, but I'm sure TWI is proud of what they created with ROHOS. Any suggestion of changes does indeed bother them a bit.

The single time I saw Ramm-Jaeger on the IOM OdW server, he was being negative about it. :p:rolleyes:

I believe it...it wasn't "his" creation!

I was not there, BUT the last time I asked him a question in game (about why I had to die because the red zones were forcing me out of a recently captured objective that I could not escape fast enough...) John did become super defensive about the whole deal. So I could believe it Kenobi ^^^

----------------

I will add that I notice a four or five second delay when I am on the class selection screen where video and mouse movement freezes but I still hear sounds. This is only on servers running the mutator an not vanilla servers. I'm guessing its loading stuff in memory?

Upvote 0
The single time I saw Ramm-Jaeger on the IOM OdW server, he was being negative about it. :p:rolleyes:

Wasn't the only thing he complained about the dynamic movement speed? If that was the case, I don't blame him. Have you tried playing on a server that had the old Classic movement speed with dynamic movement enabled? It was horrendous.

That being said, that has been remedied since Classic movement speed has changed.

Other than that one tiny gripe which has pretty much disappeared, I can't think of one single thing wrong with IOM. It fixes almost every single immersion breaking quality RO2 possesses (and **** does it possess more than a few). If TWI are too selfish to whitelist IOM out of pride for their "baby" (and I'm not saying they are) I will be extremely disappointed...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wasn't the only thing he complained about the dynamic movement speed? If that was the case, I don't blame him. Have you tried playing on a server that had the old Classic movement speed with dynamic movement enabled? It was horrendous.

That being said, that has been remedied since Classic movement speed has changed.

If that was the case, I could actually see that especially with the older slower Classic speed.

Upvote 0
I will add that I notice a four or five second delay when I am on the class selection screen where video and mouse movement freezes but I still hear sounds. This is only on servers running the mutator an not vanilla servers. I'm guessing its loading stuff in memory?

I can confirm this delay. I have actually had my screen freeze completely on the role selection screen forcing me to kill RO2 through task manager. The delay happens with all factions but the complete freeze always happened when selecting russians. Delay happens everytime..complete freeze just sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:cool:

Guy, guys. Stop wasting precious time speculating about what TWI will or will not do. We are not precient. Instead, put yourself in THEIR shoes as a business and stop speculating about character whims. What is TWI likely to do? Well, if it was my choice, I would run the mod through a simple two-stage pseudo code:

1. Does the mod fracture white-list concepts?: A=no:goto 2
A=yes:goto 3
2. Will the mod make the game more attractive to buyers?:A=yes:goto 4
A=no:goto 3
3. ask developer to submit design correction:goto 1
4. whitelist mod for ranked servers.
5. End

See how non-convoluted this is?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1) We would not make the choice to whitelist something or not based on personal feelings towards a mod or its author(s)

2) The main things we look for are making sure the mod does not make the game easier or contain backdoors, does not hurt player performance (because this more often then not gets blamed on us), and does not change core gameplay. These are the same criteria we use for Killing Floor.

3) The final call on the whitelist is the design team meeting as a whole to decide on what has been submitted.

As this mod has not been submitted to us we haven't even begun to consider if it is whitelist-able.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately for us, I believe the whole purpose of this mod is to change a lot of "core gameplay."

We'll still try.

Also I agree with one of the suggestions above (from Floyd): there should be a defined set of features in a certain "mode" (ahem, selecting Better Realism mode should force a large number of features) and then if they choose not to run that mode the servers can further customize the mod. This has nothing to do with Whitelisting, but this is what I think the mod needs to define a certain "Standard" within itself. Customization would still be very available without participating in this "standard."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is unfortunate for TWI and the IOM then.
Since RO:II stock/vanilla is such a piece of ****, IOM will never get whitelisted. Dibbler has made a superior game experience to anything the TWI folk have done. RO:II is already 'easy'; aside from Classic, which has some challenge, Action and Realism is laughably 'CoD' like.

Upvote 0