• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"I'm trying to shag you, not heal you": How Killing Floor Changed My Life

I bought KF1 during a sale back in 2009, the weekend the M14 came out I believe. Little did I know that this low budget game that was " more fun than it had any right to be" would have an outsize impact on me.

A couple weeks after I started playing (October 24th 09 to be exact) I ran into a Corporal Lewis on BioticsLab who intrigued me. Especially when she started talking. If girls are rare on the internet, ladies are even rarer. But this was a LADY. She had a helluva voice like a Southern belle. I don't even remember what she said, to be honest. In any case, I did what bored single men playing video games do: I added her on Steam. Not with a conscious agenda in mind--I just did it.

Nothing much happened for a few months until she randomly bought me Mass Effect around Christmas and we got to chatting on Steam in the spring. After a couple years of gaming together I bought a plane ticket and flew out to Arizona (where she was working) to see her and we really hit it off. After that we had to do the long distance for years and used video games including KF and Steam Voice to spend time together--you can only be on the phone so many hours a day after all.

Fast forward 4 years to October 2013 and she found a ring in the sand at one of my favorite beaches up here in WA. It's been a long engagement but she moved in with me that same year and we have a house together. I have adopted her 3 "kids" (of the feline variety). We still game a lot and I consider myself very lucky I don't get "wife aggro" over this pastime of mine because she shares it.

We liked to play KF1 together as "Mr. and Mrs. Foster" once the female Foster characters got released. We're hoping Mrs. Foster will return in KF2.

None of this would have happened without that chance encounter in Killing Floor, so thanks Tripwire for making it happen!