• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

Might save up and get an M1 or something, I think we here in Britain are limited to deactivated guns, I'll have to check what exactly pertains a gun to 'vintage' status.

Been a loooong time since I owned a gun but from what I remember it went like this:

If the gun is of an obsolete cal, you can own it without a license (e.g. alot of Boer war era rifles/pistols will fall into this).

If not it will need to be deactivated. The law changed around '97 in regards to how they were to be deactivated, and unfortunately not for the better. Guns before this point were done in a way that allowed them to still be dry fired and in alot of cases, strippable. Now they are often welded shut or bunged up with slag. This means the cocking handle will often be moveable, but not dry firable and often you can't strip them. In regards to revolvers they can still be dry fired but the chambers will be blocked thus stopped you putting 'show' ammo in.

As far as live guns go, that's probably changed but the last I recall it went like this:

- Auto rifles / pistols .22 or below are legal with license.
- Revolvers are legal aslong as the barrel is above 6 inches (I think, never owned one)
- Bolt actions rifles are legal but depending on the cal will require a specific license addition. Most can only be fired on specific ranges e.g. There used to be a .50 cal range in the south some where.
- Shotguns are legal but things like pump actions are a grey area in some ways. From what I remember the rule was that things like auto shotguns were legal but had to be fixed so they could only hold a max of 3 shells. This will probably have changed.

It's a bit of a pain to get a license really; long waiting time, gun safes have to be checked by the Police, have to be a member of a gun club for x amount of time etc If you're interested in shooting, it's probably alot easier to join a club and rent them to be honest.

If you're after deacts though, there are a fair few fairs each year you can check out or you can have a look online. Here is a good place to start.

Upvote 0
- Auto rifles / pistols .22 or below are legal with license.
- Revolvers are legal aslong as the barrel is above 6 inches (I think, never owned one)
- Bolt actions rifles are legal but depending on the cal will require a specific license addition. Most can only be fired on specific ranges e.g. There used to be a .50 cal range in the south some where.
- Shotguns are legal but things like pump actions are a grey area in some ways. From what I remember the rule was that things like auto shotguns were legal but had to be fixed so they could only hold a max of 3 shells.

I checked up on it, you can carry a semi-auto shotgun that can carry up to two shells, handguns are an absolute no-no, you need a firearms licence to carry a rifle, semi-auto or otherwise. Full-auto weapons are banned outright.

I am kind of interested in the whole antiques scene, I could probably acquire a flintlock of some kind. Of course you the need black powder which needs an explosives certificate to carry a certain amount of the stuff. I hate this country sometimes.

Upvote 0
I remember reading that you can get proper bolt action guns, like working/shooting Mosins.

And you can get AR-15s, but either as bolt action only, or as lever action (yes, they make them in lever action).

There's no ban on bolt action or lever action rifles, you will need a firearms licence and perhaps another licence depending on what calibre you intend to fire, you could always have the Mosin rechambered for a legal calibre, but that's undersirable for the serious collector.

Upvote 0
France as good gun laws for Europe. Aside from being required to join a club, the fees and whatnot, you can own a lot of cool things.

Once you get a certian license, semi autos and suppressors are easy to get. No barrel length restrictions.

SBR AR-15 and AKs are popular there.

Pretty sure you can even use a pistol legally for self defense to.

But I think Switzerland and the Czech Republic has the best gun laws for Europe.

Upvote 0
Relatively little violence -anywhere- is committed with legally owned guns.

Actually, there was a big gun law change here back in '88 I think after some guy in Cumbria shot a lot of random people with guns he had legally acquired and owned. An incident chillingly similar to this happened last week or so up north when some guy went on a killing rampage, again, with guns he was licensed to store and use.

Upvote 0
and no, we can't justify owning them for self defense purposes either, as using a gun in self or home defense is a crime

... which is really stupid. Self defense is a birth-given right (I'm not saying God-given because I'm not one of 'those' :p). If you get threatened by a murderer or rapist you should have the right to shoot him in self defense. Before you say "well, you can use pepperspray too"... no. Pepperspray isn't very effective at all, especially compared to a handgun.

Sure, the bad guy dies... but is that such a bad thing? No, not at all. The more criminals dead, the better. Nothing of value lost. If a bad guy thinks people might be carrying a firearm, it works as a deterrent. Whereas a gun-free zone is more like a free-fire zone.

Politicians who are against self defense side with the criminals.

That being said, crime is very low where I live and I've never really felt unsafe walking down the streets. But it's a matter of principle imo. Self defense should not be illegal.

Upvote 0
... which is really stupid. Self defense is a birth-given right (I'm not saying God-given because I'm not one of 'those' :p). If you get threatened by a murderer or rapist you should have the right to shoot him in self defense. Before you say "well, you can use pepperspray too"... no. Pepperspray isn't very effective at all, especially compared to a handgun.

Don't, even for a moment, think that i endorse this silly legislation, i just have to live with it (or go to jail).

Infact, i think our laws in regards to weapons and self defense are monsterous, policestate nastyness at it's finest, to say that i do not endorse them is a gross understatement..

Upvote 0
34443_1513151312804_1355053011_1332060_3860225_n.jpg

34443_1513151352805_1355053011_1332061_5289867_n.jpg

Here I have 2 bad pictures of my 1928 SHTLE No.1 Mk.III and my 1930 Mosin Nagant 91/30. Everything except for the magazine on the Enfield is numbers matching.

Upvote 0
The wood on the Enfield needs some work done, it has many a scratch, but and the wood just before the foresight on top is warped, and the wood just in behind the back sight is not original. But these are simply cosmetic issues, I plan on sanding, and re-oiling the entire stock to return the shine that it is supposed to have and to reblue the steel. But yes, the wood is a beautiful blackened shade of red.

Upvote 0
The wood on the Enfield needs some work done, it has many a scratch, but and the wood just before the foresight on top is warped, and the wood just in behind the back sight is not original. But these are simply cosmetic issues, I plan on sanding, and re-oiling the entire stock to return the shine that it is supposed to have and to reblue the steel. But yes, the wood is a beautiful blackened shade of red.

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SANDPAPER AND REBLUING ARE NOOOOOO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!

Part of what gives the rifle its value is the fact that the bluing that remains is original. It's historic. If you reblue it, you will significantly damage its value.

You will do even more damage to its value if you touch the wood with sandpaper. You can remove many an imperfection with a little steam - dents, dings, etc., will come out with the judicious application of steam. Do some research on what the original finish was - I think it was oil, but I'm not sure what kind, for Enfields - and then do any finishing that way. There's a lot of good information on how to re-do the wood on old military rifles, and you can get fantastic results without using sandpaper!!!!!!

If the wood is completely unsalveagable, then you can get a complete replacement stock.

Upvote 0
I'm not looking to have a valuable gun, it's not going to be worth anything TO ME if I keep it as is, a piece of the wood isn't even original and another is all warped to hell, I'm going to keep this rifle for a long time and I want it to look good enough to be on display. And for re-doing the stock, they didn't stain them, it was just sanded down wood that had multiple layers of linseed oil applied to it, which is why there's a variation in color from rifle to rifle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0