• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

Picked up this beauty for $89

MosinNagant2.jpg

MosinNagant3.jpg

Excellent condition for a WW2 Rifle. Best part it was already cleaned and oiled when I bought it.

Upvote 0
explain "pre-ban"
oh wait, duh, you got it from someone who imported it before the arms embargo with china. Duh. Or you smuggled it into the states from Canada, whom can still purchase firearms from china...sorry stupid question

btw nice rifle. My friend has one just like that.
Pre-Ban I'm guessing means before the California Assault Weapons Ban. I think pre-ban means that the magazine can be removed, and a 30 rounder put in its' place. The post-ban SKS's have the magazine permanently attached iirc.

The atributes that mark a weapon an'Assault Rifle' under the ban include...

Detatchable magazine
Flash Supressor
Pistol Grip
Grenade Launcher
Bayonett Lug
Semi-Auto

If your rifle has 3 or more of the following, it had to be registered by 12/31/1999, or you are in violation.

There may be more qualifiers in the law, but I cant recall right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually, I'm talking about another ban that was done before the 1994 Assault weapon's ban. I believe it was 1989. They banned the importation of "assault weapons" unless they contained a certain amount of US parts. This ban is still in affect, and probably will never end. The Chinese got around this by removing the bayonet, and installing US parts. Imports from China were eventually banned all together.

Any semi-auto that is imported, cannot be all foreign manufactured. Unless it's on the C&R list. Like the Yugo SKS's that are coming in. Even then those rifles cannot be legally modified unless you add the US compliant parts. My pre-ban above came in before both bans. Therefore it's all Chinese, and I can legally modify the hell out of it. If I wanted to.

Also, I live in Georgia. So no PRK bans affect me. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

he he I love that movie.

Upvote 0
class 3 is a dealer thing... there is no special license required to own full auto... just a deep wallet and a class 3 dealer to do the transfer

Um No,

You have to have the license to own a FA weapon which involves a tax fee. This has nothing to do with a dealership. Each individual that wants a FA weapon will have to deal with this nonsense. ALso, local LEO will have to also sign off that you are not a nutjob before BATF will issue you the license.

After that hurdle you will be introduced to the price of FA stuff and realize you can't afford anything. Maybe a Sten Mk II IF you sell your car.

Than after you get your Sten you will realize that there is no place that will let you shoot it full auto anway so you wasted your money and time.

IOW, anyone with a legal FA weapons is either a super Rich SOB or has an illegal weapon.

This is my beef with the BS Unconstitutional laws regarding FA ownership in this country in that ONLY the super rich are afforded that privilage. Total BS if you ask me. :mad:

Upvote 0
You also have to live in a state that doesn't prohibit FA ownership.

Back in 1934 the gov't wasn't sure if banning FA weapons was Constitutional- so they established the $200 transfer fee/tax to avoid the issue and deter FA ownership. GonzoX is right on about it being for the rich- think how much $200 was in 1934 (about twice the price of a Thompson).

Upvote 0
It's not so much the tax that is expensive it is the weapons. A $30 Sten costs almost $3000 here to own legally. That is the cheapest. Prices only go up from there.

Add to the cost that you practically have to own your own land to shoot these things as most ranges will not let you through their gate with a FA anything.

I find it ironic that we fought for our Independence from King George over a few dollars tax and now our own Government is bleeding us dry by taking almost 1/8th our income from us if not more to feed itself and it's welfare programs. Not to mention that they are re-interpreting our Constitution to enslave the very people it set free. That's what Liberals have done to this country.

Ooops, am I ranting again?

Upvote 0
the reason for the high cost is low availability

a full auto firearm only becomes available when the current owner wishes to transfer it... considering what is here now and legal is all that there ever will be until some people with a pair of balls get into the right positions in government to lift certain bans the prices of these firearms when the owner wishes to sell them are whatever that person feels like asking for the weapon so naturally they price them at new car prices... i'd hate to think of what gewehr43 paid for his mp40

if it were up to me i would make it easier for law abiding citizens to own fully automatic weapons if they so desire... keep a tax in place for registering such a firearm but maybe lower it a bit... use the tax to fund youth firearm safety programs (screw funding the BATFE)

keep this thread on track...

no new additions but some new pics of my rifles

Upvote 0
The tax stamp is only $200. It's not that much. Anyone here who has bought more than two Mosins could pay it. What needs to be lifted is the 1986 registration ban.

I heard of a guy in the next county over. Who found his grandpa's BAR when he passed away. Unfortunately for him, Grandpa never registered the rifle. So his only options were to turn it into the police for destruction, or donate it to a museum. Even though it had been in the family since WWII.

Japanese Type 99. It has a ground mum, but for $65, I can't complain.
99type.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0