• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Il-2 thread

Got 1946 and its fooking GREAT!

Just actually came from a six hour dog fighting session with some friends, we were doing all sorts of crazy stuff like one person piloting a B-25 and manning the guns while we all took fighters and tried to shoot it down. Goddamn the B-25 is a tough cookie! I seem to do best in the MiG 3ud I like it's handling, firepower and sight picture.

The experimental planes are good fun, my favourite has to be the Heinkel-Lersche. Mostly because it feels like I am flying a tie fighter but also because it is a great plane to lose people in being that it has no wing profile so you can roll it and break totally unpredictably. Also packs a heavy punch with it's cannons, can make 600Km/h, turns sharply and is nigh un-stallable.

Speaking of dog fights I had a massive one with one of my friends. We made a pass at each other head on, then I got behind him, he hit the deck and I followed and a very tight chase developed at extremely low altitude with him just managing to pull tightly out of my sights several times. We then lost each other over a ridge line so I gained a little height and wheeled around for a look only to see him doing the same, this resulted in another head on pass in which I blew one of his wings off sending him into a death spin and he winged my pilot right in the face killing me instantly.

Good stuff!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Amen, i got mine on wednesday and its great. Plus i got the bonus version with the extra dvd has lots of extras and footage from the upcoming battle of britain, wich i might add looks fantastic, the cockpits look so photorealistic.

Has anyone succesfully tried to catch up to a V-1 and tip it using your wing? I tried and kinda half did it and lost my rudder :D Also lading on carriers is great fun.

Upvote 0
Reddog said:
The experimental planes are good fun, my favourite has to be the Heinkel-Lersche. Mostly because it feels like I am flying a tie fighter but also because it is a great plane to lose people in being that it has no wing profile so you can roll it and break totally unpredictably. Also packs a heavy punch with it's cannons, can make 600Km/h, turns sharply and is nigh un-stallable.

Try to land it without Autopilot :D

Upvote 0
Are those E's? You crazy bastard.

Anyway, I got my joystick tweaked, and now I can turn rudder fully, and turn and climb is much better. I once shot down a V1 when was going 550 in a K-4. Got it burning. What I really hate though, is when people are stupid enough to try take you down evem if it means to kill themselves even though it means they won't get any points whatsoever. I kinda dislike full realism. The cockpit only view kinda restricts me, and I developed some ****ty addiction to that damned noobview.

http://www.airwarfare.com/tactics/tactics_fighter.htm for some interesting help.

I also found out about a few decent paintjobs which I outfitted with indecent pictures. Important: people can't see my paintschemes online and I can't see theirs even though I have skin download on, as does the server and the players. Some help please.

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried using the mistel?

The explosion from that thing is huge, like a nuke!

I'll try and get pics up later

Edit here is a gif i made of a mistel dropping:
mistel4jb.gif

That was the most accurate shot i made with it too :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I kinda dislike full realism. The cockpit only view kinda restricts me, and I developed some ****ty addiction to that damned noobview.

yeah, I'm with you there, I always have external views enabled when I play, and I almost never play online anymore because usually the only servers that have externals enabled are dogfight servers where everyone's either in a Lavochkin, Spitfire, or Focke-Wulf.

Upvote 0
E's are good but the F4 is my fave, aweome handling, fast accelration, good dive rate, all the perks like retractable tail wheels.

In regards to the paintschemes, you have to play for a while to download them all, because most of them are quite large and you only have a small amoutn of bandwidth dedicated to it so it can take a good amount of time to get any.

Upvote 0
What realism settings do online servers usually run?

I'm playing sp now and I can handle not having exterior views, but I kinda dislike not having friend-foe icons. It's just way too confusing in sp.

I'm still a noob, but I guess i'm improving. I hope multiplayer will be as fun as I think it could be.

BTW: I found out HOMAS (hands on mouse and stick) works pretty well once you get used to it (mouse wheel is my throttle :p). It's probably the closest to TrackIR for us casual gamers..

Upvote 0