• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Il-2 thread

Most servers run with no external, cocpit always on, and most settings on realistic. Most difference I see is how minimap is handled. Some has no minimap path and plane icons, some have combination of those.

Friend foe icons were on on all servers I've played on, they just show up when you're like 2000-500mt from planes, depending on servers.

Upvote 0
What realism settings do online servers usually run?

I'm playing sp now and I can handle not having exterior views, but I kinda dislike not having friend-foe icons. It's just way too confusing in sp.

I'm still a noob, but I guess i'm improving. I hope multiplayer will be as fun as I think it could be.

BTW: I found out HOMAS (hands on mouse and stick) works pretty well once you get used to it (mouse wheel is my throttle :p). It's probably the closest to TrackIR for us casual gamers..

Most servers run with external disabled/cockpit always on. But there is enough variation among servers, there are only 1 or 2 servers that have icons/minimap disabled.

I have an X52 and it has a small mouse stick on the throttle, really handy :D.

Upvote 0
After two weeks of playing online daily, I finally scored my first kill early this morning. I downed a Yak-9UT and then a Ta-152H in my 109K-4

Here's the screenie I took:
first_kill.jpg

I've been flying the 109K-4 and 190A-9 pretty much exclusively. I have problems with the 190 though. I try and keep airspeed above 350km/h at all times but it's hard in a dogfight--especially when you have to pull constantly split s's and scissors to evade people on your tail.

How does HOMAS work? Which hand is on the joystick and which is on the mouse? What about important things like flaps, throttle, and boost/wep?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm still working on a good setup, fortunately my mouse has 5 buttons (of which on the other hand 2 are unsuitable for left hand use and the middle mouse button doesn't seem to work in IL2). But so far it's:
left mouse button: normal view
right mouse button: "panorama" view
4th mose button: center view (kinda funtions as a "reset view" button if I screwed up my view)
mouse wheel: throttle (had to tweak the axis sensivity in the config.ini file a bit)

My stick (Saitek Cyborg evo) does all the other control functions:
1st button: fire primary
5th button (left of the coolie hat): fire secondary
6th b (right of coolie hat): fire all guns
3rd,2nd and 4th button are in a row and thus very suitable for flaps up, flaps down and boost, although i'm still thinking about using the coolie hat for something different than the snap views. Like I said, still tweaking. It's still far from optimal and maybe I would be better with a standard setup. But I thought most servers would run on "no icons" and it's very very challenging to keep track of your enemy then. Oh and it's left hand->mouse, right hand->stick of course.

I guess I should stop practicing and get to fighting :p

Nah I better wait until I stop crash-landing the Me109 on every second try....:eek:

Upvote 0
I have problems with the 190 though. I try and keep airspeed above 350km/h at all times but it's hard in a dogfight--especially when you have to pull constantly split s's and scissors to evade people on your tail.

heh, ask any IL-2 online junkie and he'll tell you that the best way to fight in a Focke-Wulf is by gaining altitude, making a single pass on your target, then climbing back up and finding another target to dive on if your first target was shot down. try it, it's what the real 190 pilots did, although they went straight for home after the first pass.

Upvote 0
Nice job. I never could get the hang of guiding a mistrel or a 1946 X Rocket to target.

Something I have noticed about flying online is that 99% of players do turn and burn instead of boom and zoom tactics even if in a B&Z type airplane.

Sometimes this is simply due to the fact that the opposing air bases are simply too close to gain enough of an altitude advantage for an energy zoom fight.

If you can, try this tactic if you keep getting shot down.

Choose a b&z plane over a T&B plane. Something like a FW ta, 109k or a P47 or P51 etc. Now gain a three to four altitude advantage over the other enemy fighters. Now that you are way up there with the angles, the enemy will not even notice or care abour you. Use your altitude to zoom in at super high speed to knock them out when they do not see you.

Then use your reserve energy from your dive to regain your altitude advantage by climbing back up to your high altitude spot as fast a possible without your prey giving chase.

If all works well they will not catch up to you and get either frustrated trying to catch up to you or they will get jumped by a fellow teammate doing T&B and you will be safe to set yourself up for attack on your next prey.

Better yet, he will go down in flames as you climb back up to your perch. Think hawk and rabbit here and do not get tempted into turning with a Yak, Spit or La T&B fighter.

I have better success with this tactic if I carry a few bombs to their AB and sometimes I can get two or three kills if I am lucky enough. Note that most servers allow this but frown or dissalow use of guns and rockets against grounded aircraft trying to taxi or takeoff. Always check your server rules before fighting.

Upvote 0
Kipper,

When you take off, do it in the opposit direction of the battle and then climb away from the battle front.

This is the only way do it.

Or if there is an alternate air base available, use it.

On some servers you have enemy planes constantly circling or vulching because either the bases are too close or because one team is stacked over the other.

The solution is to go to the secondary airfield if there is one. If not, then find another server to play on. That's whay I do. Unfortunately there are bad players in Il2 just like there are in RO.

Upvote 0
I am quickly falling in love with the late war La-7 with the three nose cannons, it's fast, manoverable and packs a punch, everything I want in an aircraft!!!

On the other hand I can't stand the FW190, it's an utter pig to fly, handles like a bucket full of ****, but I am a more turn and dogfight pilot than zoom and boomer which is why I guess it just doesn't suit me.

The other day in an Aussie server with my fly buddies I scored a head on kill against one of two bogies flying at me then swung around got on the second ones arse and had him and then wounded and with my enginee dieing flew back to base and landed it gliding, scored a nice 300 odd points in one hit :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like going up in the Ta and using those x4 on p38s and bombers and even the enemy airbases. You can use the bombsight adjustment to guide them to your foes. If not in the Ta ill go for a 109, mabye the dora FW.

Ill mostly play the big top for some quick action, then when i want to go full realism theres a few servers that do that to. Co-op is great aswell.

I love using the TA jet version with its 4 x4s for ground pounding + its 4 30mm cannons which hold a good amount of ammo.

My name is kaleus on HL, see you on your 6.

Upvote 0
Awesome! I look forward to grabbing this game. My last flight simming experience was with Ace of Aces...lol...Atari 7800 I believe :p

...At least until a few days ago when I picked up a copy of First Eagles: The Great Air War 1918. Then I found myself hooked again. Of course it's as vanilla as Silent Hunter III when it was first released...but mods are coming in at a steady rate.

Another Il-2 1946 question: It's my understanding that all the previous versions of IL-2 are also included on this DVD...are all the older releases revamped/updated to match the current graphics and gamplay standards as the new 1946 game?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Upvote 0
In case you haven't noticed already, the final 4.08m patch as well as dedicated server is out now:

http://pacific-fighters.com/en/home.php

EDIT:
Changelog:
Corrections:

-Updated the J2M5 Artificial Horizon;
-Modified the Ta-183 Variometer;
-Updated the MiG-3 Landing Gear Indicator;
-Corrected the brakes animation in the LaGG-3 and Yak-1 / Yak-7;
-Updated weapons and ammunition types on the He-162C/D, Yak-15, N1K2-Ja, P-63C, CR.42;
-Modified the retraction of the tailwheel on the N1K2-Ja;
-Corrected the brakes on the N1K;
-Updated the Il-10 Fuel level indicator;
-Updated the trigger animation on the Ki-43-IIKai, N1K2-Ja;
-Modified instrument panel damage on the Ta-183;
-Updated rudder animation on the Lerche-III;
-Updated the Yak-15 compass;
-Modified the canopy framework on the N1K2-Ja, both internally and externally;
-Corrected the armored seat back on the MiG-13 and I-250;
-Modified the FAB-1000 bomb position in the A-20C bomb bay;
-Updated trimmer indicators on the J2M5;
-Updated trimmer indicators and controls on the Ar-234B;
-Modified damage model of the Ki-27 wings;
-Corrected distances in the K-14 gun sight;
-Corrected the J2M5’s altimeter;
-Updated the flap sounds on the Pe-2 series;
-Changed Il-10 rear gunner compartment sounds to an “enclosed cabin” type;
-Corrected Ki-27 flap sounds;
-Decreased the volume of certain ground-based guns as heard in the cockpit;
-Modified Ta-183’s AI routines;
-Changed parameters for the Ta-183, Me-262HG-II, Lerche-III, Bf-109F-2, MiG-13/I-250, Yak-3R;
-Updated Object Viewer data for the Yak-3R and A-20C; -Modified the MG42;
-Updated the in-game credits;
-Fixed errors in loadout names for certain planes;
-Fixed the A-20C crew error;
-Updated the canopy damage model on the MiG-9;
-Fixed the MiG-9 artificial horizon;
-Modified the engine shut-down parameters at low altitude for the MiG-9 (I-300);
-Fixed the ground clipping on MiG-9’s landing gear;
-Updated animations for the landing gear, flap and gear levers, bank indicator, and pylons on the Ta-183;
-Fixed Lerche-III fuel level indicator;
-Il-10’s ShKAS ammo load set to 2x750;
-Removed the duplicated loadouts on the I-153P;
-Fixed tracer colors on the Ki-43 and Ki-61;
-Removed the GM-1 from the Ta-152C (which now only has the MW-50);
-Updated the engine temperature parameters on the Tempest V;
-Modified an airfield in Burma;
-Fixed textures in the following cockpits: A-20C; Ar-234; Il-10;
MiG-9; Ta-183; Yak-15; Yak-3R; Pe-2 84th Series;
-Modified air-to-air AI on the Ar-234;
-Fixed the bug when hits on the Ar-234’s #1 engine set #2 on fire;
-Modified G4M1 flight model;
-Protected fuel tanks on the J2M and La-5;
-Modified the propeller on the N1K2-Ja;
-Fixed the altitude indicator on The J2M5;
-Fixed the landing gear indicator on the He-162.

Also:

The server can now check for changes on the client-side game modules, i.e. ensure the modules were not modified. To enable the check, a new key was added to the conf.ini file.

In order to set the client-side verification parameters you will need to manually edit the conf.ini file located in your main game folder before launching the game. Open the file with a text editor, find the [NET] section and in the checkRuntime = line write in either 0 or 1 (or 2), then save the file. If the checkRuntime = line does not exist in your conf.ini file, add it to the end of the [NET] section.

checkRuntime=0-no check is made (default);
checkRuntime=1-quick check;
checkRuntime=2-comprehensive check.

NOTE: during the comprehensive check, if the client runs a different OS version from the client, the check may identify the OS differences as changes in game modules.

New maps:

Desert Online: Ian Boys, Vladimir Kochmarsky, Ray Gr

Last edited:
Upvote 0