Il-2 thread

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Obr.Lt.Scheisskopf

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 24, 2006
At first I thought you meant a fighter but fighter's don't have bathrooms. You never get 1 on 1's anymore. i'll get you in the first minute, I'll be badly damged, you'll be dead. Too many people turn it down when I ask for a 1 on 1.

Wanna 1 on 1?
Yeah right.

Moz

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
if you are flying straight and level you deserve to get kicked in the face in a head on attack.

I didn't dogfight a lot in IL2 because I don't have a rudder system (no pedals or twist stick) so its ground pounding for me. (raiding airfields in mossies = fun)

Britney Federline

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
So because you guys are all so cool, and I want to be like you, I bought the super three pack of IL2/Lockon/PF. It's great, except that the Pacific Fighters part won't install--I get a directory with no executable, and a desktop shortcut that goes to nothing. HELP ME!!

Helmi

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 15, 2006
Germany
Uhm, then you either bought the wrong pack, because 1946 is only a single install or you installed it wrong, because you'll have to do the merged installation which will leave you with a 3in1 game and only one executable, IL2FB.exe

Dav1d

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 17, 2006
Bournemouth, Uk
I Ordered 1946 yesterday, should arrive tuesday.

Just have a few questions about it :)

What are these new experimental planes like?

Also are there any must have mods to download?

Reddog

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 7, 2005
Australia
Got 1946 and its fooking GREAT!

Just actually came from a six hour dog fighting session with some friends, we were doing all sorts of crazy stuff like one person piloting a B-25 and manning the guns while we all took fighters and tried to shoot it down. Goddamn the B-25 is a tough cookie! I seem to do best in the MiG 3ud I like it's handling, firepower and sight picture.

The experimental planes are good fun, my favourite has to be the Heinkel-Lersche. Mostly because it feels like I am flying a tie fighter but also because it is a great plane to lose people in being that it has no wing profile so you can roll it and break totally unpredictably. Also packs a heavy punch with it's cannons, can make 600Km/h, turns sharply and is nigh un-stallable.

Speaking of dog fights I had a massive one with one of my friends. We made a pass at each other head on, then I got behind him, he hit the deck and I followed and a very tight chase developed at extremely low altitude with him just managing to pull tightly out of my sights several times. We then lost each other over a ridge line so I gained a little height and wheeled around for a look only to see him doing the same, this resulted in another head on pass in which I blew one of his wings off sending him into a death spin and he winged my pilot right in the face killing me instantly.

Good stuff!

Last edited:

Dav1d

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 17, 2006
Bournemouth, Uk
Amen, i got mine on wednesday and its great. Plus i got the bonus version with the extra dvd has lots of extras and footage from the upcoming battle of britain, wich i might add looks fantastic, the cockpits look so photorealistic.

Has anyone succesfully tried to catch up to a V-1 and tip it using your wing? I tried and kinda half did it and lost my rudder :D Also lading on carriers is great fun.

Rak

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 23, 2005
D
Reddog said:
The experimental planes are good fun, my favourite has to be the Heinkel-Lersche. Mostly because it feels like I am flying a tie fighter but also because it is a great plane to lose people in being that it has no wing profile so you can roll it and break totally unpredictably. Also packs a heavy punch with it's cannons, can make 600Km/h, turns sharply and is nigh un-stallable.

Try to land it without Autopilot :D

Dav1d

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 17, 2006
Bournemouth, Uk
I can do that, but i leave a nice hole behind :p

Unless you mean using the airbrake that makes it so much easier i can land it pretty much everytime using it.

Vulture

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Anyone have some tips for online play? I seem to be constantly getting destroyed, haven't played IL2 in years and just got back in with 1946.

Obr.Lt.Scheisskopf

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 24, 2006
Are those E's? You crazy bastard.

Anyway, I got my joystick tweaked, and now I can turn rudder fully, and turn and climb is much better. I once shot down a V1 when was going 550 in a K-4. Got it burning. What I really hate though, is when people are stupid enough to try take you down evem if it means to kill themselves even though it means they won't get any points whatsoever. I kinda dislike full realism. The cockpit only view kinda restricts me, and I developed some ****ty addiction to that damned noobview.

http://www.airwarfare.com/tactics/tactics_fighter.htm for some interesting help.

I also found out about a few decent paintjobs which I outfitted with indecent pictures. Important: people can't see my paintschemes online and I can't see theirs even though I have skin download on, as does the server and the players. Some help please.

Dav1d

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 17, 2006
Bournemouth, Uk
Has anyone tried using the mistel?

The explosion from that thing is huge, like a nuke!

I'll try and get pics up later

Edit here is a gif i made of a mistel dropping:

That was the most accurate shot i made with it too :p

Last edited:

Makabi

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 1, 2006
Western Canada
I kinda dislike full realism. The cockpit only view kinda restricts me, and I developed some ****ty addiction to that damned noobview.

yeah, I'm with you there, I always have external views enabled when I play, and I almost never play online anymore because usually the only servers that have externals enabled are dogfight servers where everyone's either in a Lavochkin, Spitfire, or Focke-Wulf.

Zoring

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
E's are good but the F4 is my fave, aweome handling, fast accelration, good dive rate, all the perks like retractable tail wheels.

In regards to the paintschemes, you have to play for a while to download them all, because most of them are quite large and you only have a small amoutn of bandwidth dedicated to it so it can take a good amount of time to get any.

CatMangler

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
UK
I really like the look & feel of this game. Sadly I dont have the time to invest on learning how to fly well enough for combat missions :/

I would be ok'ish with SP but I recon I would be easy meat in an on-line dogfight.

How long does it take to become a proficent pilot?

KrazyKraut

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Beer capital of the world
What realism settings do online servers usually run?

I'm playing sp now and I can handle not having exterior views, but I kinda dislike not having friend-foe icons. It's just way too confusing in sp.

I'm still a noob, but I guess i'm improving. I hope multiplayer will be as fun as I think it could be.

BTW: I found out HOMAS (hands on mouse and stick) works pretty well once you get used to it (mouse wheel is my throttle :p). It's probably the closest to TrackIR for us casual gamers..