• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

If you're running out of space due to a large cache folder...

Benjamin

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
France
Since I've now installed a 128GB SSD and put KF on it I've realised the rather large cache size (currently +5GB just from playing on about 7 different servers) is going to swallow up valuable storage that I need for other files, yet I want to keep the KF installation on the SSD since it loads faster. I've found it's possible to specify a completely different location for the game's cache folder, allowing you to even use a folder on another drive. This means you can benefit from the improved loading an SSD gives but prevent custom content from filling up your limited space.

1. Locate KillingFloor.ini in the game's System folder. On a default installation the path should look something like this:

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\KillingFloor\System

2. Open the file in Notepad or other text editing software, and locate the CachePath= line under [Core.System].

3. Change the path to wherever you want, using an absolute path. For example I used:

CachePath=D:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\KillingFloor\Cache

4. Save the file.

5. You're done!

Any difference in terms of performance, loading times, similar issues or other drawbacks on this change? Caches are AFAIK used to preload files the "faster" way. When your D: storage device is a HDD, then I guess it might have some drawback.

KF Cache folder is used to store packages downloaded from the servers. I have 120GB SSD + HDD myself, and I was supposed to move games from SSD to HDD due to lack of space too. Tbh I didn't noticed significant increase of KF loading speed after moving it from SSD to HDD. Dunno, maybe because I have 10000RPM WD VelociRaptor?

Upvote 0
I mean, it's not like KF has a lot of stuff to load. >_>; It has a max mem usage of what, like 2GB? Assuming 100MB/s that's roughly like 20 seconds MAX. It never loads everything at once too. =x Any decent HDD should be more than good enough for KF.

I mean sure, Having RAID 5 with 10 SSDs in the array will speed things up. But your money is better spent getting a better GPU so you can actually play Hillbilly Horror/Steamland with decent FPS. pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

Upvote 0
I wouldn't recommend buying an SSD simply for games (it does reduce loading times somewhat though, depending on the game), but if you have an SSD and you have some space to spare it's a good idea to keep your most-played games on there. You can always copy the game folder to another HDD if you start to run low on space.

I mean, it's not like KF has a lot of stuff to load. >_>; It has a max mem usage of what, like 2GB? Assuming 100MB/s that's roughly like 20 seconds MAX.

That metric doesn't apply since the files aren't stored as a neat little 2GB block on the HDD; it is numerous files all in different locations. Since SSD's don't have a seek time as such it doesn't matter where the files are; they are all accessed at the same speed. That's what you benefit from.

----

I will add that running an OS on an SSD gives significant performance improvements over even the fastest HDD's, both in boot time and general use. Considering how cheap you can get a 64/128GB SSD for these days there's little reason not to get one if you want the best performance out of your computer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be honest, and with the research i've done, SSDs are good for windows and programs. Don't use them for games till they become cheaper, but much bigger in terms of total space. They are a waste of money for the money for the price you get it for compared to HDDs.

I love your alternative though as that will make it easier for a lot of people who had installed KF like you have. Personally, it's on steam so people should of realised they will run out of space eventually. Now do remember, steam has made it so you can install games manually in another space (not sure if KF is also with this rule - not tried it myself as I installed steam onto my second HDD due to space taken up by games and mods for KF :D).

Upvote 0
That metric doesn't apply since the files aren't stored as a neat little 2GB block on the HDD; it is numerous files all in different locations. Since SSD's don't have a seek time as such it doesn't matter where the files are; they are all accessed at the same speed. That's what you benefit from.

I've gotten 150MB/s+ reads from large files, and generally games don't have a ton of small files (and yes I know how filesystems work, I <3 inodes). Yeah man, milliseconds, a lot time in cycles but for humans it isn't much, especially for something you aren't loading a lot. For small programs that don't have much to load the seek time is proportionally large, but the larger the program data the lesser of seek time is proportional to the load time. Plus good OSs will buffer/cache hard drive data to make rereads faster, so assuming have you enough RAM you just benefit for the first read. With my whole KF install being less than my amount of RAM, the OS could cache most of the game files. Hell, if you really want to get fast load times, but it in tmpfs and load it on boot. =3

Don't get me wrong, I love my SSD, it's just I don't see a huge relative benefit for putting games on them because cost/GB.

TR;DR version, I love SSDs but not for games.

Upvote 0