• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

If you wanna make a cuban revolution mod...

Mikhail Kalashnikov

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
From reading all kinds of sources i now have a good grasp of the weapons used in the cuban revolution. as follows:
Guns definitely used by the revolutionaries:
scoped hunting rifles
Johnson Automatic Rifles
Thompson Submachineguns
Madsen machine guns
one or two 50 calibers
revolvers and pistols, likely some colt 45's

Guns used by Batista's regime(some of these not 100% sure about. they were supplied mostly with american stuff though):
M1 Garand(rebels often captured them)
browning 30 caliber(unsure, but likely)
M60 light machinegun(possible)
50 caliber machinegun
thompson submachineguns(very likely)
m3 grease guns(possible)

I remember someone posted on these forums a month or two ago about making a conversion to the cuban revolution, so this post is mostly for that guy, or anyone else with interest in making a mod about cuba. if anyone needs any links to pics, especially for the madsen and the johnson, just lemme know.

Hi!

Holy sh... now, THAT would rock :)

/me imagines close combat fights in Santiago de Cuba...large search and destroy maps in the Sierra Maestra...maybe even combined arms fights with m4 shermans in the outskirts of La Havana? :)

Always loved to see a Spanish civil war modification...but this would even beat it!
Seems kinda hard to find ressources, though, especially regarding the history/ equipment of Batista's army...anynody knows some good sources?

Anyways, allready found the menu-music:

Hasta La Victoria Siempre!

:D

greetz,
gitano

Upvote 0
ill defnitely relay the idea there, but problem is i don't know how this would all come about. either someone else will make this mod(and give me credit for the idea i hope), or i'll have to make it myself, but with alot, ALOT of help.
I have absolutely no experience with modding, mapmaking, etc, and have no clue how i'd go about doing it.

P.S. BAR's were used by the batista regime. i have also confirmed that 30 calibers were used as well. it should be pretty easy to make the weapons for the government forces, seeing as its all pretty much american WW2 stuff that most everyone is familiar with.
the rebels were also at times so poorly armed that columns were sometimes equipped with american cowboy era winchester shotguns and rifles, maxim machineguns(all the above were often in poor, unusable condition), and even blunderbusses!
Barnett_FL_Blunderbuss_2_.JPG
blunderbuss, most feared weapon used by Che's column!(jk)

Upvote 0
En Cuba era mejor! :p

I'm Cuban... and this sounds very very cool.

I'll be brutally honest, however: there are plenty of mod ideas, and while this is by far the most original I've heard, it really needs both a dedicated team of developers as well as a fanbase who is willing to play it.

RO:O had trouble finding fans, and its based on a widely known and studied theatre of war. Most people know next to nothing about the Cuban revolution.

Which is a shame... this would be a unique game, with a mix of WWII and Cold War era weaponry and vehicles. And the terrain, with a mix of mountains and farmland plus some urban environments, would be quite interesting.

Here's a "Bay of Pigs" era A-26 Invader I photographed at my local airport here in Miami:

A26_1-1.jpg

Upvote 0
If you do make this mod I would be very interested in joining as a coder. I don't have any experience with UE coding though, but I've always wanted to get into that.

I've been writing little programs in Pascal, C, JavaScript and stuff since my early teens, so I am quite confident that I am able to get a grasp of it by online documentation.

I have played ROMod since beta 1.2, so I also have some experience with it as a player, ue console, and stuff.

Upvote 0
well, like i said, i have no experience coding or mapping or anything at all, but i do have a nice bundle of material on the revolution, through the internet and a book or two i've got. if anybody is serious about wanting to put this together, know that right now im not even college age and therefore for me this would be something to be done in spare time(luckily i have some). So, know that we wouldn't have much a budget at all and that i myself will probably be the historian of the group. if more than a few people still wanna do this after all that being said, please pm me.

Upvote 0
christ, that would be fun!please, PLEASE dont let this mod flounder!
Being a 16 year old nub with practically no skills except for slight modeling in SecondLife, I'd pretty much be useless to yall, but I'd love to help out just the same...
if yall need any help w/ research, making a website (which is probably the only thing i'd be good for), or generally kissing ass, don't hesitate to ask; i've got no car and a lot of free time to kill.

Also...dunno about any specific battles in the revolution, but how well would the engine handle jungle environments?

Upvote 0
I've got no clue how the engine would do the jungle, but i'll be optimistic for now. well, we definitely could use a website and possible private forums Soup, and itd be helpful if you could help with research and getting pictures of the
Sierra Maestra and things. If any gun nuts out there know the look and the sights of the more obscure weapons, such as the johnson auto rifle for example, that kind of help would go a long way.

Upvote 0
Mikhail Kalashnikov said:
I've got no clue how the engine would do the jungle, but i'll be optimistic for now. well, we definitely could use a website and possible private forums Soup, and itd be helpful if you could help with research and getting pictures of the
Sierra Maestra and things. If any gun nuts out there know the look and the sights of the more obscure weapons, such as the johnson auto rifle for example, that kind of help would go a long way.
Probably the same as in Men of Valor: Vietnam .;)
But Men of Valor: Vietnam had the typical 2015 texturing quality of nill... :D

Upvote 0
As far as the jungle goes - I don't want to spoil enthusiasm here, but I'm not that optimistic. I remember that EastPrussia map in the mod was extremely laggy particularly because there was a lot of foliage. Since foliage has much more surface than, say, a rock or a house, it also has more texture, plus the smaller parts maybe move and stuff.

Considering what DingBat wrote in the Africa Campaign thread:
DingBat said:
I suggest selecting ONE battle as the core effort for the first release of your mod. I might suggest Tobruk. From that figure out what weapons, art, code you might need. Use the level to "pull" stuff from the art team and the coders. The pull model makes it less likely that people will waste time working on stuff that won't make it into a level.
it would probably be best if we start with a map with static environment, that is rocks and less foliage, if this is logically possible with the landscape of Cuba. (Edit here - I don't know if what I said applies to Sierra Maestra)

Well, and while we're at collecting ideas, how about that for a menu background instead of the soldier aiming:
che-pistol-big.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
nice pic right there! while we're on ideas, something i really want to encorporate into this mod is the guerilla tactic of stealing the enemy's equipment. Like in regular RO, this mod will also have those big ammo dumps around the map. The guerilla forces will typically be less than well equipped, with only so-so weapons and a noticably low(but not TOO low) amount of ammo per man. In order to aquire better stuff, members of the rebel team can find one of those ammo piles(these will typically be in enemy capture points, so as to be better guarded by the army) and press the use key to acquire boxes of guns and ammo. the rebel who picks it up will actually have to hold the stuff in his arms and run back to the spawn where the weapons and ammo will be added to the teams stockpile.
after this is done, a limited amount of enemy weapons(usually m1 garands and carbines, machine guns on occasion) will be available for the rebels to spawn with, and most every weapon you spawn in with will have extra ammunition as well. be sure not to get slaughtered too much if you pick to use the captured munitions, as the finite number of them go down everytime you spawn in with them.
depleting the regime's ammo dumps hurts the government troops as well as aiding the rebels. after a few thefts, eventually the goverment troops will be spawning in with less ammo than before.
what do you guys think of this idea?

Upvote 0
Hiho, nices ideas there :)

As for the UE2.5 handling jungle stuff: Dunno, but when i remember the Tali Ihantala forest map, it runs without a problem...shouldnt be that problem, just my guess.

But, anyways, doesnt have to be a jungle-only-mod, city maps and/ or villages would match very good as well.

For a starting map. just an idea, but what a bout the initial attack at the Moncada barracks back in 1953?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moncada_Barracks or http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moncada-Kaserne for some more pics.

Need to make sure what time this mod will cover, anyhow, i'd suggest starting with the landing of the Granma in december 1956 until final victory in La Habana 1959 would fit more into it.

greetz,
gitano

Upvote 0
I think basically this is a great idea but I currently have no Idea how difficult it would be to implement a loadout that depends on capped areas.

For a start we could try giving both teams few ammo and the batista troops spawn close to ammo depots. By capping points the guerilleros shift back the regimes spawns from the depots and theirs closer. Would be more a mapping thing, though.

One thing I would really like to be implemented later on is some kind of campaign system, like the one Alien Swarm uses, or like it is suggested in
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6001

/linuX/gitano said:
Need to make sure what time this mod will cover, anyhow, i'd suggest starting with the landing of the Granma in december 1956 until final victory in La Habana 1959 would fit more into it.
If we do this, we could make the mod's subtitle "Granma"

Upvote 0
i think thats probably a good idea on how to start, uberzelt. overtime we should be able to find out what works best. the subtitle could probably be Granma Expedition: 1956-59
on other notes, it'd be a good idea if we could get some native speaking cubans at some point to do voices. I can speak just about perfect spanish, but my family is northern mexican, and my accent is regiomontano as a result, completely out of place for the cuban revolution.
On the idea of the moncada barracks raid, that map would be rather unfair, considering that historically the rebels got massacred and were very poorly armed, many only having pistols and other with springfield rifles. the rebels were also hopelessly outnumbered.
with that said, this mod will probably only encompass everything during and post the landing of the Granma.

Upvote 0