• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Tuning] If you hang/crash at the splash screen!

PUTZ

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Baltimore, MD, USA
I know a lot of you are experiencing a freeze/hang/lockup soon after the RO2 splash screen appears. We need to know more about why it's stopping.

The first step is to enable your log.

To do this, go to Steam > Library > Right-click on RO2 > Properties > Set Launch Options

In the launch options window add "-log" without the quotes. Close and move on to part 2.

We also want you to unsuppress some logging information. If your game actually launches, it probably won't run very well. Again, this is mainly for people who actually get stuck at the screen all the time.

Navigate to documents\mygames\redorchestra2\rogame\config and open ROEngine.ini.

Scroll down and you'll find a section with a lot of Suppress lines like so:

Code:
Suppress=Dev
Suppress=DevAbsorbFuncs
Suppress=DevAnim
Suppress=DevAssetDataBase
Please add a semi-colon in front of every Suppress line so it looks like this:

Code:
;Suppress=Dev
;Suppress=DevAbsorbFuncs
;Suppress=DevAnim
;Suppress=DevAssetDataBase
Once that is done, save the file and launch the game.

You should see a ton of logspam. This is normal. If it hard locks again or just sits there, please navigate to the log window itself and hit Ctrl+C to close it down gently.

Once that is done, please attach your .log and any .dmp files that are created in a post down below. Do not cut and paste.

Log & dump files can be found here:
documents\mygames\redorchestra2\rogame\logs

Last edited:
I just followed this guide step by step but the only thing i get is an empty launch.log... no .dmp file.
So what am i supposed to do?

I suppose i could copy/paste in a .txt file what appears in the log window when i launch RO2 but i'm not sure
if it would be of any use to you guys?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have been playing with little problem since day 2 post release. Just updated via Steam to latest version and game and now won't load. Initial splash screen visible for 15 sec or so before crashing every time.

Attachments

• Launch.log
    7.2 KB · Views: 0
  • unreal-v7258-2011.09.23-00.56.34.dmp
    311.5 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Followed the instructions above .. get a DOS type window when I run RO2 but the launch log file is empty.(I ran this several times)
The splash screen displays on screen while the log is running but goes no farther once the log is finished.
Just to make sure I did this correctly .. I found 55 lines that started with suppress.
Instructions said to add a semi-colon in front of EVER suppress line, so that is what I did.

Why am I getting nothing in my log file???

Before I made the changes as instructed, I allowed the spash screen to run for a full 12 minutes as someone had stated the game would start if allowed to run for 4 minutes.

Don't know if this will help, but on one try, my hard drive started running almost continuously after about 3 minutes as if it was trying to load, then I noticed the DVD drive with the retail RO2 DVD was also running. I allowed this to run for probably another 7-8 minutes, then decided to remove the DVD.
The HD then went back to it's normal cycle but nothing happened over the next few minutes, so I finally shut down the game.exe.

Reactions: jawdpw
Upvote 0