• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

If you build it, they will come

highness

Jul 30, 2006
If you wanted more gamers to show up, then build some type of stats system. Not like the lame, buggy BF2 global stats system but one that each server admin has the ability to turn on and off and run locally via their own MySQL database. Since you already have the sweet Web Interface built into the game. Build a mysql/php stats system and you may have some more heads show up. Not that you have any shortage of gamers. Just a suggestion though :D

FYI

People like the numbers man. I know I did with BF2 until EA reset me for no reason cuz I never cheated or stat padded. I either pissed of an admin or got reset for going 115 and 0 on Iron Gator chopper whoring. Once I was reset, I found no interest in the game because I had no numbers anymore after a year of playing. I think that most of the people that still play that bug infested game do so simply to get more stats! Anyway, thats what the numbers do to you.

In every thread about stats I post basically the same thing:

Integrate ROO into the Steam stat collecting feature and allow players to log their stats be SteamID if they so choose. Also allow player's to select if their stats should be private or public. All stats should be included in "overall game stats" such as, maps played, weapon acuracy, kills with weapon, deaths by weapon and prehaps for certain map stats "deaths in map area," average player life time, along of course with all the old player stats etc. check out www.rostats.net for more ideas.

Given all this, Ramm is a very buisy guy, so if you have coding talent maybe you can look in to getting things integrated ;)

Upvote 0
Sgt.Rock said:
but the "they" your talking about might not be people we would care to associate with (IF YOU TAKE MY CHOPPER, IM GONNA C4 YOU's).

Without stats, we play for the fun of it, and we build reputations by being good at the game, instead of using tricks to build stats.

yep, by they I obviously wasn't talking to you. Having a little time making heads or teals of what you were saying since you did not use coherent English.

Upvote 0
Well, stats withouth a gimiked ranking system would be best IMO, and not everyone would have to use them.

I was recently on a server where the admin read out the kills and deaths for everyone over the mic, it was AWESOME, having that kind of info is priceless for clans and could really help the ladders process games in a more fair way (MAYBE, it might be too much though).

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
In every thread about stats I post basically the same thing:

Integrate ROO into the Steam stat collecting feature and allow players to log their stats be SteamID if they so choose. Also allow player's to select if their stats should be private or public. All stats should be included in "overall game stats" such as, maps played, weapon acuracy, kills with weapon, deaths by weapon and prehaps for certain map stats "deaths in map area," average player life time, along of course with all the old player stats etc. check out www.rostats.net for more ideas.

Given all this, Ramm is a very buisy guy, so if you have coding talent maybe you can look in to getting things integrated ;)

bla bla bla. Yep, and in all posts I basically post the same thing. It doesn't work so why would we want to even waste time with it? The stats don't generate on the server. If you have done it before, post the instructions or a link to the forum entry with how to do it. Otherwise, what the hell are you talking about when you say the "Steam Stat collector"? that's so funny you linked me to rostats. I aint including my stats with any other server. Besides the stats never generate anyway. I had them generate in my home directory (lame) for like 5 minutes but couldn't get them to generate in their proper place. I chalked it up to not working. You do know that rostats.net is running stats off of the 3.0 mod right? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Well, stats withouth a gimiked ranking system would be best IMO, and not everyone would have to use them.

I was recently on a server where the admin read out the kills and deaths for everyone over the mic, it was AWESOME, having that kind of info is priceless for clans and could really help the ladders process games in a more fair way (MAYBE, it might be too much though).

gimiked ranking system? wow, not sure what you are even referring too or talking about but the original post is simply suggesting that Tripwire include a system builtin to the game. Ladders are lame. We just kill each other in RO and don't worry about clans, ladders, CAL, etc. I am simply talking about some type of psychostats system for RO and nothing else. The Steam stats collector you were talking about doesn't even exist. Are you talking about each player sending in their stats? Well, that is just lame. Anything short of the server generating stats and a MySQL/PHP interface would be lame, period. No biggie though, I guess you don't understand running a server (and Im not talking about a gaming server). Oh yeah, and of course not everyone has to use them. WTF? If you don't go to the webpage to view them, then you are not using them. No one really uses them anyway, they just view them. I have ran stats, linux gaming servers for years and it looks like you don't really even know what you are talking about.

Upvote 0
Except for my reference to BF2's known issue of people TK'ing for helo's, where was my english incoherent?

Back on topic, you even said yourself that you were chopper whoring. Well if your willing to do it for stats, then the people that RO's stat system will attract will lprobably start tank whoring. People already kill other people for tanks (some even put satchels as they drive away) and a stat system like BF2's (or anywhere near that) is going cause an increase in this kind of action.

If anything, I would thing it would be neat to have an honor system like AA. Taking objectives and winning give a decent amount of points, while killing has the potential to give a lot of points, for each individual kill, its not that much. At the same time, friendly fire and Tk'ing greatly detracts from your honor.

If a system like that was implemented, it would be adjusted to RO's style of gameplay (since it isnt round based like AA), it would incourage the taking of objectives instead of just killing as well as instill the drive to win (there might also be more people willing to follow and support the MG'er since it offers points for re-supplying).

Although just like any stat system, it would be tricky to do it right in order to get the desired effects, instead of causing chopper whoring or tank whoring.

Upvote 0
Since RO is of the unreal engine, isnt there a stats system already in place for the most part? The UT example: http://ut2004stats.epicgames.com/

quoted from the unreal technology website: "Worldwide game stats tracking system. " http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue2.shtml

Ultimatly it would be up to the devs if they really feel stats tracking helps the game at all. But this should be do-able otherwise I would think, the base system is there.

Upvote 0
A stats system could also help with the limited classes thing.

Its really annoying when youve got some n00b hogging the sniper class - your team can't have a good sniper untill the map changes!

Take this idea for example - I choose squad leader but my stats say I have played as squad leader for 12 games, have killed 3 enemies with arty, and killed 10 friendlies with arty.
At the moment, if another player tries to choose squad leader, he just cant.
What I would like to see, is that if another player tries to choose squad leader, and his stats say he has been leader 20 times, killed 43 enemies with arty and only 5 friendlies, then he will be given the squad leader class the next time I die, and I will respawn as a rifleman, or be given the choice of a new class.

This is a bit off topic, but i at least think there should be some kind of queue for the limited classes to stop people hogging them for an entire map...

Upvote 0