• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ideas and stuff

Privateflake

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 13, 2010
Killing floor is one of the greatest games i've had the pleasure of playing, the intense action, the co-op gameplay, the stellar game mechanics, and of course the terrifying enemies. Years ago when it was released I grabbed it in a heartbeat; loved it. Now, I'd like to say my piece. I'm sure I'll be flamed non-stop. Many will simply disagree, even more however, will ignore this thread as one of the countless other "add more weapons/enemies" threads. This is more then that.

Killing floor needs some changes.

First- Variety. Killing floor has a ****-ton of weapons, but let's face it. For the most part every class has a natural progression.

Medic - medic gun (Like I said, most classes have progression)

Sharpshooter - 9mm, Handcannon, Lever action rifle, Crossbow, M14. (This is an example of how I'd like classes to be. Many weapons, and yet, you have a variety of ways to play the class.)

Support - Shotgun, Hunting shotgun, AA12

Commando - Bullpup, AK47, Scar

Berserker - Knife, Machette/ Axe, Katana/ Chainsaw.

Firebug - Flamethrower/ Mac 10

Demo - Pipebomb, Grenade launchers, Law (Very uncommon)

Medics could really use some way of defending themselves, and before the messages flood in, yes I know that they can grab almost anyother weapon do to the low cost/ weight of the medic gun. But the don't get any kind of bonus, a solution might be a weapon that the medic can buy, that instead of using Ammo, uses the actual healing gauge. Yes the medic can now dish out damage, but at the cost of being able to heal friendlies. Thus making the medic have more options.

Sharpshooter is fine as is I think.

Support needs something different, I for one dislike the AA12 immensely. I love the hunting shotgun though, but of course later on in the waves it becomes almost useless to use. Not completely, but to the point that the AA12 is the only option. Thus I would like to see perhaps an Elephant gun. Something with lots of power, low ammo, but can clear hallways like the hunting shotgun. The support class is too linear.

Commando suffers from the same problem as the support, except that due to the recent updates, the Scar has become almost a joke in comparison to the AA12. Something new that allows the class to be used in a different way would be quite nice. I think that perhaps the Commando could become a leader role though, maybe commando's could have a map/gps device. Allowing them to see where friendlies are, NOT SEE ENEMIES. I'm sure other players that play commando more often could/ and have come up with other, better ideas.

Berserker is another class that I will allow other Berserker players to handle.

Firebug is my main class, and in many ways my favorite. I would like to see a weapon that weighs too much to carry both it, and the flamethrower. So you can choose between crowd control, or big game hunter. Possibly a Husk cannon, or another kind of weapon of the sort. The firebug is fun, but having this other option would make it all the more fun to play, trying to plan out which path to take depending on the other players and their classes.

Demo in my experience is pretty good, but I would like to see a new trap. One that deals more with single targets over time, instead of big targets all at once.

General Gameplay is pretty good, the only things I can think of are portable light sources. and before anyone starts saying "turn up your gamma", No. I don't want a bloody quick fix like that. I'm saying that this is a survival horror game, and I'm merely stating that perhaps having a glow-stick or a flare would make it so that the player could throw something down that gives them a sense of "safety" and thus when the light goes out, or the players don't have any it makes it feel like you're in danger.

These are my opinions, I'm not saying this because I dislike the game, far from it, I love killing floor. So I don't want to hear "find a new game if you dislike it so much" because there is no other game like this one. Do I expect Tripwire to read this and perhaps think over some aspects of what I've said? No. I also expect that I will receive many negative comments. So be it.

-Flake

The hunting shotgun is far from useless on later waves and the SCAR isn't really a joke compared to the AA12 it's just for small/medium specimens at greater than shotgun range.

You should play a bit more, maybe at higher difficulties before deciding there's only one way to play each class, sometimes combinations of off-perk and perked weapons make the most interesting loadouts that you wouldn't think of.

Upvote 0
Some ideas are quite nice and credible, but when considering new ideas you have to consider how this is going to change current gameplay.

To a certain extent, I agree with your logic on being numerous ways to play a certain class. I think it adds versatility and a variety without affecting balance too much (as you pointed out, sharpshooter by selecting either the xbow or the m14). However, if you are bored of how one perk plays, simply play another, each perk is designed for a specific role and adding too much versatility can make these perks over-run onto another which is kinda pointless.

I think you lack some experience, displayed by comments such like 'hunting shotgun is almost useless to use in later waves'. Actually the hunting shotgun SHINES in later waves, dealing a massive amount of damage in a short space of time, quickly dealing with that enraged FP or scrake, or that over-running group of zeds!

I think you should follow Fish's advice and play a bit (or a lot) more before suggesting on the forums how the game should be changed.

And why make a post that you expect to receive negative feedback from?
Doesn't that mean you, yourself already disagree with your reasoning?

Cheers

Upvote 0
Portable light sources... what are the Flashlights attached to the Pistol/Shotgun? Invisible?
Of course , iluminating and area without having to pull out a gun would be pretty useful , but It'd lack the awesome feeling of not seeing a **** when you are not aiming at it. ( As an example , a corridor)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Medics could really use some way of defending themselves, and before the messages flood in, yes I know that they can grab almost anyother weapon do to the low cost/ weight of the medic gun. But the don't get any kind of bonus, a solution might be a weapon that the medic can buy, that instead of using Ammo, uses the actual healing gauge. Yes the medic can now dish out damage, but at the cost of being able to heal friendlies. Thus making the medic have more options.

Thing is, the Medic's self defense is from their damage resistances through their armor. However, a damaging weapon based on a recharge bar? Interesting concept, but you might want to expand this with some serious thought before I can make judgment. Or any type of re-suggestion.

Support needs something different, I for one dislike the AA12 immensely. I love the hunting shotgun though, but of course later on in the waves it becomes almost useless to use. Not completely, but to the point that the AA12 is the only option. Thus I would like to see perhaps an Elephant gun. Something with lots of power, low ammo, but can clear hallways like the hunting shotgun. The support class is too linear.

The HS is a spike damage weapon. It takes some good skill to use properly, whereas the AA12 is more obvious in its use. What you suggest, though, is basically just a long ranged HS. THAT, I can tell you would be unbalanced and break the role of the Support. Support isn't really that much for longer ranged things... that is Sharpshooter territory.

Commando suffers from the same problem as the support, except that due to the recent updates, the Scar has become almost a joke in comparison to the AA12. Something new that allows the class to be used in a different way would be quite nice. I think that perhaps the Commando could become a leader role though, maybe commando's could have a map/gps device. Allowing them to see where friendlies are, NOT SEE ENEMIES. I'm sure other players that play commando more often could/ and have come up with other, better ideas.

The SCAR... that's an issue for another thread, and not for me to discuss. I don't really know much about it honestly. As for some sort of Commander Commando thing... that intrigues me. Of course, it kinda relies on the idea of teammates who actually listen to what you want them to do. I might have an idea coming up from this... another thread for another day.

Firebug is my main class, and in many ways my favorite. I would like to see a weapon that weighs too much to carry both it, and the flamethrower. So you can choose between crowd control, or big game hunter. Possibly a Husk cannon, or another kind of weapon of the sort. The firebug is fun, but having this other option would make it all the more fun to play, trying to plan out which path to take depending on the other players and their classes.

Firebug is more about crowd controlling and damage over time, not spike damage. However, check other threads on a Husk Cannon. You might find others have been trying pretty hard for this... and I had a totally failed idea for an FB spike weapon...

Demo in my experience is pretty good, but I would like to see a new trap. One that deals more with single targets over time, instead of big targets all at once.

Firebug territory.

General Gameplay is pretty good, the only things I can think of are portable light sources. and before anyone starts saying "turn up your gamma", No. I don't want a bloody quick fix like that. I'm saying that this is a survival horror game, and I'm merely stating that perhaps having a glow-stick or a flare would make it so that the player could throw something down that gives them a sense of "safety" and thus when the light goes out, or the players don't have any it makes it feel like you're in danger.

There have been several Flare ideas previously, and IIRC, a mod already with that.

These are my opinions, I'm not saying this because I dislike the game, far from it, I love killing floor. So I don't want to hear "find a new game if you dislike it so much" because there is no other game like this one. Do I expect Tripwire to read this and perhaps think over some aspects of what I've said? No. I also expect that I will receive many negative comments. So be it.

You've got a mix of good and bad ideas in here. It's a start at least.

-Flake

Replies in bold.

Upvote 0

I do believe the medic requires something new but nothing offensive. It would be nice to see the medic with a higher tier healing weapon, one that can save team mates at critical moments.

The Hunting Shotgun is incredibly powerful throughout the entire game. Sometimes I wont part with it. I'll carry the Shotgun and the Hunting Shotgun, great combination.

The AA12 is dull, way too simple to use. Spray & Pray but can be useful.

I'm not really a Commando player but when I have I've generally got on fine with it. I do struggle in dealing with the Flesh Pound but I think that's because the SCAR works better through accuracy than spraying. :rolleyes:

This is an age-old topic. I've just hit Lv.5 with the FB and the damage output of the Flamethrower is fair even with a full team. If there is to be another weapon, I'd like to see more thought put in to it, the Husks Cannon simply wouldn't do it for me >opinions.

The Demo is a BEAST and an excellent support role. It really doesn't need anything imo.

I like your glowstick idea a lot. It could be an limited resource like grenades, you use a specific key on the keyboard to drop them? Good suggestion. :D

Upvote 0
yeah, nice idea to use medic's healing "energy" to do some... amm... maybe not damage! what about it shoots darts that paralize or slow down or tranquilize some mad ones... a scrake tearing down ur demo, a fleshpound enraged, a gorefast going onto someone's back...

yeah, i like it, adds some strategy playing to the medic...

that class should't do damage or "that" way of play...

i think that all perks could use some different playing style weapon or variety of weapon..

that cmdo "commander" gps could be really useful to place dudes or to advice em.

firebug doesn't need ranged weapons... already has its MAC to pinpoint distant mobs... i would add some "throwable" item, like gasoline cans, maybe molotovs that set on fire the floor or walls.. grenades are cool but doesn't detonate on impact.. (at least not in close ranges xD).

sharp i think needs a new rifle or pistol, like a bolt action rifle w/o scopes.. just iron sights.. this rifle is slow to fire, reloads it's 5 shots by clip so its "fast" to reload, not that much ammo... like 25 or 30 + 5, bayonette?. maybe a revolver .44, whatever.

demo dude it's fine i think by now... maybe add a bear trap wich stuns a specimen for some secs...

zerker? maybe a spear or javelins... a riot shield... make him "roman" like, a bonus in dmg or defense if near another zerker. maybe a decoy for scrakes or fp.

support? well support could have a heavyMG, or the ability to barricate a door...

Upvote 0
firebug doesn't need ranged weapons... already has its MAC to pinpoint distant mobs...

sharp i think needs a new rifle or pistol, like a bolt action rifle w/o scopes.. just iron sights.. this rifle is slow to fire, reloads it's 5 shots by clip so its "fast" to reload, not that much ammo... like 25 or 30 + 5, bayonette?. maybe a revolver .44, whatever.

M10 is the name the maker lists it under. MAC is an acronym for the company's name: Macmillan Arms Company.

So you want a rifle like this then:

Spoiler!

Decent Irons, nice power (coming from the 7.62x54mmR round), 5 round magazine, a nice supply of ammo, and a bayonette.

It's also the only gun in KF that actually uses a clip. Which might annoy some people since it doesn't reload as fast as a magazine.

Upvote 0
well the clip thing it's to make the rifle diferent to LAR... and mosin nagant, yes its nice, but brit's got it's lee enfield, or maybe a k98... they are all the "same" concept of rifle. So yeah, nice iron sights, enough power to kill some "ugly bastards", the down side of the weapon could be the small quantity of ammo, AND has to be veeery expensive, i think it should cost (for a lvl 6 ss) around $1500, and refilling like 500: this it's a later weapon, and shots are carefully taken... not pay n spray m14 or inexpensive lar..

yeap thats "ingram" MAC10, here we call it just MAC or "miniUZI" but i hate that 'couse its NOT uzi xD...

how about the medic paralizing or freezing if u like?

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0
well the clip thing it's to make the rifle diferent to LAR... and mosin nagant, yes its nice, but brit's got it's lee enfield, or maybe a k98... they are all the "same" concept of rifle. So yeah, nice iron sights, enough power to kill some "ugly bastards", the down side of the weapon could be the small quantity of ammo, AND has to be veeery expensive, i think it should cost (for a lvl 6 ss) around $1500, and refilling like 500: this it's a later weapon, and shots are carefully taken... not pay n spray m14 or inexpensive lar..

yeap thats "ingram" MAC10, here we call it just MAC or "miniUZI" but i hate that 'couse its NOT uzi xD...

how about the medic paralizing or freezing if u like?

And "here" is?

You never said, so i'll just guess and say the Moon. How was that eclipse up there?

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0
And "here" is?

You never said, so i'll just guess and say the Moon. How was that eclipse up there?

Chile, South America...

bad luck with the eclipse, it was cloudy xD

ups, forgot to add something about the clip for the rifle, it's just as fast as a mag, the clipped ammo are some bullets attached together so they "slide" in; so u dont reload bullet by bullet like a LAR or a shotgun.

lw_x_23.jpg

k98 clip

Last edited:
Upvote 0