• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ideas about mods

Outsider

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Hello,

I must begin to say that I have no knowledge about coding or modding. So, i'll just give the ideas that have been born in this head of mine. :D

What do you think of a mod with some more objectives than just killing these ZED ?
Like saving an hostage prisonner somewhere and evacuating him before he gets killed. It could even be played by 2 teams of player which would be ennemies.
Or it could be to go check something like information in a computer room and getting out alive.
Or going to kill someone who use the ZED to defend himself.

Don't you think it would be interesting ?
However, is it possible to create it ?

Well, this time, it is another idea. :D
What do you think of a mod where you would have some level points and be able to distribute it as you want between the perks ?
I mean something like playing with more than one perk but with a limit : e.g., someone who would have 5 levels to distribute and so play with commando lv 3 + sharpshooter lv 2.
There would have an option with the difficulty and the length of the play to determine how much level everyone will have to distribute : 5,7,9 or 11.
The condition would be like this :
- you can't make a level in a perk higher than what you have unlock
- one perk max at level 5

This could bring some fun, no ?

Upvote 0
Well, this time, it is another idea. :D
What do you think of a mod where you would have some level points and be able to distribute it as you want between the perks ?
I mean something like playing with more than one perk but with a limit : e.g., someone who would have 5 levels to distribute and so play with commando lv 3 + sharpshooter lv 2.
There would have an option with the difficulty and the length of the play to determine how much level everyone will have to distribute : 5,7,9 or 11.

opinion: no. i dont think this would be fun.

The original ideas though.. those are really interesting. I've never been the one to code, myself; modeling is my forte', but I've never really looked into coding either way. Now might be the time, because at least this time I would have a purpose to do so, that being the mere existence of this incredibly awesome game.

Your ideas about different gametypes makes more sense than what TW has, currently (no offense; this game is amazering!).

I mean, look at what the player characters are: special forces "sent in to clean up." I doubt a government of any kind would really intend to spend however much money to send in a special task force of any proportions to simply run around and "survive" while, at random intervals of silence, buy some non-issue weaponry to repeat.

I know the gameplay isn't entirely focused on the most realistic mechanics but there are underlying elements that are, namely the weapon system and beautific brutality of the character enemies. This can be expanded upon ten-fold with the right direction.

There is a story here that isn't quite fleshed out as it could be with what gametype has been implemented, too. The greatly, I believe, unintentionally misproportioned potential this game has truly puts me in a state of awe.

Think of this: It makes sense to have a purpose and adds a greater depth of immersion through the fear of failure to have an objective laid upon the players conscious to complete successfully- less they suffer a most brutal fate thereof their own guided failure, or otherwise.

I think there would be a greater feeling of cooperation and of survival for players to have to struggle towards a common goal that is only successfull through cooperation.

With what there is now [gameplay-wise], it seems shallow in that what most players seem to do (from personal observation, as well as myself through experience) is think in a more linear train of thought that of, more or less "How much longer until the next break?" and not be what the game is labeled as "Cooperative survival horror,"which would be more engaging, is making the player feel or think "How can I survive with my team-mates to make it out alive and complete our mission, together."

I feel, while playing this even through smaller teams of 2-4, that there really isn't a greater regards to the consiquence of dying. Mostly, from people I've asked and again, myself, we think "hey, I'll just wait it out until the next round and shoot some more stuff."

To really grasp that emotion of fear and consiquence would have to bare new modes of gameplay such as:

Point A - Start here
Point B - intel/special "VIP" to retrieve/device to shutdown/activate
Point C - Extraction

Teams would start at Point A and trek their way to Point B; inbetween points, there would be interval combat 'stages' with the monsters to essentially "get in the way" of player survivability. As such, the trade would move in a near-linear pattern towards and until Point C, while never going beyond where the players have already been (therefor, never backtracking- making it impossible to reach the trader beyond a specific 'stage').

The objective would pertain to the inevitability of the overall survival of man and destruction of the monsters all in all. The objective(s) for example, could be documents pertaining to chemical warefare to destroy the infected, machinery to block their movement into a specific military/civilian zone, extracting military personell etc. The side stories of the current map objective could be written or displayed as loading, or in a message upon player spawn.

~

These are just some of my ideas.

Upvote 0
Well, this time, it is another idea.

opinion: no. i dont think this would be fun.

The original ideas though.. those are really interesting. I've never been the one to code, myself; modeling is my forte', but I've never really looked into coding either way. Now might be the time, because at least this time I would have a purpose to do so, that being the mere existence of this incredibly awesome game.

Your ideas about different gametypes makes more sense than what TW has, currently (no offense; this game is amazering!).

I mean, look at what the player characters are: special forces "sent in to clean up." I doubt a government of any kind would really intend to spend however much money to send in a special task force of any proportions to simply run around and "survive" while, at random intervals of silence, buy some non-issue weaponry to repeat.

I know the gameplay isn't entirely focused on the most realistic mechanics but there are underlying elements that are, namely the weapon system and beautific brutality of the character enemies. This can be expanded upon ten-fold with the right direction.

There is a story here that isn't quite fleshed out as it could be with what gametype has been implemented, too. The greatly, I believe, unintentionally misproportioned potential this game has truly puts me in a state of awe.

Think of this: It makes sense to have a purpose and adds a greater depth of immersion through the fear of failure to have an objective laid upon the players conscious to complete successfully- less they suffer a most brutal fate thereof their own guided failure, or otherwise.

I think there would be a greater feeling of cooperation and of survival for players to have to struggle towards a common goal that is only successfull through cooperation.

With what there is now [gameplay-wise], it seems shallow in that what most players seem to do (from personal observation, as well as myself through experience) is think in a more linear train of thought that of, more or less "How much longer until the next break?" and not be what the game is labeled as "Cooperative survival horror,"which would be more engaging, is making the player feel or think "How can I survive with my team-mates to make it out alive and complete our mission, together."

I feel, while playing this even through smaller teams of 2-4, that there really isn't a greater regards to the consiquence of dying. Mostly, from people I've asked and again, myself, we think "hey, I'll just wait it out until the next round and shoot some more stuff."

To really grasp that emotion of fear and consiquence would have to bare new modes of gameplay such as:

Point A - Start here
Point B - intel/special "VIP" to retrieve/device to shutdown/activate
Point C - Extraction

Teams would start at Point A and trek their way to Point B; inbetween points, there would be interval combat 'stages' with the monsters to essentially "get in the way" of player survivability. As such, the trade would move in a near-linear pattern towards and until Point C, while never going beyond where the players have already been (therefor, never backtracking- making it impossible to reach the trader beyond a specific 'stage').

The objective would pertain to the inevitability of the overall survival of man and destruction of the monsters all in all. The objective(s) for example, could be documents pertaining to chemical warefare to destroy the infected, machinery to block their movement into a specific military/civilian zone, extracting military personell etc. The side stories of the current map objective could be written or displayed as loading, or in a message upon player spawn.

~

Upvote 0
Well, this time, it is another idea.

opinion: no. I don't think this would be fun.

The original ideas you were talking about though.. those are really interesting. I've never been the one to code, myself; modeling is my forte', but I've never really looked into coding either way. Now might be the time, because at least this time I would have a purpose to do so, that being the mere existence of this incredibly awesome game.

I know the gameplay isn't entirely focused on the most realistic mechanics but there are underlying elements that are, namely the weapon system and beatific brutality of the character enemies. This can be expanded upon ten-fold with the right direction.

There is a story here that isn't quite fleshed out as it could be with what gametype has been implemented, too. The greatly, I believe, unintentionally mis-proportional potential this game has truly puts me in a state of awe.

I think there would be a greater feeling of cooperation and of survival for players to have to struggle towards a common goal that is only successful through cooperation.

With what there is now [gameplay-wise], it seems shallow in that what most players seem to do (from personal observation, as well as myself through experience) is think in a more linear train of thought that of, more or less "How much longer until the next break?" and not be what the game is labeled as "Cooperative survival horror,"which would be more engaging, and making the player feel or think "How can I survive with my team-mates to make it out alive and complete our mission, together."

I feel, while playing this even through smaller teams of 2-4, that there really isn't a greater regards to the consequence of dying. Mostly, from people I've asked and again, myself through experience, we think "hey, I'll just wait it out until the next round and shoot some more stuff."

To really grasp that emotion of fear and consequence would have to bare new modes of gameplay. An example:

Point A - Start here
Point B - intel/special "VIP" to retrieve or 'X' device to shutdown/activate
Point C - Extraction

Teams would start at Point A and trek their way to Point B; in between points, there would be interval combat 'stages' with the monsters to essentially "get in the way" of player survivability. As such, the trade would move in a near-linear pattern towards and until Point C, while never going beyond where the players have already been (therefor, never backtracking- making it impossible to reach the trader beyond a specific 'stage').

The objective would pertain to the inevitability of the overall survival of man and destruction of the monsters all in all. The objective(s) for example, could be documents pertaining to chemical warfare to destroy the infected, machinery to block their movement into a specific military/civilian zone, extracting military personnel etc. The side stories of the current map objective could be written or displayed as loading, or in a message upon player spawn.

These ideas go hand in hand with the vehicle mod idea. Story scripting and level design would be easy. I only regret my incapability of coding.
~

Upvote 0
Well, it will be up to tripwire to do that i think. But we can always give our ideas about the story.
IMHO, I would see the first mission in the maps office since it's there that the very first thing happened. With a squad (one man per perk) in an helicopter who would go on the roof and watch the massacre of cops on the ground without being able to help them. Then, it would be a surviving quest. :D
But there could have some more objectives. v_v

Upvote 0
I like that, maybe watch the guys get cut up (not on a roundabout :p) and then have to fight your way down to the biotics lab, whereby you try and destroy the labs, fail, evacuate the labs and fight your way back up to the roof for exfil. The next level could be on farm where the specimens have got out and it would be a clean up job, then maybe West London, a kind of defense game where only a certain no. of specimens can get through the two points (the exits next to the church and embassy) before you lose. Then Manor whereby you must holdout until another chopper arrives to get you out. Finally, Foundry where you must find a data chip regarding information about the patriarch. You fight your way to the data room to find...HIM! Then you kill him and win the game.

EDIT-on Biolabs, there will be about 5 bomb poits you must plant before failing.

DOUBLE EDIT-can someone delete alpha-omega's triple post?

Last edited:
Upvote 0