• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[idea] "Enemy spotted" command improvment

O'Shannon

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
Ok yesterday i though about voice commands and thought they of cause should be positional ( nothing new, was posted already ).

if they were positional, commands like "Enemy spotted!" would have a propose unlike in RO:OST..

and know for me idea were positional voice commands are needed for:

if you are near(close enough to here his voice commands) a teammate that spots an Enemy and uses the "Enemy spotted!"command (should only trigger if you actually see an enemy) there should be some benefit for spotting. i am not talking about giving the spotter points. my idea is to make the sounds the enemy produces(footsteps, breathing, reloading,clothes rustling)about 1.5x louder for the people that heard the "Enemy spotted!" ...

example:
leifdgt4i6hb.jpg

A spots B
A uses "Enemy spotted!"command
C hears A's "Enemy spotted!"command
B's sounds become 1.5x times louder for C

* so you might ask "why should the sounds of B become louder for C?"

the reason is focus... C and A have eye contact and if A spots B he would not only shout but give C some sort of sign(would not be modeled ingame) where B's is located and by that C would focus more to hear B since he cant see him...

this idea is to give the commands, like "Enemy spotted!", some propose...

sort of "BFBC2 spotting" the audio way.. in a reasonable way..

EDIT:

and*"Enemy spotted!" should be "Infantry spotted!" with important sub coms like "Sniper spotted!",*"MG spotted!" , "SL spotted!"

Last edited:
well A would of cause not give away C's position.
and A's position is known for B anyway. i mean if i would be B and hear A shouting i would instantly turn towards A
and if A spots B and C sees where A is looking at -> C knows were B is, but B still doesnt know where C is ( C is still busy looking for A)..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually there should be generally an improvement of voice commands, first of all should be like 4-5 different voices for each army as always the same gets annoying. Secondly I believe that voice commands should vary a bit. It should not just be "Enemy spotted!" literally translated to Russian and German. I guess we can live with out the CoD stereotype of "Kommunisten!" but when playing RO and talking on TS shouting "Russen!" (Russians!) and "Iwan!" is widely common. I'd like to see this being included into the game, rather than another life time of "Feind in Sicht!" (Enemy spotted!).

Concerning the idea of spotting the enemy like this. I'm not sure how this would work, shall there be a pop-up enemy indicator above the enemy's head when he's spotted? Or just highlight the enemy for a sec?

Upvote 0
i like the sound-idea (nice, non sci-fi way of simulating increased awareness). but the mechanism would be rather complicated, i guess. how does the game know which soldier exactly was spotted when there are actually 3 hidden close together, but only one of them visible to the spotter? would it increase the sound of the whole group to the allied soldiers in hearing range? as i understand it would be better if it only increased the sound of the spotted guy. the others would have to stay hidden. if the system was added in half arsedly (?), you could simply spam the "enemy spotted" key and rely on the game to increase the volume of any enemy that is nearby, even if you didn't really see him.

if this recognition by the game of someone spotting someone else could really work pecisely, though, i guess it wouldn't be that hard to add an animation, so the spotter points at what he spotted..

Upvote 0
No, bad idea, for too many reasons to name them all.

The main reason being that it communicates information that one should not necessarily have, and is thus exploitable in some way, or does not work realistically in all situations.

A better implementation would be, for example, yelling "Enemy Spotted" places a marker on the map where you were looking when you shouted the command. In this way, the marker does not actually reveal the enemy's location. Its accuracy is dependent on the ability of the spotter to accurately report the position. It also does not require the game to know whether or not you actually see an enemy.

Upvote 0
So its important that the command would only work once every x seconds.
jup. right.

* A better implementation would be, for example, yelling "Enemy Spotted" places a marker on the map [...]
this would be the BFBC2 way.. except that the icon would be displayed on the map and not over the players head..too arcadey for a game like RO..imo.

and besides the sound wouldn't be extremely louder .. just a tad to differ from others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i like dwins idea, too. remembers me of day of defeat, where you could put markers on a mini map, too. wonder if it was ever used (i didn't play clanmatches).
i don't like the "only x times in y time"-restriction, though. spammers might be a problem, though. even without spammers it would be hard to tell who marked what position when on a map.

Upvote 0
this would be the BFBC2 way.. except that the icon would be displayed on the map and not over the players head..too arcadey for a game like RO..imo.

and besides the sound wouldn't be extremely louder .. just a tad to differ from others.

The utilization of the "HUD on demand system" could allow to show reported locations on that system as well when someone presses the hud on demand button. Making everything a lot more accessible. Which is what i think is planned already somwhat with the bia alike command system that was showcased in the vids.

Upvote 0