• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ICO & Shadow of the Collossus HD

[-project.rattus-]

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Austria
www.youtube.com
As a headsup, the Team ICO HD collection has been released for PS3 in Europe.

I couldn't resist buying it, as it contains the two most prominent examples which can be used in a "games are art" debate of the last generation, even though I've only read about ICO and only ever somebody else play SotC once (not counting it's prominent appearance in Reign over me, Adam Sandlers best tear jerking movie).

I was actually sceptical about the ourchase first, because they have next to no n ostalgic value for me, but gladly, that wasn't an issue.
Both games manage to create a really bleak and desperate atmosphere I've only seen in Limbo recently, both look really well in HD and the controls are tolerable.

So go out and buy it!

Well, the Colossi can be quite challenging. But I don*'t think it's too frustrating. But then, I mostly play Dark Souls nowadays...

ICO, on the other hand is not frustrating at all. The combat, while at first feeling a bit awkward, is easy, and at it's core it's rather an environmental puzzle game than an action game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I couldn't resist buying it, as it contains the two most prominent examples which can be used in a "games are art" debate of the last generation, even though I've only read about ICO and only ever somebody else play SotC once (not counting it's prominent appearance in Reign over me, Adam Sandlers best tear jerking movie).

Kinda funny you say that. It feels like everyone who does use the "games as art" thing always refer to ICO and SOTC, yet they only have limited experience with either game.

I played ICO briefly when it was still new and it didn't strike me that way at all. TBH it wasn't very playable either. At least not in my hands anyway.

Upvote 0
Kinda funny you say that. It feels like everyone who does use the "games as art" thing always refer to ICO and SOTC, yet they only have limited experience with either game.

I played ICO briefly when it was still new and it didn't strike me that way at all. TBH it wasn't very playable either. At least not in my hands anyway.

Well, that's both the beauty, and I guess the controversy about both games: you don't need to have much experience with the game to see their artistical merits.

Both instill a magical, desolate, melancholical and yet hopeful atmosphere, very much akin to studio ghibli movies.
And both use a very minimalistic approach on story exposition, having the whole story emerge through gameplay more than through cutscenes and dialogue. I also like the music, and the fact that it's absent for most og the game, also reinforcing the feeling of lonelytude.

And while the controls for both are quirky, I find both quite playable if you wrap your head around how they are played. It's not like you fight with the controls, like in some other games.

Upvote 0