• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I said I won't but then I did

skewp

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2011
Croatia
Hi there, im completely new to all of the RO franchise and although I said I'll wait for the HOS to come out before getting a RO game I went ahead and bought the original game through steam.

So, any tips would be nice.
What to look out for, where do people mostly play and which game modes are the most rewarding?

Oh and feel free to add me on steam. I enjoy playing with friends and I hope I'll make some here as well. See ya all :)

Last edited:
Reactions: OneDuck
Just got it in the mail, just need to go outside and get it. LOL. Anyways, I think I might start with driving a universal carrier just for running people over at first then pick people up. lol
Oh yes! Thats a great way to win friends and influence people. More than a few have been banned from servers for such.....

Upvote 0
Hi there, im completely new to all of the RO franchise and although I said I'll wait for the HOS to come out before getting a RO game I went ahead and bought the original game through steam.

What to look out for, where do people mostly play and which game modes are the most rewarding?

Oh and feel free to add me on steam. I enjoy playing with friends and I hope I'll make some here as well. See ya all :)

Pretty much the most active servers are The Wild Bunch's European & North American (Old Glory) servers, and the TaT Danzig server. Other servers are occasionally active, but those I listed are pretty much always on.

There's only one game mode: territory conquest with fairly large cap-zones. That's what RO is known for, and most likely will be the most popular game mode when RO:HoS eventually gets here.

The best advice is this:
1. take your time, be patient with it. It's not easy at first...but it gets easier and thoroughly more addictive.
2. don't take the squad leader role until you get some experience. it's not an easy role to take on effectively when you don't know where or when to drop the arty.
3. don't try to resupply machine gunners right as they leave spawn. it's not a major no-no...but it will let people know you're a newb point whore.:D

Welcome to RO....have fun!

Upvote 0
Pretty much the most active servers are The Wild Bunch's European & North American (Old Glory) servers, and the TaT Danzig server. Other servers are occasionally active, but those I listed are pretty much always on.

There's only one game mode: territory conquest with fairly large cap-zones. That's what RO is known for, and most likely will be the most popular game mode when RO:HoS eventually gets here.

The best advice is this:
1. take your time, be patient with it. It's not easy at first...but it gets easier and thoroughly more addictive.
2. don't take the squad leader role until you get some experience. it's not an easy role to take on effectively when you don't know where or when to drop the arty.
3. don't try to resupply machine gunners right as they leave spawn. it's not a major no-no...but it will let people know you're a newb point whore.:D

Welcome to RO....have fun!

with number 3, I do anyways if they are right in front of me (why not?). Is there any negative effects to that? I mean, extra ammo is always nice to have, right?

Upvote 0
one of the quirks of RO is that the machine gunners always spawn with their regular supply of ammo. BUT...you can still "re-supply" them right when you spawn, before they've fired a shot. This gets you 5 cheap points, but it doesn't actually add any ammo for the machine-gunner. So, while it's not a horrible thing to do...it doesn't help your team really. Some people do it repeatedly to rack up points so they can get to the top of the leader-board. Solid RO players will appreciate it more if you seek out a deployed machine gunner who's asking for ammo. That's 5 points the right way.

Upvote 0

Some initial tips:
Try to avoid the vehicle based maps initially, you might not know which maps they are from their names but you can see it by the available classes once you join. In case there are loads of tank classes its likely to be a tank map :p.

Tanking is like a whole different game on its own, fun in its own right (but fairly complex), but if you want to play as infantry make sure you don't do it on a server with a lot of tanks. before tanking its highly recommended to have someone introduce you to the specific hit zones and angling etc.

For starting this game, and getting over its initial annoyance curve, I recommend just focusing on some close quarter infantry based combat maps.

------

Initially pick classes that have no heavy team based role, before you somewhat understand the flow of the map. Some classes are very limited, and people can get angry if you're doing the wrong thing as a squad leader, sniper or mg.

Before picking up the mg, its important to know how to deploy your machinegun and change its barrel.
Before picking up the squad leader, its important to know where to throw your smoke, and how and where to call artillery.

semi-automatic rifles, smgs, and rifleman can be taken without people turning aggressive against you.

Personally I recommend starting with a rifle as it is a simple weapon, that teaches the user. Since every shot matters and you don't have to master recoil, it allows you to obtain a quick understanding of the bullet drop and bullet travel time that every weapon got. Next to that its a weapon that allows you to overlook the battlefield and gain an understanding of what is actually going on in a map.

(smgs, have loads of recoil, slow bullet speeds and because of that a lot of bullet drop, by starting with a rifle you can learn to master it all in smaller steps).

practise with hip shooting as well, and take notice of the boundaries of the free aim region. And learn to aim using those boundaries, rather than the center of the screen.

Upvote 0
Who keeps down voting people who suggest Darkest Hour? :rolleyes:

I'm not one who downvotes them, but I can guess that suggesting Darkest Hour to a new guy is not a good idea.
RO already has a steep learning curve, and Darkest Hour is far worse in that aspect.

Also, considering that the first answer to his post doesn't really give him any really helpful tips or answers any of his questions, but is only out of place DH propaganda instead. I'll guess is not DH what they downvote, but the post itself.

I think he wouldn't have been downvoted if he had been helpful in trying to get him into RO, and then adding a line at the end reading like this: "Once you get the hang of it, check Darkest Hour out"

Last edited:
Reactions: Pectus
Upvote 0