• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I love the singelplayer campaign

I must be losing my mind... The experience I've had of the AI in singleplayer is dreadful. They're completely incompetent.
They block you, follow you, jump backwards/forwards over obstacles for no reason, don't cover you or shoot any opponents. It's the worst AI I think I've ever seen in a game.

People have said that the singleplayer is more of a "practice mode" for Singleplayer and not to get annoyed with it. However, when the game is labelled, advertised and sold as having 2 Campaigns, I expect the AI to be of a singleplayer game quality. If it was labelled "With advanced practice mode" - That'd be fine. What it is is misrepresentation in my eyes. Please fix the AI, it's like playing with a bunch of lemmings

Upvote 0
I must be losing my mind... The experience I've had of the AI in singleplayer is dreadful. They're completely incompetent.
They block you, follow you, jump backwards/forwards over obstacles for no reason, don't cover you or shoot any opponents. It's the worst AI I think I've ever seen in a game.

People have said that the singleplayer is more of a "practice mode" for Singleplayer and not to get annoyed with it. However, when the game is labelled, advertised and sold as having 2 Campaigns, I expect the AI to be of a singleplayer game quality. If it was labelled "With advanced practice mode" - That'd be fine. What it is is misrepresentation in my eyes. Please fix the AI, it's like playing with a bunch of lemmings

I find it very good and not much difrent than most games I've played.
And I might add that I've played most FPS there is since the dark ages. (Wolfenstein 3D)

Show me any AI witch behaves like a human in every situation
AI is just that and for now its working pretty good considering the complexity.

Just for refrence.. Here's a few clips of the BIG games AI
call of duty 4 stupid AI - YouTube

Crysis 2 - Amazing AI - YouTube

And the list goes on and on..
So what do you expect from a small team like Tripwire.
Well one thing you can expect is that they will work on fixing things far far longer than any other studio.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only thing I miss is some danger recognition and locating the enemy:

not having them all run into the same machinegun burst: defending a building you can very easily have a killing spree guarding one door because they all move inside in a single line without reacting to their frontman dying

if they would move to cover (or stay in cover) and watch the direction the shot came from (because they often also follow waypoints to the other direction so you can hit them in the back), I would be amazed by them :)

Upvote 0
They're certainly an improvement from the old bots.

I'd like a slight expansion to the single player mode, where it can be set to practice, so you can pick whatever map you want, whatever game mode you want, time limit, how many bots, difficulty and class selection (basically multiplayer)

I still can't figure out how to make my own listen server, as I don't see it anywhere in the menus.

As for tweaks to the Bots, I'd work on preventing them from getting stuck on mantle areas (they continually climb back and forth, or just locked in one spot until they're killed or taken over)

And on higher difficulties, I have noticed bots often head shot me when they're not even looking directly at me.... and other times when they don't completely pop over cover and take me out, where normal human players would never be able to make those shots because their popping up/aiming animation wouldn't have completed in time.

Also, I have noticed that popping smoke in SP is pretty useless as even when I can't see them and they can't see me, they still unload directly at me and I die.

One other additional thing would be to make sure the bots follow your orders exactly. When I tell them to defend a location, a few of them shouldn't just stay in the cap zone and defend.... ALL of them should be in the cap zone. I see countless times that half of the team is in the cap zone, while all the others hand around outside of the cap zone, usually in usless spots where they can't see or shoot anything.

Other times all my team is killed except myself and two others hanging back. When I order them to attack or defend or even follow me, they generally don't (possibly due to being stuck somewhere) and then I have to hold out on my own until the next available reinforcements...... which isn't always successful.

And then the same situation happens above, I see two blobs on the minimap moving around, so I know they're not stuck, yet when I try to get them to do something, they say "Yes Sir" but end up doing the same thing until I take them over.

Add/Fix those things and Single Player would be very very impressive.

Upvote 0
The single player is really good i also hope they do expand it and possibly make different modes..

Like a defend mode where countless numbers of Russians charge the German defensive line your job is to stop the red army with your limited numbers and cut off supply lines.

However all i ask for now is..

Practice mode + Improved Bots = Done

Upvote 0
They're certainly an improvement from the old bots.

I'd like a slight expansion to the single player mode, where it can be set to practice, so you can pick whatever map you want, whatever game mode you want, time limit, how many bots, difficulty and class selection (basically multiplayer)

I still can't figure out how to make my own listen server, as I don't see it anywhere in the menus.

As for tweaks to the Bots, I'd work on preventing them from getting stuck on mantle areas (they continually climb back and forth, or just locked in one spot until they're killed or taken over)

And on higher difficulties, I have noticed bots often head shot me when they're not even looking directly at me.... and other times when they don't completely pop over cover and take me out, where normal human players would never be able to make those shots because their popping up/aiming animation wouldn't have completed in time.

Also, I have noticed that popping smoke in SP is pretty useless as even when I can't see them and they can't see me, they still unload directly at me and I die.

One other additional thing would be to make sure the bots follow your orders exactly. When I tell them to defend a location, a few of them shouldn't just stay in the cap zone and defend.... ALL of them should be in the cap zone. I see countless times that half of the team is in the cap zone, while all the others hand around outside of the cap zone, usually in usless spots where they can't see or shoot anything.

Other times all my team is killed except myself and two others hanging back. When I order them to attack or defend or even follow me, they generally don't (possibly due to being stuck somewhere) and then I have to hold out on my own until the next available reinforcements...... which isn't always successful.

And then the same situation happens above, I see two blobs on the minimap moving around, so I know they're not stuck, yet when I try to get them to do something, they say "Yes Sir" but end up doing the same thing until I take them over.

Add/Fix those things and Single Player would be very very impressive.

Try this line from the console for a good practice mode:-

"open te-spartanovka?minplayers=24?maxplayers=24" (type without the quotes)

This will give you 23 bots + yourself (12 a side) in Spartanovka playing te.

You can substitute the 'te' for 'cd' for a countdown game and just change the map title for a different map. I've enjoyed this and although the bots aren't perfect I've had some good games especially on Spartanovka. I fire this up when I've had enough of the 'b-i-t-c-hing' on MP :confused: :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I mostly enjoyed the SP because of the tank battles. Way more guys and action than what I've seen on MP Gumrak maps so far.

I found the AI to be spotty at best though. I could get them to move places en masse...but that's it. Trying to set up the MG team somewhere useful, half the time, they wouldn't listen to me. They'd just keep holding their position. Of course if I ordered EVERYONE to go somewhere...they were happy to oblige.

Similarly, trying to get the anti-tank/engineer AIs to do anything useful was pretty much impossible too.

I didn't have super high expectations of the SP, so in that sense I guess it surpassed them. I really enjoyed the atmosphere though, it got me in the moment and ready to bleed for the mother/fatherland.

Upvote 0
Yeah, RO2 AI is pretty good. I enjoyed nearly all missions, except the tank missions. - I'm not a great fan of tanking.
The tanks were "alright," on one mission I just sat in one spot and blew up all the incoming tanks without HAVING to move. Was a bit boring, yet fun.

Also the banzai charges make me laugh. However, I hate how they kill me with one bash, but it can take me like 3 or 4 sometimes.

I haven't really had a chance to play mp, but I seriously love the sp.

Upvote 0
...has to be some of the worst AI I've ever seen, you tell them to attack or defend and they don't even enter the territory, they just hang back and smoke cigarettes while shouting the odd "go get em'". It makes the AI from Arma look brilliant. Seriously, TWI, did you model the bots after Helen Kellar? Still waiting for you guys to do SOMETHING about the single player aspect since you did say it wasn't going to be like RO1.....you know.....MP MAPS WITH BOTS. I realize that when creating this game, single player was obviously at the back of your minds and intentions, it would have been nice if you guys had said this in the first place if you were going to put MINIMAL effort into it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0