• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I have an idea....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakarro

Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2014
I studied some game design in college but never finished, but might be capable of modding. Im going to need help and if anyone wants to try this out.

How about a mod about the Spanish Civil War from 36-39?

Would be like IOM but also there would be airforces such as german luftwassen and brigade soviet airplanes. Which means infantry, tanks and airplanes in battle at once. Is it posible with the SDK to add airplanes?

I need a few coders, moddlers, etc... you know.

As much as I'd love to see aircraft, I've never seen maps large enough in RO2 to make realistic maneuvering possible. Even the biggest maps would feel like flying inside a small box without any momentum or G's. I hated that in BF.

Im not talking BF1, that was too cartoony.
BF2 was near perfection, perfect balance between air and land.

In BF3 and 4 jets literally suck and are boring and I only use them for HALO drops.

Rest of you, how would it take 5 years? Counter Strike was made in less then a year till it became beta then it grew bigger then anything ever before.

Moe please dont troll. Fyi you would get to play murican too, I would produce and idea the game script. I would make more player classes then BF2 similar to them but add more. I would make a special forces class only on republic side call them brigadeers which were the foreign aid from many countrys, volunteers. On the nationalist side they would be legionaires the elite of the spanish state military.

Would make the maps like BF2 with different factions not just republic vs nationalist.

Would also make streets of barcelona map where anarchists got killed by communists, the war inside the war.

Then another map I forgot where, carlists vs falangists another war inside the war but of the opposing side.

I dont think it would take much effort to port a lot of things from IOM and just add airplanes, spanish voices and skins. Thing is we would need different voice due to the brigades, imposible to get all nationality so I would choose main ones such as murican, soviet,british, french. In case of nationalist side, the foreigners were germans and italians but these werent brigadeers they were pre vets of WW2. Regular soldiers.

Upvote 0
Also concerning ranking system, I would change it. Now BF2 had it perfect, was realistic, all ranks were real you even had one, two, three and four star generals. BF3 and 4 used n00b cod style ranking with numbers and just the insignia of a real rank.

I would revolutionize ranking systems. Exactly what the anarchists did in reality.

You see in barcelona during revolution there was no military or police. Simply anti fascist militias that patrolled the streets, they werre practically the police, if you commited a serious crime you were shot on the spot.
In any case what they did militarily against the fascists when it came to battles, every platoon of anarchists would VOTE on who was going to be Squad leader or Team leader, there were no ranks. They were all comrades and saw no distinctions

Upvote 0
It took the Rising Storm team two years just to make a single half-finished tank based on existing code.

Airplanes are unprecedented and would require a COLOSSAL amount of work.

And you need to think about the map size as well. Like he said, to be able to fit planes comfortably it needs to be absolutely huge, and then it would take ages to get anywhere on land and become unfun for vehicles/infantry.

But hey, if you can do it, go ahead. It would be pretty awesome. I'm just saying don't get too optimistic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wait, what? Troll by suggesting airplanes are over reaching? You must learn the difference between someone offering friendly opinions and trolling.

And what do you mean about playing 'murican?

And for the record, I think the idea of the Spanish Civil War a great one :)

Edit: I will add, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor and look forward to your results.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's what these Game Design courses are doing with people.
Producing ideas without any technical knowledge of developing is like developing without ideas.

A games success is not coming by it's theme that it's set in but by how it's actucally done.
Parts of your ideas are doable, others make less sense.
You should probably invest just more time into modding to understand this process better.

Upvote 0
It took the Rising Storm team two years just to make a single half-finished tank based on existing code.

Airplanes are unprecedented and would require a COLOSSAL amount of work.

And you need to think about the map size as well. Like he said, to be able to fit planes comfortably it needs to be absolutely huge, and then it would take ages to get anywhere on land and become unfun for vehicles/infantry.

But hey, if you can do it, go ahead. It would be pretty awesome. I'm just saying don't get too optimistic.

As Napoleon said, anything is doable.

Wait, what? Troll by suggesting airplanes are over reaching? You must learn the difference between someone offering friendly opinions and trolling.

And what do you mean about playing 'murican?

And for the record, I think the idea of the Spanish Civil War a great one :)

Edit: I will add, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor and look forward to your results.

Moe are you stoned lol? Didnt you say how bout no mod about spanish civil war like if you wouldnt like it?

That's what these Game Design courses are doing with people.
Producing ideas without any technical knowledge of developing is like developing without ideas.

A games success is not coming by it's theme that it's set in but by how it's actucally done.
Parts of your ideas are doable, others make less sense.
You should probably invest just more time into modding to understand this process better.
Yes Im a n00b at modding, never even finished game design. My only role of this would be producer which is why I need a team. My only computer skills are hardware related and thats my profession, dont need me for any of that since we already know what hardware it takes for RO2. So I consider me like a movie producer, im not a director, im not a programmer, gabbish? I can do some of the spanish voice acting though, comrade already wants me to do voice acting for blue division in IOM.

Btw may I ask what doesnt make sense out of my ideas? Ill be happy to enlighten you ;)

Btw lug are you kidding me? Ro2 no big maps? Does barashka ring a bell? Huge maps can certainly be done with this engine. Plus it wouldnt be all of them. Half of the maps would be close quarters such as streets of barcelona, that would be stalingrade like with buildings and city terrain

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know, to me it sounds like I would like it, and after all, I would know since I wrote it! :p

Never mind, lol, didnt get that part.

Anyways another idea I have well, more like copying BF2 but RO2 lacks and im sure can be done as well is medic class. But of course back then there was no such thing as defibs so the medic would dispense bandages for and for teamate revival a syringe like in Bad Company 2 vietnam with adrenaline to revive teamates. But would only be allow to carry a few.

And no squad leader spawning, spawning system would either be at spawn points or in case of front line becons would be placed which comes from BF3 which is one of the few things I like about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

What so funny?

Did you get a lol with HoW mod?

Seriously whats so funny? Im seeing too much pesimism that I suspect is due to politks......

Yes I might need IOM combined with MoH team. but hey like I said CS was made in less then a year by TWO people. Still is one of the most played games online and the most competitive online game in history

Still want to be pesimistic? What if I told you I would make single player campains as well? But these would not be the training with bots missions of RO2. Sceenplay and everything produced by me, dude if you only knew. The campaignt would be like Half Life and its 2 expansions. In the sense of 4 different characters from different experiences telling their story. Kind of Tarantinoesque

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.