• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I finally have my preciousssssss

Ossius

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Spoiler!

After so so so so many kills, even with x4 last year and x2 kills counting, it took an insane amount of time, I won't lie, I have bot farmed along the way. I've nearly clocked 100 hours in the game and it all has been playing MG class.

I've learned a lot about the MG as a weapon too.
1) The MG's tracer rounds are invaluable to hip firing with any amount of accuracy. I don't even look where the barrel is aiming most of the time, I just firing a few rounds in the general direction and once I see the tracer I normally can correct and kill my target in the next two shots.

2) I believe anyone playing the MG class should learn to hipfire it before they get into mounting the MG and using it that way. The reason for this is before I got skilled hipfiring, the only way I would die is either from someone shooting me in the back while I was mounted, or killing me en route to my next position. Now that I can hipfire reasonably enough to defend my self, I don't die but a fraction of the time I used to.

3) People who believe ramboing the MG is easy and we just can run around getting crazy kills is full of BS. I will admit, if you are within 10m of me, I'm going to kill you before you kill me, with the exception being assault class, rifles don't have the firepower to stop me. If you are in a building with drywall, and I know you are in there, your a deadman, especially with the 250 rounds I will shoot chest level through all the walls to kill people in buildings. However if we are playing on a map like spartnovka (bad spelling) or commissars house, I can't simply hipfire people at 30m easily, it takes a lot of practice to pull shots like that.

4) If you think that because you pick a MG you'll be some demigod of suppression, you'll be sorely disappointed, players don't fear death in RO2. The MG in RO2 is NOT some magical suppression weapon. The only time I ever effectively suppress an enemy is if I unload about 20 rounds his direction and he is in open terrain. They will dive for cover, but once they are behind cover they almost always peak and and try and return fire. Luckily this normally ends well for me, as I can fire 900rpm with excellent accuracy. Please just stay down if you are under an MG's lane of fire, don't be a hero, you can't outgun me. Re-position then strike.

5) This is the big one that made the MG34 awesome for me. Bind the Secondary fire to a key on the keyboard, forget the Middle mouse button, it is only hampering you. Unless you got a nice mouse that doesn't give you issues, you'll find spamming the mouse wheel doesn't work that great. I bound secondary fire to the G key, it is really close to the WADS keys and allows me to rapidly tap the single shot. This almost completely eliminate recoil, lowers overheating chances, and gives you way more control over your shots. I hardly ever fire full auto because frankly I find it a wasteful use of my bullets. If I need the 300-500rpms I rapidly hit G, if I need 900 to kill a group of people or scare someone into cover that I clearly can't peg, I'll full auto.

There are some other tips I've learned over time, but all I have to say it is kind of frustrating TWI to make me work this hard on ONE weapon. Sure 250 rounds is a huge bonus, but I think its way to great of an advantage over stock players. I thought they didn't want that happening.

So yeah, if you see Ossius running around, remember, kill him and take his uber MG for your own playing enjoyment.

TL;DR, MG is awesome, master hipfiring, bind the secondary fire to a keyboard key, happy hunting.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I don't full agree with how fast the MG34 can be yanked around while hipfiring, the kind of hipfiring I do is very precise and accurate, I don't spam full auto and expect to reliably hit anything. That said I think the recoil on the gun is perfect while moving, while standing still upright it has good kick on full auto as well. Spinning around 180 and shooting a guy in the face with little consequence is very bad though, I don't know how it could be fixed however, maybe enter into a "braced" stat like RO1 where you can fire but turn really slowly. (Would actually help my accuracy if it slowed movements)

Also there is a problem with the physics of the MG belt, I like how it sways and all while you move, but it makes reloading really weird looking and have some clipping issues.

Last edited:
I also wish death was feared a little more , on TE gametype anyway , and suppression played a more convincing role.
On larger maps there might be a bit more fear of death but on the current crop of tiny maps you're back into the action within seconds and you're on the guy that got you first, so death has little to no meaning for most.

In the light of death meaning almost nothing the suppression mechanism could do with being a bit more conspicuous (and consistent throughout gfx settings).

EDIT: Still annoys me to see MG Rambos dashing around otherwise unimpeded by the 30lbs+ of kicking mule (plus its feed) strapped to their hip. Me thinks the days of this kind of play are numbered (at least in Realism mode).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Congrats indeed. Certainly going to be the next level 50 upgrade I get at my current rate. Partially as I've always been fond of the MG since it was added to the RO1 mod, and partially because I hate the damn double drum!

If only I could replace both 250round belt and the double drum with a... 100-150 round belt :p

Upvote 0