• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I enjoyed tanking in RO1 much more.

There are still some issues, but in general, I think the RO2 tanks are more realistic. You feel more like you're in a tank, especially with the suspension. While the T-34 is more vulnerable than in RO1, I think the angling was a bit too effective. Since the last patch, I've noticed the Panzers are more vulnerable (or I'm getting better at finding the ammo storage boxes).

TWI really needs to make it so you can easily tell who's in your tank (I'm sure they'll get to it, but they have bigger fish to fry). Right now you have to hit ESC go to squad selection, and see who's in your tank. This could be remedied if the squad selection screen were the default - but I doubt that's going to happen.

Here's some points to note: Apparently, Squad Voice Chat also doubles as Vehicle Voice Chat - which is "P" by default (can't find in the configs). I'm not sure, by Squad Chat may also do the same thing when in tank (since the tank is it's own squad) - I think that's "I" by default.

Upvote 0
RO1 tank battles were epic, EPIC! Wayyyy better.

TW just cant do Tanks this time around when they made every map so small, tanks are almost not even needed at all.

TW stated takes 3 months to model and complete a tank.... HAHAH what a bunch of wasted work and time. Could of used RO1 models and mechanics. Instead the tanks are the #1 glitchy thing..

I just got over it and everytime I see some complains about tanks in-game or online, i just laugh at TW and their terrible work. "it takes 3 months PER TANK" lololollolololol. Please, keep those crappy tanks you wanted to release in a DLC to yourself.

Full of crap, I can go find 10 modelers and coders right now that can build a 10x better looking tank than TW did in 3 months.. Just go call up PR team and FH.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They took three steps forward with the tanks in RO2 and five back in my opinion. The improvement in damage modelling is superb and the interiors are sublime. But they trashed dedicated crew-teaming and removing the ability to enter/exit the vehicles makes them feel like a suit of weird armor, if that makes any sense.
Also changing gun control from WASD to mouse was a retograde step, the gunner should have WASD to control the turret, leaving the commander and driver to have WASD to direct the tank. The gunner shouldn't be able to direct the tank at all from his gun position, that is totally arcade. The ideal positions therefore, for a two-human crew, is one in the commander's cupola, directing the tank, and the other manning the gun. He could then switch between his gun and the driver's position.
Then there's the AI doing its own thing which absolutely sucks; it's a step too far due to it being counter-productive in a fight and also way too uber against targets.

There's always a chance TWI will change things, but highly unlikely.

+1 Totally agree, but as for TWI changing them, i don't think their's any chance of that, they're just not interested, after all they released a map (Gumrak) where the tanks hover above the surface.
Then they put a 2 tanks on Red October, a map totally unsuited to tanks.
In fact i'm suprised that these 2 maps (with tanks) ever got past the Alpha stage, when clearly things were not right with them.
That shows just how much they care about tanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slappy Cromwell
Upvote 0
RO1 tank battles were epic, EPIC! Wayyyy better.

TW just cant do Tanks this time around when they made every map so small, tanks are almost not even needed at all.

TW stated takes 3 months to model and complete a tank.... HAHAH what a bunch of wasted work and time. Could of used RO1 models and mechanics. Instead the tanks are the #1 glitchy thing..

I just got over it and everytime I see some complains about tanks in-game or online, i just laugh at TW and their terrible work. "it takes 3 months PER TANK" lololollolololol. Please, keep those crappy tanks you wanted to release in a DLC to yourself.

Full of crap, I can go find 10 modelers and coders right now that can build a 10x better looking tank than TW did in 3 months.. Just go call up PR team and FH.

" KilrBe3 sucks. "

Upvote 0
In general i like the RO2 tanking, especially the fact you don't have to deal with uncooprative crewmen anymore.

The problem is the boring gumrak map. Compare to the RO:OF maps its just cheap. Only a plain with some buildings.
C'mon you proof u could design better tank maps.

You guys need to remember the awesome tank maps of RO1 did not all come out on release. A number of them were custom maps, released later, or were ported from RO:CA after quite a bit of development. Anybody remember TWI's mapping contests, like the "Summer Offensive"? That's where a lot of the best RO1 maps came from.

Anybody like to play "Krivoi Rog" in RO1? Nope. Even the really epic combined arms map, Leningrad was a custom map.

Once the community mappers get the SDK, I'm sure we'll see some kick *** maps. It'll also help to have a bit more variety when the new tanks come along.

And to the incredibly tactful .kill3rb, please, please call up your mapper and moder friends to put out some new content when the SDK comes out. Think of the great custom tanks made by the community - like the BT-7, ISU-152 etc.

Reactions: Cpt-Praxius
Upvote 0
also needing 8 shots on a PZIV while it one shots a T34 often...

not cool
Peple have to learn that there's no "health" in tanks anymore. You can hit the same spot as many times you want that the tank won't explode if it's a bad spot. It's actually pretty easy to score 1 hit kills in PzIVs when you find the weak spots. I managed to kill 5 tanks in Pavlov's House with my T34 before dying, 4 of them were 1 hit kills. I find tanking in RO2 100x better than in RO1 as I hated ping ponging, where the thickness of your armor meant nothing. I really like the new damage system and how armor is much more important than angle now. I hate controlling the cannon with the mouse though, but that's something I can live with.

Upvote 0
Listen: Once you put a couple hours into tanking and actually learn how to use them
the enjoyment in the tanks goes up exponentially.

You start knowing where to shoot, you start learning the angles,
you start getting the long shot hits on fast movers (the flash) -
even getting one shot kills every now and then. From both sides.
It's all about practice. I had the same frustration x many hours ago. The tanks are fine.

Hang out on Gumrak for the best long range,
and Pavlovs, or Comissars for the close in action.

On Pavlovs I was even able to ram a panzer in a T-34 after the main gun was hit.
Same map, I held off pairs of less practiced T-34's with a dead crew for a while.
The tanks are solid.

Upvote 0
Listen: Once you put a couple hours into tanking and actually learn how to use them
the enjoyment in the tanks goes up exponentially.

You start knowing where to shoot, you start learning the angles,
you start getting the long shot hits on fast movers (the flash) -
even getting one shot kills every now and then. From both sides.
It's all about practice. I had the same frustration x many hours ago. The tanks are fine.

Hang out on Gumrak for the best long range,
and Pavlovs, or Comissars for the close in action.

On Pavlovs I was even able to ram a panzer in a T-34 after the main gun was hit.
Same map, I held off pairs of less practiced T-34's with a dead crew for a while.
The tanks are solid.

agreed

Upvote 0
Guys, i am not whining about realism in RO2, im just complaining about the lack of communication which you have with your crew members. in RO1 tank communcation was just fine, but in RO2 you dont even know who you are playing with, neither do you have the option to give quick commands to other crew members ( as much as i know ]

Upvote 0
Leaving a dead tank and running around RO2 with a pistol would be pointless.
Make a last stand - or hit K to scuttle when you're out of ammo / bypassed.
Respawn with a new vehicle. Maybe if there was an Arad Real Forests type of map from RO1
would bailing ever be a good thing.

You wouldn't have wanted to bail on Black Day July would you?
Yeah, with the maps right now, bailing would be pointless. I thought HOS should have allowed you to use your pistol when you stick your head out. And what about the port holes in the tanks? I heard a tanker could use his MP40 if he shot out of the port holes.

Upvote 0
Peple have to learn that there's no "health" in tanks anymore. You can hit the same spot as many times you want that the tank won't explode if it's a bad spot. It's actually pretty easy to score 1 hit kills in PzIVs when you find the weak spots. I managed to kill 5 tanks in Pavlov's House with my T34 before dying, 4 of them were 1 hit kills. I find tanking in RO2 100x better than in RO1 as I hated ping ponging, where the thickness of your armor meant nothing. I really like the new damage system and how armor is much more important than angle now. I hate controlling the cannon with the mouse though, but that's something I can live with.

This. Most People need to learn how to aim first. I was playing on Pavlovs House today, too and because Tank Commander was full, I chose Crewman and did the gunner in exchange with another guy, who was commander. So the thing is: i have no problem one shotting Pz IVs but apparently my Commander had. Every time I let him play the gunner, he wasted shot after shot, because he wasnt aiming at the weakspots (which arent even that hidden). So instead of the hull, where the ammo rack is, he shot the turret :D But eventually I took over the gunner completely and we worked together pretty good. Too bad theres no proper communication menu for tanks.

Upvote 0