• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I dunno what to name this topic.

mrnok14l

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2012
Taiwan
Before I begin to talk about this rather simple idea that have been brewing in me head, I'd like to explain the context a lil. Killing Floor has been a relatively simple game: go into the floor, kill loads of Zeds, earn money, get rich, buy bigger gun to kill bigger Zeds, so on so forth.

With enough enjoyable flavors ticking to the player's liking, namely the game's implementation to gore and animation, etc; this gameplay loop could be fun enough for anyone to devote hundreds - if not thousands - of passionate hours for filling every progress bar or trying every possible feat there is - which in our case are things like perk levels or face-washing Scrakes left and right with a pair of DEagles.

That said, fatigue eventually happens one way or the other; after a long while, which in my case is 1600+ hours of playing over the course of 3 or maybe 4 years, the gameplay experience has staled so much that the game pretty much spans out the same despite variances do always happen along the way.

Although I'd like to be content enough to say that variance is all what's needed to keep the experience rolling forward, but I couldn't, I honestly can't play a game like this regularly for the foreseeable future - for its existing formula of core gameplay can only extend that magical 30 seconds of adrenaline as much as thus far, albeit it's safe to say that future content release will lure a long-term player such as myself back into it for another whirl.

Killing Floor 2 has a solid core gameplay that iterated upon its first, for instance: the addition of sprinting granted a new layer of maneuverability for players to dance with Zeds. But I honestly believe something about the game's core gameplay gotta have to change or "evolve" (depending what level of intensity we're talking about) or develop new feature, in order for this game to retain players to play it outside of timely quests or players' momentary bloodlust - simply because its current set of complementary attractions slash selling points: the versus mode, the cosmetic, the seasonal event, have been proving finite both for bring up the player count and holding it. I hope stats like this is a factor fair and objective enough for everyone to agree here, that is "the game's future is not in seasonal event or cosmetic or anything of this matter".

The experience in retrospect isn't so interesting nor cohesive for said goal about retaining players - not just because those exotic elements are mere cosmetic that barely have anything to do with the core gameplay - and not only because each session is inconsistent enough that makes it difficult for players to come back for a specific scenario ticking with their liking, but also due to the difference between encountering the classic dual Fleshpound, or a squad of Quarterpound, or intensified streak of Scrake spawns for those onslaught moments - isn't a fundamental factor like environment that can actually induce a certain corresponding type of gameplay - as it would pretty much still revolves around with high-tier weaponry and headshots. The variance, the refreshment, the alternatives, or whatever term we're looking at, is really that minute and lacking in context of the topic at hand. In short, one could say "there is just not much about it, it's the same routine same loop and the variances are noises not refreshments".

Till this day, I've tried to suggest many things ranging from splitting each perk to 2 paths so the game can more effectively cater more playstyles, or just a buncha of stats suggests about weaponry in general in effort to improve the weapon meta. However, since the progress hasn't been very prominent, so I suppose either those are really that far-fetched or I was suggesting to change something that TWI have been holding really dear for anyone else to mess with in any significant manner.

Anyhow, I'm afraid this wall-o-text is gonna end without a conclusion for my own sake, given I'm feeling I had left enough crumbs so any further devotion might as well be mere annoyance.

Well, fatigue from playing one game more than others is natural... myself not playing online as much and in 2 months will be celebrating 4 years of playing this game and being in this community (nearly 1700 hours... could have been more if i didnt have other games to play x))

And the loop... i mean kf1 had the same loop that you just described, only difference being that the game had a horrible hit reg every so often that it actually required skill to notice bad reg and finish the job, while also enjoying the 3 voice actor banter with those auto response binds, and the grittines, and music that was pumping now to think about it.

While kf2 has evolved beyond that with more varied zeds and their attacks, those hold your ground so you wouldn't sit in one place all the time, etc.
But its a bit too clean, lacks humor that kf1 had with their insults on zeds and players, and the responses.

+ The mental state of the game is quite arse when it comes to the gameplay and the boss fight.
Where most people care more about how many kills they get, rather than surviving together till the end (some care so much that they act toxic to others who are at the 2nd half of the board... like dude...)
And the boss health bar? before it was added players had something to fear about, as they didn't know how much hans had health left before his minions would show up, so they had to look around and be the first one's to defend if the horde was approaching, and clutching it was less stressful because of not knowing how much hp boss had left, thereof no one would judge you if you were 1 hit away from killing it.

Now its just a boring routine of: gang up on boss, healing phase means kill minions and then repeat.... that one stupid bar just changed the whole feel of a boss fight, making it the most boring event out of the whole match. (unless GC says fck it and ramps that boss up that it actually destroys your cavity, now that's fun lol)

I say remove the kill count from the scoreboard entirely, and replace it with an info about what weapon that dead guy used before he died.
If someone picked the dead person's weapon, it would show up on his line in the scoreboard, so the dead player would know who has it.
And if that person sold his weapon, it would change to color red and you would be at full right to kick that kunt for being such a bad person xD
ofc if dead player left the game, the weapon would no longer show on who has it as it no longer has an owner.

And also remove the boss health bar and see how the gameplay mentally changes.

And trying to vary up the gameplay.... by its core that's not really plausible without making it an entirely different game or adding mechanics that are beyond the scope of this game's fictional world.

The only variation i guess is to have a more advanced objective mode in the game?
Santa's workshop was a nice addition, with a kick ass ending if you failed to deliver the nuke.

But how about expanding it where you have a map with 3 sets of objectives that would be randomly picked to be played in that given match.
Or go beyond where each objective section changes so you would have no idea what next objective will be after each checkpoint.

Right now idk, take a brake from the game?
I'm here right now just grinding my prestige 4 and then playing nfs undercover because i honestly have nothing better to do (i'm alone and have no one to play games with)

Upvote 0
s5yn3t;n2330055 said:
Right now idk, take a brake from the game?

Been taking a break from KF2 for almost an year now if I'm counting correctly.

I mean... the game itself is "fun" while the gameplay is - just - not - fun; it's a very conflictive feeling that marries to my relation with this game at one point (back around the Infinite Onslaught Update) -- where I think I'm just being too greedy for not content with the state of the game, so I sucked it up and keep playing somewhat regularly for a couple more months.

That said, it is definitely not like KF2 is a bad game and I would urge anyone stay away from it, it's just that after switching between different playstyles and trying different approaches, I still found myself gravitating towards a couple of the best options - versus considering all weapons and all perks; And - if it's fair to bounce an idea onto TWI off of this personal feeling, I can only say "TWI hasn't been so great at improving the gameplay; take EDAR for example, it took them months to get something that's inherently not fun into something gameplay-wise bearable".

I really don't know how to deal with this feeling so I guess I'm better off sharing it to see whether or not it's just me gone mental.

Upvote 0