• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I dont want to have the low violence version forced on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machete234

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2010
This is a problem that only Germans and maybe Australians have because we have very strict laws for violent games.

When I bought RO1 I had the violent version for about a month until steam updated the game.
It didnt ruin the game but something was missing.

There was no way to get the violent version back, the same problem is in l4d2 I think.
Apparently steam can see from your ip which country youre from and then forces this version on you.

Can there be a way that I (as a grown up) can buy an uncensored version of Ro2 and it will stay that way?

I still have the uncut version of L4D2, but I received a gifted key from outer Germany. They don't change those back to censored game versions. The difference with Red Orchestra was that they changed to a new system of identifying censored from uncensored versions, where all the german people buying english versions got shafted.
This should not happen with the new version of the game. Also I will probably get it gifted from a non german source again to get it uncut. This is what you should probably do to.

About L4D2. If you bought the german version and had it uncut the first month, then you got lucky. If your english version turned german, you might want to try setting your Steam to english and verifying your game files again.

Upvote 0
This is a problem that only Germans and maybe Australians have because we have very strict laws for violent games.

It was the exact opposite for me. I bought the German retail version of RO:Ost when it was released which of course was cut. After that patch my game became uncut, simply because Steam recognized that I'm living in Austria. :)

Upvote 0
Gotta hate censorship. Thankfully not a problem to me, they allow everybody to watch all the gore they can take over here.
If that would change, i would most likely move. I sincerely dislike other people telling me what i can and cannot watch. It is my own decision to make, and not some retarded politician who thinks its better to waste his time on stupid rules like this instead of creating a better world for all of us.

Upvote 0

When I bought RO1 I had the violent version for about a month until steam updated the game.

There was no way to get the violent version back, the same problem is in l4d2 I think.
Apparently steam can see from your ip which country youre from and then forces this version on you.

Can there be a way that I (as a grown up) can buy an uncensored version of Ro2 and it will stay that way?

I hope its not against the rules but I answer in german because I don

Upvote 0

Try to choose another country in options in Steam for your profile.
Then it will not update the game.. :)
I guess it would work..

Change it in options and then buy the game ! (the french version for example)

Upvote 0
I guess it would work..

As far as I know, Steam identifies your location via your IP address. And using a proxy seems to be restricted by the treaty you agreed to when you created your Steam account, so using a proxy could get you an account ban.
Actually, I'd love to see an age verification system integrated in Steam - this way, Steam users even in Germany could buy 18+ games or games on the Index after their age authentification.
I think this could make Steam more popular, too.

Upvote 0
I guess it would work..

It did work a few years ago, but steam changed it's system so it judges your location by IP and not by language.

Upvote 0
In Australia (No R18+ rating), it's funny ATM. I believe it's the only Country that You can play games like CoD BO at 15 years of age because it's MA15+. This has lead to a push to introduce a R18+. rating...Australian Pollies are (Finally) realising that the lack of the R rating is both hurting sales of Games here (and therefore Tax Dollars got from sales) and the fact people who shouldn't be exposed to these games are.....They also finally woke up to the fact they can't control or police it....

Upvote 0
I really doubt it will get censored in Australia ... if it does that is reason enough for me to move ...

Have you seen how much gore there is going to be in HoS guzz60?

47905_151771878178194_148119008543481_321892_1489136_n.jpg

Upvote 0
The gore is no worse than in ROOst and that had no problems with the Australian ratings board. It's also significantly less than many other games that get through just fine, so there is very little chance of us getting a shafted version here (Australia).

Incidentally, the censorship was the sole reason that I refused to purchase L4D2. Even with the crazy sales, I will not pay money for a cut down version of a game (and on a random side note, I also won't pay money to Activision for any game at all because, well, because they're Activision).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.