• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design I don't really know..

Zell

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Maine, USA
Shot00001.jpg

Shot00002.jpg

Nice work- in particular the surrounding rocks.
Presuming the roof is missing due to damage, it looks a bit strange that the trussels appear intact. I would also have thought these supports would origionate between the side windows rather than directly above each of them.
I appreciate they may not transfer load all the way down the side walls but I do think they would look nicer positioned this way, might seem more natural.
That being said the wooden beams seem quite lightweight if the are designed to support a heavy slate roof- more suited to a barn,but im no architect. Phaps its because they are a light wood- a dark heavy oak colour might subliminally suggest more strength.

However the large solid structure of the dome definately does look too heavy to just be supported at the edges by the side walls. I'd expect the walls to slope inwards at the 4 corners to bare the weight of the mass of stone.

I would be tempted to place more slate/roof rubble on the ground as well-
and while it's a nice effect, I've always wondered how cracked but otherwize intact slabs lift out of position and rotate as well ( i remember seeing this a lot in UT99 custom maps)
Really sorry to nitpick- it looks really nice. I don't know if you wanted things pointed out, but these points just sprang to mind as soon as i saw it.

Upvote 0
To answer your question about the tiles- Perhaps they were in the process of being removed because they were cracked?

Anyway I'll try to put some slate rubble on the ground if I can, but it's getting quite cramped in there.

Does this look better? I also moved all the lifted tiles into a pile in the corner so it hopefully looks more sensical.
pretty.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Horror of horrors! I decided that the cheerful sunny weather was just too happy for RO, so I made it rain and thunder. Except I don't know how to make it thunder. :(

Now, I'm really creeped out :eek:

I think the best way to simulate ambient lightning strikes (that's what you meant, right?) is to put a light actor in the skybox with Lighting Effects set to LE_Stobe or LE_Pulse. Not sure which one...I think check the skybox on Danzig because it has a lightning/distant artillery effect going on over the horizon.

As for creating actual lightning bolts, you'll need to study up on how to do beam effects with emitters. It can be done though:)

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/BeamEmitter.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I did mean lightning, but I meant like in Krasnyi or Danzig where lightning flashes in the skybox as you said, and then a few seconds later thunder rumbles. Brilliant effect.

Also, I decided to make it a little prettier and have the sun peeking out through the clouds much like Danzig. Unfortunately, the effect used for the sun is just a light with a massive corona. The problem with this is, the fog makes the sunlight disappear. Is there a way to force the light to be drawn at all times, even through fog? :(

Upvote 0