• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I don't like RO2

First: I am not trolling but as a paying customer i feel i've the right to say what i think about a product I bought.

I hope not to get banned or abused for an honest and direct opinion.
And if you want feel free to laugh at me about my english, unfortunately it's not my first language. I know bad reviews aren't welcome.

Let me say my point of view is that of an affectioned RO player.
I've been waiting for this game for months.

RO was a great game, i've been playing it for years and still i'm enjoying it. I guess i'll go back to it very soon, maybe tomorrow. For sure i'm not willing to play RO2 for years to come.

Well, i tried RO2 all night long and i've to say it's a big let down. I'm not talking just about bugs and things you may fix in the near future. I find it pretty weak compared to the first RO, in general. All i was asking for was an improved RO: same gameplay - it was near perfect, you can't improve it a lot ! - , some bug fixes (the damn "can't pick up weapon" was never fixed and it is still sooo annoying), new maps, new exciting roles, a real campaign instead of single maps. And maybe better graphics but it wasn't so important cause as everyone knows the first RO was all about gameplay (tactical but still funny).

Instead you changed the way you move around (BTW the "cannot prone here" in semi open locations is really annoying and frustrating and so the "can't deploy here" which seems to happens in all the "wrong" places), the balistics themselves feel really different, some weapons feel and operate in a different way (nade tosses a lot shorter, can't "cook" satchels and so on). You know, you could change things in a good way, improving them. My opinion is that you did the exact opposite: you have broken them! The game is not as funny and neat as it was, not at all. The graphic itself is nothing to write home about: too dark and gloomy. I feel like the proportions are not right: the soldiers are too big. I missed the pixels hunting at the distant horizon line. I don't like the effects, also: the smoke, the way the tanks fire...

I don't know, maybe RO2 will be an huge commercial success and you may be happy with that. After all you are exploiting RO underground success. RO is a game with a good and affectionate player base. it was and it is a nice niche. But still i consider it a step back. The new "Deus Ex 2" (just to mention another game i liked very much followed by a very disappointing sequel). Maybe there will be a RO3, like for Deus Ex. In that case i suggest you consider the first title like the starting base you have to develop, forget the second.

"Sorry" for the honesty, i'm pretty sure more people will disagree with me than agree, but still...

Thanks for your attention,

Stalker

know the feeling and recognise myself in alot of these things. However I will give it a try for a couple of weeks and see if I still hold the same views with respect to the game.

The most ennoying thing that I have found is the rather blurry setting and the fact that sometimes I am stuck against a wall :/

Guess I am just getting old:(

Upvote 0
I think that you're wrongly comparing a 5 years old game with lot of improvements and mods with a new game that it's still a child.
You're right, there are lot of bugs and "things that may be improved" but the game itself is really excellent and it simply need some tweaking and to evolve.

About the soldiers....too big? TOO BIG? Damn, we're playing Red Hobbits: Heroes of the Shire :p:p

Upvote 0
Whatever you do, don't "give up" on RO2. As we know from experience with RO1, TWI WILL support this game for a long long time, the bugs WILL get squashed, there WILL be some awsome (and free!) mods for this game, and the game engine has so much more potential than the RO1 engine. Resist the temptation to jump on the "Let's bash RO2 and TWI" train , have some faith in the company that brought us the greatest WW2 FPS ever, and just keep the faith! TWB*SlowBull

Reactions: clambo
Upvote 0
I have been an RO1 player since the game was released. I have been waitingfor RO2 and now that it is out I'm left a little upset myself. First, theytried to make RO like a BF2 game. It just doesn’t work. I am sorry to say butthe game plays like crap with all the different game modes. I just want to playlike we did in RO1. You picked a side and started killing things enemies. Thatsimple! Now I feel like I am playing some form of rush-mode in BF2BC2. Itsimply doesn’t work. Also, and this is a huge issue for me. Why can't we exit atank anymore? When I jump into a tank I can't seem to get out of it. So,basically anyone getting into a tank just sealed the cover on there coffin?This one alone has killed the game for me.

Another huge issue for me is all this breathing nonsense! I don't want tosound like Darth Vader from Star-Wars when I use my iron sights. Yes, it is abit more realistic but this is silly. This needs to be patched out ASAP!

My overall impression of the game is to me it feels like work to play itnow. The spawn system is all confusing to me now. When your side does somethingthe game resets it seems and we start in a different location. This is a WW2war game not BF3. I am truly disappointed of the direction of this game. I wasreally just hopping for a new and improved RO1. Now I feel this has turned intoa BF3 wanna-be clone set in WW2. The graphics look great as I have no realissues there. But the game play sucks. It is not smooth and easy anymore. Had Iknown this is the way the game was going to be I never would have pre-orderedit in the first place...

As of right now I would give this game a 6/10. RO1 I would rate an 8/10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cyper and freeman45
Upvote 0
I've been playing since day one of Ostfront and I must say I didn't like it upon release either. Through time however Ostfront became one of the most memorable gaming experiences of all time.

I agree with the you, RO 2 isn't what Ostfront became to be but I strongly believe that with a bit work RO 2 will develop into a gem.

Upvote 0
RO1 had the gameplay I fell in love with (actually that was RO 2.0) and even though RO2 has alot of improvements it has also alot of questionable decisions like Lockdown, mkb for assault, permanent bayonets, etc. and alot of bugs. Over time the bugs will be fixed and I might enjoy the game, but as it is now I went back to RO1, I might occasionaly play RO2 and some random game I feel like playing. It's just not quite the same. Maybe I'm getting old because it seems games don't have the same effect on me anymore as they did in the past but I have no other way to waste my time.

Upvote 0
First: I am not trolling but as a paying customer i feel i've the right to say what i think about a product I bought.

And if you want feel free to laugh at me about my english, unfortunately it's not my first language. I know bad reviews aren't welcome.

RO was a great game, i've been playing it for years and still i'm enjoying it. I guess i'll go back to it very soon, maybe tomorrow. For sure i'm not willing to play RO2 for years to come.

Well, i tried RO2 all night long and i've to say it's a big let down. I'm not talking just about bugs and things you may fix in the near future. I find it pretty weak compared to the first RO, in general. All i was asking for was an improved RO: same gameplay - it was near perfect, you can't improve it a lot ! - , some bug fixes (the damn "can't pick up weapon" was never fixed and it is still sooo annoying), new maps, new exciting roles, a real campaign instead of single maps. And maybe better graphics but it wasn't so important cause as everyone knows the first RO was all about gameplay (tactical but still funny).

Instead you changed the way you move around (BTW the "cannot prone here" in semi open locations is really annoying and frustrating and so the "can't deploy here" which seems to happens in all the "wrong" places), the balistics themselves feel really different, some weapons feel and operate in a different way (nade tosses a lot shorter, can't "cook" satchels and so on). You know, you could change things in a good way, improving them. My opinion is that you did the exact opposite: you have broken them! The game is not as funny and neat as it was, not at all. The graphic itself is nothing to write home about: too dark and gloomy. I feel like the proportions are not right: the soldiers are too big. I missed the pixels hunting at the distant horizon line. I don't like the effects, also: the smoke, the way the tanks fire...

I don't know, maybe RO2 will be an huge commercial success and you may be happy with that. After all you are exploiting RO underground success. RO is a game with a good and affectionate player base. it was and it is a nice niche. But still i consider it a step back. The new "Deus Ex 2" (just to mention another game i liked very much followed by a very disappointing sequel). Maybe there will be a RO3, like for Deus Ex. In that case i suggest you consider the first title like the starting base you have to develop, forget the second.

"Sorry" for the honesty, i'm pretty sure more people will disagree with me than agree, but still...

Stalker

Dude I just saw your comment on the Gamefront. You raved about it on there. You make no sense.

Upvote 0
I like this game because i am thanking god that it was created. I know in the future that the bugs will be fixed and bigger, better map mods will be made but most important, It has the possobility of being modded at all. The developers of this game are "thinking" "old school, PC, moddable, war shooter game" with incredable support. Its the only game that is keeping this style of gaming going. Guys should not take these facts for granted.

Take a look at other current new games out. They are all about making a quick buck and copying each other to steal each other fan base and money. It has nothing to do with making a good game (ie: BC3, COD89 and all other console based games). The new game developer purposly DO NOT put mod support in their games any more because they want to be the only ones to make "DLC" so they can rape you of your money. Good luck getting any "real" mod out of them. BC3 developers even go's so far as to tell the mod community that they are not smart enough to mod their console based engine Frodstbite so they are not including mod tools.
So, to sum this up, yes, TWI is a smaller company and yes we need to let them fix bugs etc. but we should thank god that they exist and that we have many awsome mods to look forward to in this game to make it better and better.. The RO2 you just bought is just the beginning of a nice long, colorfull ride. Reload your gun and keep low suka, they are going to be shi**ing their pants..

Last edited:
Reactions: oldslowguy
Upvote 0

Everybody has the right to say what's on their mind..... whether or not it'll make a difference is another story.

If they're just for someone to moan and gripe, rather than be constructive and possibly provide some suggestions, then typically, no they're not welcome often ;)

Instead you changed the way you move around (BTW the "cannot prone here" in semi open locations is really annoying and frustrating

It's to prevent players from going prone in a little box or in the corner of a room where their legs stick out the other side of a wall, and all you have to shoot is a torso sticking out of a wall...... at best, you should be able to crouch in a corner or near a wall, but you can not go completely prone without moving forward or away from the wall/object. Thus, the problem isn't RO2 preventing you from proning in areas you shouldn't, the problem is in RO1 allowing you do so something unrealistic.

A possible solution for this to please everybody is to allow you to go prone near walls and objects, but it would also force you to drop forward to compensate for the limited space. The problem with this is that for many situations, it'd plop you right out in the open and exposed for an easy kill.

and so the "can't deploy here" which seems to happens in all the "wrong" places),

I personally never had any serious issues from this and seem to be able to deploy my MG, ATR, etc. anywhere I need, minus one or two spots.... but I can certainly deploy my weapons a hell of a lot easier than I could in RO1.

the balistics themselves feel really different, some weapons feel and operate in a different way (nade tosses a lot shorter, can't "cook" satchels and so on). You know, you could change things in a good way, improving them. My opinion is that you did the exact opposite: you have broken them! The game is not as funny and neat as it was, not at all.

Why does it need to be "Funny?" ~ Or did you mean "Fun?"

For me, the game is much more fun than RO1 and reminds me a lot of the mod, RO:CA, which in my opinion, was heaps better than RO1.... but with fewer features.

The graphic itself is nothing to write home about: too dark and gloomy.

Seems just fine to me and far more realistic than RO1.

I feel like the proportions are not right: the soldiers are too big.

Too big?

I've hear most people saying the soldiers are too small compared to windows and doorways..... I personally don't have any issues towards the sizes of the characters.

I missed the pixels hunting at the distant horizon line.

I don't..... pixel hunting isn't good for your eyes and the size of things on your monitor in RO1 were never scaled properly to what you'd normally see in real life..... thus things in RO2, such as the characters, appear to be larger than normal..... they're actually around the right size now.

And pixel hunting still exists in RO2, it's just not as bad as it was in RO1.

I don't like the effects, also: the smoke, the way the tanks fire...

I don't know, maybe RO2 will be an huge commercial success and you may be happy with that. After all you are exploiting RO underground success.

Exploiting? :confused:

You can not exploit something that is your own property that you created yourself..... That's like saying some musical artist is exploiting their previous successes by releasing another album... how dare they!

They could put out another album that's identical to the previous one, which people will turn around and say is unoriginal, uninspired and is indeed exploiting the successes of their previous work..... or you can have them put out a different album with a different sound & originality, and then you have people saying it's not the same style as their previous one and they lost their way. Either way, no matter what you do, you'll never please everybody with your next work.

You'll either have people hate that it's not a carbon copy of the old work, or have people hate that it's just the exact same thing as the old work, but with more bells and whistles to suck people into paying for it...... I prefer to be neither and accept the game for what it is on its own merits.

RO:CA is not RO1, RO:CA is not RO2, RO1 is not RO:CA, RO1 is not RO2, and RO2 is neither RO:CA or RO1. To me, RO2 is in between RO:CA & RO1, but it's still its own game.

RO1 leads into a completely different direction than what RO:CA was heading and imo, RO2 seems to have gone back to the path RO:CA was originally taking.

RO is a game with a good and affectionate player base. it was and it is a nice niche. But still i consider it a step back. The new "Deus Ex 2" (just to mention another game i liked very much followed by a very disappointing sequel). Maybe there will be a RO3, like for Deus Ex. In that case i suggest you consider the first title like the starting base you have to develop, forget the second.

Keep in mind that the first RO title was Red Orchestra Combined Arms (The Mod)..... it was before RO1 and in my opinion, RO2 ties very close to the Mod than it does to RO1, thus, RO2 follows a lot closer to RO's original ties than RO1 did.... RO1 is the black sheep of the family, sorry to say, and I preferred the mod over RO1..... RO2 is a huge improvement from RO1 due to this.

But again, everybody has their preferences.

Stalker

No problem..... oh by the way, these are the RO1 forums..... RO2 forums are that way ^

Last edited:
Upvote 0
10298369.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Placebo Cyanide
Upvote 0
Sorry guys, but i've posted here by mistake.
It was intended for the RO2 forum and I wrote it the first day after the beta.

The post is incomplete and the "debate" happened elsewhere.

In case you are interested or if you want to discuss it (but i doubt it :)) the "right", more articulated thread is here:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=63245

Upvote 0
If you would excuse the metaphor, it's like which is better a 1967 Cobra or a 2011 Ferrari? Both exciting, fun, radical to drive, but is one really better? Just from different eras. I would love to own both and I do own both RO and RO2. Both are great, different, and fun and challenging to play. Many seem to forget the steep learning curve of the original RO and how many hated it for its realism, and how they grew to love because of that realism....it just took patients and practice. The same holds true for RO2: patience and practice. It's a great advancement to the original. Give it a chance. I play both and love both.:)
`swamp

Upvote 0
RO2 is feels like It's mostly about pressing the tactical view botton and rush for the objectives. I have tried to enjoy it for 20 hours but I simply can't. The maps are so small, crowded, weapons are incredible precise and easy to handle and so on. I am not saying that they should have the same weapon sway etc. as in RO1 but common. Even the command radial in RO2 isn't improved; as a matter of fact, it's stripped down to even fit into a console game.

Upvote 0