• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Hunger" shotgun for survivalist

Milan

Grizzled Veteran
  • Apr 19, 2021
    Kazan
    You can turn on some music while you read this, if you want:
    *yes, it's not my vid*​

HUNGER shotgun:​

2022-10-31-22-59-35-423.jpg

VideoCapture_20221101-025648.jpg

2022-10-31-22-50-17-655.jpg

Blood-Magic rune on the shotgun converts normal buckshot shells into something else..
    Primary fire:
    shoots buskshots that suck the life out of zeds: weapon features new power and status affliction - "exposed".
    • Exposed zeds have their penetration resistance decreased down to 0.
    • Penetration mechanic works backwards on exposed zeds, they take increased damage from Hunger shotgun depending on their penetration resistance

• Hunger shotgun has penetration power of 2 and damage bonus is calculated by formula:
    (Hunger shotgun penetration power : zed penetration power resistance) : 2 = damage bonus
    (other players don't gain any damage bonuses towards exposed zed)
    for example:
    damage bonus for exposed bloat: (2:3) : 2 = 33%;
    against exposed fleshpound: (2:5) : 2 = 20%

You can recognize exposed zeds by special mark above their heads:
    3056497.png

• If player hits zed with all pellets and the shot is fatal for zed, he will be obliterated and explode with blood, like HRG Vampire's blood balls, explosion will heal other players.

Secondary melee attack - combo with blood rune axe.

SPECIAL - Blood rune meter.
    • Each time you kill zeds with shotgun or axe blood rune meter fills up, when it's full - blood like fluid surrounds the axe and it shapeshifts into a bigger "Hungry blade".

• When blood rune meter is full, magic rune will give player vampiric abilities, player can heal himself whenewer he kills zeds with hungry blade, but only while it is still active

• Hungry blade deals more damage, and as mentioned above, it takes blood from zeds to heal the owner of the weapon, hungry blade also applies bleeding effect to zeds.

• Hungry blade is active for 30 seconds and then will shapeshift back into blood rune axe.

• Amount of health gained with vampirism is affected by survivalist's medic training.

Inspired by HRG Vampire and Skarlet from Mortal kombat, and her ability to shapeshift the enemy's blood into various weapons:
    *not my video*

/ / / Survivalist's own healing weapon. This weapon is designed to support precision perks that use weapons with penetration, like support or gunslinger - those perks will be able to pop exposed hordes of zeds like old, moldy watermelons, with just one lucky shot. With hunger shotgun you can basically make hordes more easy to pierce through, especially if you make big bullet sponges exposed, like bloats, that usually soak up the damage - any teammate that has a little bit of penetration power with their weaponry will shoot through exposed zeds without damage penalty. And if your target is strong enough not to die after first shot, you'll have increased dps, thanks to damage bonus to exposed zeds, you can dish out more damage if you unload all your shells at a single target. Weapon also allows survivalist to replace berserker in his absense, protecting others, thanks to vampiric ability given to player when blood rune is activated. You can protect weaker perks, if zeds come too close to your allies, close proximity with them and shoot pesky zeds point blank, if you connect all pellets, upon death zed will explode with blood, healing trapped players. / / /
    Weapon makes heavy emphasis on penetration just like most of the survivalist weapons.​

SMALL DETAILS:
    Cycling lever makes organic-like sounds, like SCORN weapons?

*not my video*​

Blood is dripping from the axe?
    You can hear sound effects simmilar to Vampire's blood sucking after you hit a zed with hungry blade?
    You can hear inaudible voices when blood rune is active?
    Rune glows while it's active?
    High spread factor?

Last edited:
    weapons like this should be used by zeds against player until u kill them and get his weapon as a side kick "special zed weapons withe life leech
    I don't have a clue how that would be implemented
    sounds a bit ovp
    But at least it's not spammy aoe chaotic weapon right? Some features might be cut off during actual development

Upvote 0
    I must admit that your presentation skills are becoming better and better ! If anything, that really makes me glad to read your suggestions. The inclusion of music is really unnecessary, and yet it adds so much flavor to your suggestions. I totally dig it ! Also super nice to have been inspired by Scorn and Skarlet... I absolutely love these influences, and I'd happily suggest some biopunk/splatterpunk material if you're into that kind of things?

The fact it's a weapon made of flesh and metal obviously reminds me of a lot of things, but surprisingly more so of the old Dead Frontier MMO... The game had a plethora of weapons like that, most being rare and all-powerful !

I don't really get the "blood-sucking" mechanic though... is it similar to the Vampire, where your next shot will be more powerful due to the amassed blood? Or is the blood you gathered tied to the "exposed" mechanic?

I also find the "exposed" mechanic to be sorta... counterintuitive? It sounds similar to the G36C's mechanic, but with extra steps. Maybe it could instead have very little penetration power (so you can only hit a single zed) but its armor would turn into dust? Kinda like a slug-based shotgun, since we've been asking for something like that for quite a while !

I don't think it should have a healing mechanic though. It is not a medic weapon, and even if it was : it would be underwhelming that you can only heal under specific circumstances.

The self-healing mechanic scares me. The game already changed a lot lately to make it easier for solo players to prevail. I could totally see a skilled player becoming virtually unkillable with such a shotgun. It's somewhat okay for the zerk considering he has to put himself in danger more often than other perks (and its self-healing is fairly slow, clearly not enough to withstand a lot of punishment). If anything, I believe the ability should be nerf to last between 5 and 10 seconds, and only heal for a fraction of HP. Or it should be limited to melee attacks only (how you'd explain that is up to debate... maybe the shotgun gets jammed due to all the blood?)

And most of all, I believe it should still belong to the Support perk... I guess it's a weird choice considering we never had an HRG weapon for the same perk. But I'm with the side that thinks the Survivalist is just too good as of late. Giving him yet another broken weapon that boosts its survivability would be a mistake IMO (even if I know you're a strong advocate for the perk yourself)

Last edited:
    Reactions: gm130993 and Milan
    Upvote 0
    I don't really get the "blood-sucking" mechanic though... is it similar to the Vampire, where your next shot will be more powerful due to the amassed blood? Or is the blood you gathered tied to the "exposed" mechanic?
    That was just part of the description about primary fire, it doesn't suck blood, primary is just shotgun with power that exposes zeds.
    Only hungry blade collects blood after you kill zeds, and it heals you in simmilar fashion to berserker's vampire skill. I changed text a lil bit so hopefully no one will be confused now
    I also find the "exposed" mechanic to be sorta... counterintuitive? It sounds similar to the G36C's mechanic, but with extra steps. Maybe it could instead have very little penetration power (so you can only hit a single zed) but its armor would turn into dust? Kinda like a slug-based shotgun, since we've been asking for something like that for quite a while !
    It's not about armor, it's about penetration resistance, here is page from official wiki that describes penetration mechanic:

"If weapon has Penetration Power its bullet or projectile can pass through ZED's body as long as Penetration Power will be greater (greater, not equal) than ZED's Penetration Resistance. Once passed through ZED, Penetration Power of the weapon will be reduced by amount of the ZED's Penetration Resistance. As long as it is greater than Penetration Resistance of each next ZED it will continue to penetrate. Support's passive skill adds 0.2 points to the weapon's Penetration Power per level. All players have penetration resistance of 1.

With each next penetration, damage gets reduced by amount of the Penetration Power left compare to its base value. For example - Shotgun (Penetration Power = 2) penetrate a Clot (Penetration Resistance = 1). Penetration Power that remains is 2 - 1 = 1. Damage that will be done to the next Clot is 1 / 2 = 0.5 or 50% of the initial weapon damage. This means that penetration-related skills not just increase amount of the bodies weapon can penetrate but also decrease the damage reduction for each subsequent penetration kill."

Hunger shotgun would decrease zed's ability to resist penetration power, rendering other zeds behind him vulnerable to any weaponry that has penetration power, and hunger shotgun user gains damage bonus against any exposed zeds, it's calculated with each zed's penetration resistance value, so basically it will apply more bonus damage to weaker zeds and less to bigger threats.
    In other words, it's like expanding bullet effect
    It is not a medic weapon, and even if it was : it would be underwhelming that you can only heal under specific circumstances.
    It's not a medic weapon so yeah, it's situational, i described the exast scenario when this might be useful. Other than that it's fuctions like hemoclobber that you can't activate on players, you'll need to get close to zed and land all pellets, given that shotgun has increased spread.
    I believe the ability should be nerf to last between 5 and 10 seconds, and only heal for a fraction of HP. Or it should be limited to melee attacks only (how you'd explain that is up to debate... maybe the shotgun gets jammed due to all the blood?)
    Okay, nerf to 10 seconds, but that really depends on how long it will take to charge blood rune.
    Btw yeah vampirism is limited to melee only, and while blood rune is active.
    And most of all, I believe it should still belong to the Support perk... I guess it's a weird choice considering we never had an HRG weapon for the same perk. But I'm with the side that thinks the Survivalist is just too good as of late. Giving him yet another broken weapon that boosts its survivability would be a mistake IMO (even if I know you're a strong advocate for the perk yourself
    I dunno... maybe, weird perhaps, but maybe..

Last edited:
    Reactions: Aleflippy
    Upvote 0

Ok, I'm somewhat reassured. The weapon does sound less broken than I thought it would be.

I stand my ground of the fact its healing capability is unnecessary, considering it's not a medic weapon. And I also believe that making the Survivalist even tankier is also a mistake. But such a shotgun for the Support? Yeah, that'd be neat ! Especially considering he's fairly straightforward as a perk.

Reactions: Milan
    Upvote 0
    If you decide to make it a support shotgun, then bonus damage feature will be removed, because bonus will be far too high with his penetration, perhaps exposed mechanic will also be broken on support..
    Then I suppose one of the two abilities ("blood healing" or "exposed mechanic") have to go. Or be broken down into two different weapons altogether.

Reactions: Milan
    Upvote 0