• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Movie] Hunger Games the dumbed down rip-off

Fu. Svedberg

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Sweden
Am I the only one that is kind of upset that Hunger Games is a dumbed down, kiddyfied rip-off of Battle Royale?
I would go so far to say that Hunger Games has plagiarised a lot of things down to a level where it can not be "just coincidence".

What do you people think, am I being upset over nothing?

How many have even heard of Battle Royale (both the novel and the movie) before Hunger Games?

edited for spelling

I've seen the Battle Royale movie before I heard about The Hunger Games and at first I thought the latter was a remake of the former for the Twilight generation. Turns out that it has nothing directly to do with Battle Royale, but it's based on a shallow book for young adults instead, but all in all... seems my original impression was still about right.:p

I didn't like Battle Royale to begin with. I can't imagine liking The Hunger Games.

Upvote 0
the idea of making kids kill each other was not invented by Battle Royale- such ideas go back a long while and have been used by a variety of sources, as it is pretty easy to stumble upon independently (not that far from just having people kill each other for sport, which itself is massively well known).

Other than the idea of having kids kill each other (in this case, in very different settings, scenarios, and the like), exactly what is being stolen here?

Upvote 0
The Hunger Games is massively over-rated.

This^

I really don't know how much Battle Royale influenced hunger games but like timur said the idea has been around for a long time.

The premise is cool, and I would love to see what can be done with it, but I personally just don't like the books or the movies, I tried reading them but couldn't get into it. The narrative was too simple and the characters got on my nerves. The books are intended for a younger audience though so that's probably a large part of it.

Upvote 0
9qQKz.png

Upvote 0
Its a crap movie..

40% of the movie is dull introduction trying to get you to understand a totaliar society that could not possible work at all. (jus the idea that all your youth is training to become practically geurilla fighters) and 40% is just main char running around in generic forest(gods this part was boring).. 5% action.. 5% sobbing..

Its a dull overhyped movie almost as bad twilight.. Just made for the fangirls of the book..

Upvote 0
I thought it was that only the contestants are given training while in high-security captivity, and those that survive are very few and all under strict control by the government, often simply wasting away on government paychecks while suffering from mental illness and/or a paranoia of what the government might do.

Well, that is how it was explained in the books, which went into pretty great detail on how the whole system works. Conceptually, pretty good (not flawless, but certainly decent). Writing style wasn't much to my preference, but I wanted to see how it turned out, so I went through all three books. Overrated, yes, but the critics tend to be over-harsh and factually incorrect (there are problems with it, but not the fallacious ones that seem to be floating around quite a lot recently)

Upvote 0