• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HTC Vive vs. Oculus Rift vs. PSVR

Birdie

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 26, 2016
Hey dudes,

I've been getting excited about the latest VR revolution for a while now. I remember it happening the first time and so I really hope it's going to work. Some of the software I've seen for it has been awesome and given how many people are getting behind it, I think it stands a much better chance.. It might just work this time around. I think people love how realistic it feels and I think there are going to be some great projects for it - VR Killing Floor anyone ;)

big-3-compared.jpg

I've been comparing the different VR glasses for sale and have researched them quite a bit but still can't choose between the headsets. The Vive has a more immersive experience with the controllers that are already available but Oculus will release theirs soon and the kit is a bit cheaper. The PSVR is the least advanced and cheapest plus I won't need a PC upgrade. Games are obviously super-important, but it's tricky to choose between the line-ups right now.

For those into VR, which would you pick?

Last edited:
As it happens, me and my brothers own all three VR systems. So here's a quick rundown of the pros and cons:

PSVR, owned by my younger brother:
+ easy to set up
+ lowest cost of entry
+ polished, curated VR games that generally play nicely and perform adequately
+ least noticable "screen door" effect (caused by individual pixel outlines becoming visible due to the magnification)
+ comfortable to wear with glasses
+ looks nice, is light and is easiest to adjust and wear
- blurry image compared to the other HMDs
- smaller field of view than the others
- motion tracking only works when facing the TV (or rather, the playstation camera)
- tiny play area suited only for seated and standing gameplay, no roomscale

Oculus Rift, owned by my older brother:
+ crisp image for an HMD
+ precise headtracking
+ great straps that distribute the weight evenly on the head
+ best lenses of the three (all headsets turn blurry when you move your eyes too much, the area that's in focus is largest on the Rift)
+ curated marketplace with generally well optimised games
- no motion tracking out of the box, so strictly for seated experiences
- buying Oculus Touch raises the price to Vive levels
- needs quite a fast processor and gpu to run properly.
- screen is darker and offers less contrast than the Vive.
- Oculus tries to fragment the market with excliusive and timed exclusive games.
- impossible to wear with glasses

HTC Vive, owned by myself
+ Roomscale motion tracking
+ best brightness and contrast
+ great steam Integration
+ bearable to wear with glasses
- most expensive out of the box
- it needs a lot of free space
- no curation, so loads of crappy games
- as hardware hungry as the Rift, if not more so.
- worst lenses (only a small in focus area, and noticable fresnell rings on high contrast images)
- worst straps that are a hassle to adjust for multiple users when showcasing
- most noticable screen door effect.

So what's my verdict? Well, you might interpret that as me justifying my purchase, but Vive's roomscale is so good that it outweighs alle the other cons. Playing on anything other feels constrictive and locked in. Also, roomscale games tend to not induce motion sickness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Battle8111
Upvote 0