• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How would you feel about removing unlocks and character upgrades?

Echo Black

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
I don't mean getting rid of personal stat tracking, that's a fun thing to have. But stuff like the % reductions in weapon sway, reload speed, stamina expenditure...I feel these are awful decisions for the kind of gameplay in RO2. To me it's completely at odds with the "feel" you get from the rest of the game. Not even COD has these kinds of permanent mechanical upgrades!

Unlocks would be a little tougher to argue against, especially in light of the fact some people paid more for the DDE just so they could have unlockable weapons on day 1, but I still feel they're silly. The game more than stands on its own gameplay, it doesn't need carrots-in-a-stick to keep people playing. I guess since player progression worked so well in Killing Floor, TWI felt every next game of theirs would benefit from having it. You don't need to scrap the unlockable stuff (scopes for some of the weapons, bayonets, etc.), just have another system in place, or have the player straight up be able to select their loadout.

Thoughts? I'd say the chances of TWI even considering this are pretty slim, they're understandable stubborn about their vision for RO2 (I'd be too), but maybe if enough people voiced their opinions...I don't know how feasible having a server without these things is, but for example, we only have two servers in my country right now, and they're obviously shooting to become ranked. So they don't go too wild with the server settings. I don't even know if you can lock players out of their character progression upgrades server-side...

---

Last edited:
The nice thing about Tripwire is they're willing to let people tweak the game settings to the degree they desire.

It's when people suggest that they should throw away 6 months of work, and that NO ONE should be able to enjoy it, is where I get annoyed. If they want their bland servers with no mechanics, that's cool. That doesn't mean it should simply be taken out of the game for everyone.

Upvote 0
Mutators, mutators, and mutators. It was the same story in KF. Some people acted like a level up and unlock scheme were the 2nd and 3rd plagues, because "Oh, original Killing Floor didn't have it. I hate it!"

Those people are now rarely heard from.

These things aren't impossible or forbidden, they just take time to develop. And when they have a game to fix, setting up special settings for a minority of players isn't their first priority.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you seen the series Band of Brothers? This upgrade system is completely logical to me. You know the episode when all the raw recruits arrive to reinforce Easy in Bastogne? The veterans look all dirty, worn out and battle hardened. They are now completely one with their weapons, have figured out every little trick which improves their combat effectivness, have become ruthless and deadly accurate killers. This is all perfectly easy to connect with RO2 honor system. As you play, your character sees more and more combat, his honor is growing and he is gradually becoming exactly the soldier I described a few lines above.

To me, this is just awesome.

Upvote 0
I like the character progression as long as it's not absurdly huge.

But I don't know when gun level caps at so it may get absurdly huge. By level 40 with a particular gun you will be approximately 20% better with it, and that's borderline broken (if not completely broken) so if gun level cap is like 50+ I wouldn't mind seeing it toned down a bit.

Upvote 0