• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How will heavy MG work? Portable tripod?

For those realism heads like myself: There is a mod planned yet to be announced with the main goal of 'extending' realism. In this mod it is planned to create an MG Assistant class and the ability to disassemble the tripod MG and transport it. That is one man carries the tripod and the other the MG, among other details still unconfirmed.

Reactions: Alvin Fuchs
Upvote 0
For those realism heads like myself: There is a mod planned yet to be announced with the main goal of 'extending' realism. In this mod it is planned to create an MG Assistant class and the ability to disassemble the tripod MG and transport it. That is one man carries the tripod and the other the MG, among other details still unconfirmed.
Perhaps Mr. Tripod carrier hold ammunation, in my view I would love to see a team of 2 or 3 people on 1 gun, but you can do it solo, just there would be huge penalties. (examples: Slow as heck, suppression isn't as good as small arms MG, reload is a killer, and you get fatigued easier) So in saying all of this, is that when an MG team is fully crewed/manned it is a devistating weapon, so soloing is out of the question.

Upvote 0
actually in WWIIO:BE you are equipped with a shovel and you can dig a foxhole in 30 seconds or something like that , it's a neat feature but not used very often. You carry an ammo box as well to resupply nearby crews.

But since ROHOS takes place almost exclusively in urban environments, digging a fox hole doesn't seem practical or logical since the majority of the engagements were done room by room or from building to building.

Still, if a mod like darkest hour arrives, foxhole digging might stand a chance ;)

Upvote 0
If TW already decided that the MG is just stationary, they wont include a carrier for the tripod.
But we can hope that they let us
at least select from a few different locations where it is deployed.
(maybe choice of the SL?)

Sounds like a good idea, i'd prefer that over the same stationary location all the same which eventually will make the MG useless when people get to know the game.

Upvote 0
That is one man carries the tripod and the other the MG, among other details still unconfirmed.

That's pretty much how it is in ARMA for HMG and mortars. Any one can carry the tripod, so you can either drop it off for the gunner and stay to help defend him or go on your way. A single person can move it but only one piece at a time after disassembling it.

I think it's a pretty simple solution.

I've also played a COD mod where a single person could move a mounted MG, but you could only move at a slow walk. Not very realistic in itself, but it had the desired effect of making moving it a very deliberate operation. You definitely couldn't do it while under fire, only in territory your side controlled.

Upvote 0
I understand making it stationary if the engine didn't allow it, but the Lafette mounted 34 was used extensively in the attack as well. Disabling movement because "a few could ruin it for many in pub play" is a horrible loss. Thank goodness for Ostheim's planned mod.

Since when, I've never heard of that feature, i haven't played in years, but I still kind of keep up with the updates they do

I played the trial (that's it, not worth 15 dollars a month) a week ago, and you can most definitely construct firing positions. Note they're not actual foxholes, but small semi-circle earthen embankments with a forward firing gap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I understand making it stationary if the engine didn't allow it, but the Lafette mounted 34 was used extensively in the attack as well. Disabling movement because "a few could ruin it for many in pub play" is a horrible loss. Thank goodness for Ostheim's planned mod.

I played the trial (that's it, not worth 15 dollars a month) a week ago, and you can most definitely construct firing positions. Note they're not actual foxholes, but small semi-circle earthen embankments with a forward firing gap.

I wanted to play the game, but I never got past the graphics. And it seemed unbelievable that the servers would be full enough to replicate the long front warfare.

Reactions: Unterscharfuhrer
Upvote 0
I wanted to play the game, but I never got past the graphics. And it seemed unbelievable that the servers would be full enough to replicate the long front warfare.

Their isn't a constant battle along the front.

At most their are 5 towns being fought over at once.

City fighting tends to draw almost all the players though as they are large and important.

Orders are issued to attack a specific town, players load into that area at bases and make their way to that town. The defending team gets a warning and players spawn in that town to protect it.

Upvote 0
First of all, why would it be boring to load an MG?

It wasn't boring when you could call in artillery and auto turrets, while essentially it is the same principle, only the auto turret would be a human player instead of AI.
And it could be fun to guide the 'auto-turret' to the target yourself by spotting, which would be the carriers task.

So at least some aspects are fun, only because the actual gunner might be streaking kills it should not be fun? In RTS games you also don't fire a single shot, it is still fun.

As some1 said before, it's like the tank driver. Very important but not everyone wants to do it.

So I am all in for this option in a mod, since I think the game is in a too late state to alter it (although I cannot be sure) and it could be added after release since it does not really affect the gameplay of the game.

Also is WWIIO still active? Sounds pretty awesome to me:)

Upvote 0
The difference is umm kinda significant , if your gonna be like that you could just as well implement anything and dont give a **** about the "gameplay vs fun" concept.

Make someone a mechanic and make him wash tanks... or work at a factory and produce ammo, after all its a part of the the whole war machine isnt it?..

Krator nailed it in his earlier post, you are blowing this out of proportion by saying its like working in a factory. It is exactly like team tanking, the tripod carrier would not be mandatory ( MG would still have tripod ), but the MGer would be deadlier with a tripod. Just like a team tank is deadlier than a 1 man tank, and again its a case where you can play with a team, or alone.

Also the tripod carrier would have a rifle and some extra belts for the MG, and would probably share kill points with his MG when within a radius of the MG. so your basically a rifleman who can help the MG gunner, and get an arseload of kills for doing so. Yeah, getting arseloads of kills is something no ROOST player would be interested in, never mind those crummy cod players, they would never want kills.... That is, completely forgetting the immersion and fun of teamwork, yeah .. FK that stuff too...

( Sorry yes I'm blowing it out of proportion the other way, but I think you get the idea. )

EDIT ADD:

Just want to agree with a few later posts that stationary MG's tend to either encourage camping, or not get used due to their being to the enemies before hand. ( who then either avoid or grenade it from a safe area )

Last edited:
Upvote 0