• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How will heavy MG work? Portable tripod?

If the tripod MG turns out to be stationary, I would hope that the SL can at least choose its placement before each round. And if that isn't an included feature, I should like to see the tripod in different spots for each round (maybe 4-5 preset locations set by the mapper, then chosen at random before the round)

If the tripod MG ends up being in the same exact spot every time, then its usefullness is severely negated. It will be far too easy for the enemy to just snipe the gunner or avoid its field of fire altogether if the gunner has to man the gun at the same window or sandbag wall every round.

Reactions: Colt .45 killer
Upvote 0
I still think the way that AfterHourz randomized the locations of AT guns can apply satisfactorily for heavy mgs.

Randomized guns are a big issue for competitive gaming though. As in ahz maps some teams could simply end up with less stationary guns or at bad emplacings.

Personally I hope that random nity is minimized, but that different game play experiences flow out different possibilities in how to attack. Like for instance a squadleader selecting a spawn location.

Upvote 0
How about in addition to perma-mounted MGs there are tripods without Mgs in them so a machingunner has the option of attaching his MG. The tripod is only good for the location it is in, but the gunner is free to dismount his mg if he needs to fall back to the next point. It could work similarly to deploying the bi-pod, only with a wider range of movement.

Benefits would be a more stable firing platform, and the drawback would be presenting a bigger target that simply deploying on sandbags

Last edited:
Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
...playing almost exclusivly on servers hosted by clans ;)

Still, even for public, random events are simply annoying.

I wholeheartedly disagree. It forces players to overcome and adapt, just as if the opposing team is using a different strategy or took a different route to the objective. How is it any different than an opposing team setting up an mg in a different window than expected (other than the mg with the tripod being more deadly)?

Personally, I think randomizing placement (presets by the mapper of course) helps keep the map from getting stale :p

Upvote 0
That sounds good, but should there still be mounted MG's in very specific locations? For example all but one of the tripods are random, and the one that doesn't move is in a position the level designers deemed the most strategic.

I like the idea of randomized stationary weapons, but I don't know exactly how they work as is, are there ever times that they are spawned in locations where they are useless or less than desirable?

How about in the pre-game warmup time, the commander can choose which mounted MG's to enable, it wouldn't be the same every time, but allow for them to be more strategic than simply random.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In one of the podcast it was mentioned that heavy MGs would spawn randomly at each round start. For example a map may have 2 heavy MGs but 5 possible locations. Players will not know where the MGs will be until the round starts.

I think the commander should be given the option of selecting spawn locations and over-ruling the randomness before the round starts if he wished.

Question for devs: Will the heavy MG locations be displayed on the map?

Upvote 0
what about (slow) moving MGs that would require real teamwork
but would be possible with the new mg look around system
and a unique feature thats for sure ;)

mg42_bello_198.jpg

weapon_mg42_15.jpg

Upvote 0