• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code How/Where is the SirenScream being called & How to code it into a specimen?

StarArk99

Aug 25, 2012
How exactly is the Siren's Scream being called? I've looked at the Sirens Code and the SirenScream code, and still couldn't find anything. I honestly think it's called in the animation itself, but since I got my coding knowledge from a long walk in the KFMod Folder, I'm not really sure...

Can anyone help me with this please, as I'd like to make some pretty cool specimens and a cool weapon, including the ones below:

The Blind: Emits a scream that blinds players but doesn't hurt them. (So far a failure to to untraceable siren related files; Described Above.)

The Yellpound: Can hurt players by screaming from a distance, but can also rage. (From my coding experience, I produced a Yellpound that hurts by screaming, BUT it didn't rage at all and only attack when its personally space is invaded.)

The Replicator: A crawler that replicates itself, and if left unchecked, can reck havok with it's numbers (I can't get it to spawn in precise intervals, and it's numbers can cause the game to lag, if not crash.)

I'm no noob to coding, but I'm no Pro either, and I only ask for help when I really need it or if I'm curious about something.

I'd greatly appreciate any help I can get! Thanks! :cool:

You are going to love me :D

You are going to love me :D

You were very right about it being coded in the animations.

I did some reading and found something about animation notifications. More info about animation notifications here: http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/AnimNotifies.html (Note: This is about the Unreal Engine 3, but it's close enough)

So, in your animations browser for KF SDK, you should see this:

siren_notifies.png

(For those of you lurking the forums and can't see the screenshot, open up the Animations Browser in KFSDK and click on the "Notify" tab that's right of the mesh viewer.)

Hope this helps!

The post that tipped me off about notifies: A siren soundfile swap?

Upvote 0
Do you know how I could change the call location withing the ZombieSiren.uc file itself? Like setting the siren scream effect location from "ROEffects.SirenScream" to maybe "MyMut.SirenScream"? That way I can override its default scream effect with my own, and it actually working, instead of me changing it's effect and it not working.

I find the possibility of BIG problem if I go within the ROEffects folder and change the ROEffects.SirenScream to fit my needs, then if the mutator gets distributed to Online Servers and the Scream looks like a normal siren scream instead of a blinding scream, or even worst: getting a Version Mismatch somehow.

I honestly think the only way I can change the Scream itself is that if I was to make an ROEffects folder of my own and change it to meet my needs, but I'm thinking that would conflict with the Base ROEffects Folder and not take effect, or possibly screw up other peoples KF (Which would be a disaster...).

I don't have KFSDK (as I use a Mac to Code now, without the ability to compile anything (As Bootcamp and other won't work for me) and I don't have access to Animation Creating programs (So make a custom copy of the Siren Scream animation and change the scream effects location).

But I'll see what I can do and I'll check up on the thread periodically for more info while searching TWI Threads. Thanks for the Pic and info, as I see we are both making Progress!

Upvote 0
Do you know how I could change the call location withing the ZombieSiren.uc file itself? Like setting the siren scream effect location from "ROEffects.SirenScream" to maybe "MyMut.SirenScream"? That way I can override its default scream effect with my own, and it actually working, instead of me changing it's effect and it not working.

I find the possibility of BIG problem if I go within the ROEffects folder and change the ROEffects.SirenScream to fit my needs, then if the mutator gets distributed to Online Servers and the Scream looks like a normal siren scream instead of a blinding scream, or even worst: getting a Version Mismatch somehow.

I honestly think the only way I can change the Scream itself is that if I was to make an ROEffects folder of my own and change it to meet my needs, but I'm thinking that would conflict with the Base ROEffects Folder and not take effect, or possibly screw up other peoples KF (Which would be a disaster...).

I think what was suggested in that one post was to use KF SDK to export the siren animations, reimport them, edit the notifies, and then save them as a unique .ukx. That way you could just extend from the ZombieSiren.uc and use the animations with the modded notifies.

I don't have KFSDK (as I use a Mac to Code now, without the ability to compile anything (As Bootcamp and other won't work for me) and I don't have access to Animation Creating programs (So make a custom copy of the Siren Scream animation and change the scream effects location).

Have you tried this: Killing Floor SDK on the Mac?

I'm not sure if that thread is up to date, but it's worth a shot. It's confirmed to get UCC working but untested for SDK. Also go here to get Wine, which lets you run PC programs on Mac OS's: http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwine/

I'm not familiar with Mac's (and I don't own one) so you'll have to just do your own search if you have questions about installing the programs.

So if I went to "defaultproperties" and typed " EffectClass='MyMut.SirenScream' " would that change the scream file location withing the Siren file, since I can't access KFSDK?

Unfortunately, I don't think it would, because I don't see EffectClass being defined in ZombieSiren.uc or any of its superclasses. (EffectClass is defined in ..\Engine\Classes\AnimNotify_Effect, but it's more troublesome and you would still have to edit the animation file regardless to get any subclass of AnimNotify_Effect to work with it.)

Once you get UCC running (with the help of Wine), you can write and compile a simple mutator and test this yourself if you have any doubts. I say go ahead and do that. I WOULD LOVE TO BE WRONG.

You can't learn anything interesting if you're always right.

In general, you shouldn't be afraid to compile something that you think has "wrong coding" - the worst it can do is not work (and I guess waste a bit of your time). Of course, always back up your "working scripts" before trying to compile anything with major changes.

If it turns out that KF SDK won't run on your OS, I guess I could have a quick look at the siren anim file and try to modify it accordingly. I just need to know what you plan to name the package and the name of the custom effect (ex. mymut.SirenBlindingScream). But keep in mind that I'm only doing this because I think the change would be relatively simple and require little sacrifice on my part.

If you are going to do all the things that you are planning to do in your most recent threads, KFSDK is a must.

Sorry if this response was too long. Best of luck dude.

Upvote 0
Also, this is a bit off topic, but it sounds like you are pretty new to modding KF (like me), so you have all these ambitious ideas of what you want to work on (also like me).

But for the sake of your sanity, I suggest limiting yourself to a few specific, easy projects, just to get a few quick and successful efforts under your belt. That way you won't lose momentum from being bogged down by 10 or so modding projects that will take a long time to bear fruit.

On the plus side, the forums will be less cluttered with fledgling mod ideas. (Can you imagine how this forum will look if everyone just made a new thread about every single mod idea they had? :p)

As an added benefit for you, concentrating your efforts in a few things will lead to fewer threads, but one with more replies. More replies means more help, which means greater chance of success. Generally in any online forum, new users who post several threads in a short period of time tend to have their threads ignored because they are labeled as "spammers", and I don't want that to happen to you.

If you are worried about forgetting all your awesome ideas, do what I do: create an easy-to-find text or word file to keep notes of all your ideas. Maybe organize them in order from easy to hardest? As you gain knowledge from working with mods, you'll find that the hard stuff becomes easier, and your goals more reachable.

Again, good luck!

Upvote 0
LOL. I'm kinda new to coding, and FluX helps me out a LOT and I appreciate the help the community gives me, and yeah, I see where you're coming from.

The name of the Mutator File should be: "FAACB"
The name of the Siren Scream Effect should be: "FAACB.BlindScream"

And yeah, I definitely don't want to be labeled a spammer!
Thanks for the help dude, I really appreciate it a lot and I promise it will be a blast when all of this is completed!

Oh, and I store a majority of my content on another site, as well as a backup on a flashdrive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haha no problem.

Okay, so I made the animation file. You can get it here. It is identical to the Siren Animation set that can be found in KF_Freaks_Trip.ukx with the exception that EffectClass for an anim notify effect belonging to the 'Siren_Scream' animation has been changed from 'ROEffects.SirenScream' to 'FAACB.BlindScream'

Just place the BlindScreamAnim.ukx in your ..\Animations folder.

As far as coding goes, this means that you just have to extend from ZombieSirenBase or ZombieSiren (not sure which one... that's for you to figure out :p) and replace references to the animations package 'KF_Freaks_Trip.Siren_Freak' with 'BlindScreamAnim.Siren_Freak' and it should work.

TL;DR

- Get the file.
- Extract it.
- Put BlindScreamAnim.ukx in the animations folder
- Write up your code. Keep in mind that the only change is that you are no longer using the KF_Freaks_Trip.ukx, but the BlindScreamAnim.ukx. You don't have to change anything else.
- Compile your code.
- Hope it works.

And add me on Steam. Sometimes it takes awhile for the mods to get around. My Steam name is the same as my forum name.

Upvote 0
wat. Are you just modifying the default property or are you extending a class off of it and then overriding the value?

As much as I would love to modify the default property, the sirens scream is called in the animation itself, but i honestly dont know (since I can't compile right now as I'm on Mac instead of PC and I can't find the KF.ncf file or something like that).

But any help could be of use to me!

Upvote 0
As much as I would love to modify the default property, the sirens scream is called in the animation itself, but i honestly dont know (since I can't compile right now as I'm on Mac instead of PC and I can't find the KF.ncf file or something like that).

But any help could be of use to me!

SpawnTwoShots is the damage part of the scream and is called through the anim. The effect is spawned in through the anim too so you'll probably need to make an extension off of the original class, change the anim file's 2nd notify in the scream anim and use your new ukx file in your extension.

A while back I setup an anim package and made a code extension to fix the screaming so the code could customize the scream sound... You'll be doing something similar to it but changing the effect spawner.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x939e8uvd2cc0lm/SkellsSirens.ukx[url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/x939e8uvd2cc0lm/SkellsSirens.ukx[/URL]

You can modify this package as much as you like for your intended effect, just make sure to rename it.

Upvote 0