• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound How to

Creating new packages is easy..

For sound.. just import a sound, and for the package name, specific the package you want to create (so in my case, I'd do something like "DraxDivisionAzul_voices")..

Then just Save your package..

Wallah.. new sound package. :]

As for sound forumats, I don't know the specifics, but here's the Unreal Wiki page on it with the details:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Importing_Sounds

Upvote 0
UED can really be a ***** at times ;)

make sure you are browsing the directory, and not just viewing all the files in the packages ("All" button)

makes sure that the file you are importing are not in a folder, or subfolder with spaces in them..
correct: c:\redorchestrasounds\awesomekar98sound\kar98_fire011.wav
incorrect c:\red orchestra sounds\awesome kar98 sound\kar98_fire011.wav

when i get time ill try to explain how the distant sound system is setup in the packages.. its not that hard, i think most of you can figure it out.

Upvote 0
yay its the sound guy!

all the sounds are named EXACTLY the same as the ones in your original packages with no spaces, too.

how do I make a new uax package, though?

There is no option to create a new one anywhere to be seen!!!!!!!

and also what do u mean about spaces?

u say the kar98 fire 11 wav has a spce but this is how it looks when viewing the inf_weapons uax package kar98_fire011 and when extracted, looks the same... kar98_fire011.wav

So what do u mean a soace should be in there?????????????????????????????

Also why does so many of your packages have weird naming order like "filename"021, "filename"030, ect ect instead of "filename"1, "filename"2, or a,b,c,d ect ect????????

and also why do some of the sounds have a * next to them? These sounds play in the editor ut when I extract them they are empty and do not work.

Look heres 3 of them...

untitled2ns1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
here is the sounds I want in the game...

fddf2gg.jpg

It's all arty sounds named EXACTLY like the ones in your original artillary package.

It's basically a mirror image of the original artillary.uax except some of the sounds are different.

I cannot get these into a new uax packet atall.

plz plz plz tell me how.

Upvote 0
d4v said:
here is the sounds I want in the game...

fddf2gg.jpg

It's all arty sounds named EXACTLY like the ones in your original artillary package.

It's basically a mirror image of the original artillary.uax except some of the sounds are different.

I cannot get these into a new uax packet atall.

plz plz plz tell me how.
From looking at what Xancerman said, you should start moving the sound files into a folder that has NO SPACES in it's name like this:

(EXAMPLE - you can name your folders anything as long as it doesnt have spaces)
C:\redorchestrasounds\awesomekar98sound\kar98_fire 011.wav or
C:\redorchestra_sounds\awesome_kar98_sound\kar98_fire 011.wav

Your sound folder already has spaces in it ('arty pack' should be 'arty_pack' or 'artypack') and it is located on 'C:\ Documents and Settings..' which also has spaces in it :)

Move the arty_pack away from your desktop into a proper file structure on your hard drive like the examples above.

Upvote 0
ohhh so thats what he meany, thanks for telling me:)

EDIT: Oh fukin brilliant, its working,!!

EDIT: got a problem when I import some of the sounds, I get an error...

Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2012 MHz with 767MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900ZT (8421)

History: UObject::StaticAllocateObject <- (Sound explo02) <- USoundFactory::FactoryCreateBinary <- UFactory::StaticImportObject <- UEditorEngine::SafeExec <- (NEW SOUND FILE=C:\artillary\explosions\explo02.wav PACKAGE=Artillery.explosions NAME=explo02) <- UEditorEngine::SafeExec <- (AUDIO IMPORT FILE="C:\artillary\explosions\explo02.wav" NAME="explo02" PACKAGE="Artillery" GROUP="explosions") <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (AUDIO IMPORT FILE="C:\artillary\explosions\explo02.wav" NAME="explo02" PACKAGE).. <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- WDlgImportSound::ImportFile <- WDlgImportSound::OnOk <- WButton::InterceptControlCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WDialog::DoModal <- WDlgImportSound::DoModal <- WBrowserSound::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WBrowserMaster::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop
Any ideas?

EDIT: I fixed this error. What I was doing was importing the first 3 files in the packs which are named as "filename01,02 & 03".

Apparently, the ones named in the double numbers like "filename11,21,31,41, going up in 10's are the ones you need to replace as these automaticly replace the first 3.

God knows why, lol.

EDIT: ***** the game is not reading the new files atall :(. Why is that? I replaced and saved the packages and put them in the sounds folder but their not being read.

The game is reading the defaults from the steam .gfc files or something. How do I force the engine to read the uax packages?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
desertfox384 said:
im having same problem. ive got everything working thus far, except INGAME the sound will not force over the stock sound.
yeah but it works in singleplayer IF you load ROOST up via the executable in the system folder and NOT through STEAM becuase STEAM will read from the gcf packages and not directly into the UE packages like in this case, the UAX ones.

Just test your custom sounds that way untill the gods to reveal to us the key to making our custom packs work in multiplaye r:confused:

Upvote 0
d4v said:
yeah but it works in singleplayer IF you load ROOST up via the executable in the system folder and NOT through STEAM becuase STEAM will read from the gcf packages and not directly into the UE packages like in this case, the UAX ones.

Just test your custom sounds that way untill the gods to reveal to us the key to making our custom packs work in multiplaye r:confused:
I'm no expert on this stuff but... To get it to work on MP steam, you'll probably have to do something like the guy in this thread says:

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101931&postcount=6

Basically it means you'll hae to make a mod/mutator that tells the game/server/clients to use your sounds instead of the default game sounds. That mutator should be installed on the server. If the server has redirect on, the mutator and the sound package will be downloaded when a player connects.

Complicatied stuff for which you'll probably need help. It's because the engine compares files to prevent cheating.

Upvote 0
ah yes the mutator, I should of known that.

i dont think i'll have a hard job getting my soundpack on the servers, it's bloody incredible!! :D

It will be out tomorrow.

EDIT: well i've done the sound pack and i'm uploading now for you all to try but i'll need help making a mutator to get it to work online so if anyone knows how, please help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0