• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How to rework the perk system if there was a KF3. (Pls read message if you don't understand option.)

How to rework the perk system if there was a KF3. (Pls read message if you don't understand option.)

• Skill Tree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Primary and Secondary skill tree or perk system. (remove survivalist.)

• Rework perks and maybe add more skills per tier or more tiers.

• Other / None of the Above

• Just Fix KF2

• Total voters

Demon Swords

Jun 2, 2019
P.S. I have never opened the general discussion tab so I didn't know there was a KF3 related post on top. I typed this entire thing in a work doc before deciding that suggestion and Ideas may not be the best place.

I was thinking about what justification would be required for making a KF3 and the main one would be a rework of the perk system. From KF1 to KF2 there was an introduction of many new zeds, bosses, weapons, maps, skins system, and a rework and increase in the number of perks. With the amount of weapons and zeds in KF2 it would be hard to add more without removing existing ones, so that can’t be the main purpose. Though new maps could be nice, we already have a bunch in KF2 so a whole new game worth isn’t necessary. The skins system is already about as good as it's going to get, so that can't be it either. So that just leaves the perk system. Hence the Title.

Below is a list of each unique perk system and a way I think they could be done for the KF series.

Glossary

Basics: Referring to the passive level based abilities you get from deciding your perk. For the alt perk systems below, keep in mind that generally basics could be adapted into the skills.

Skills: Refers to the active abilities the perks have access to.

Points (no equivalent in KF2): Generated by perk level to spend on using skills.

Skill Web
https://i.redd.it/532otw7vc8941.jpg

How it Works:
A skill web works by getting an amount of points that can be spent to buy any spot connected to start or previously bought spots. In some games, skill webs have some spots that either require more than one point to buy or have multiple tiers you can put into the point. Usually if a game has tiers then you cannot continue down the web without buying all of the tier (Ex: You can spend 1 point to get tier 1 for a small effect, but need to spend a second point to get to tier 2 for a larger effect and being able to buy more things..)

Work for KF series:
Perks would have it where each one has its own web. You would only be able to reach one or two ends. Since options are more free, the effects of skills would need to be balanced around how easy it is to reach that skill.and whether the skill is needed to buy more things or not. Currently each skill is balanced around the other skill in their tier. Would be ridiculously harder to balance and make each perk due to needing more total skills and way more build diversity. (You would get more total skills but most of them would be less impactful.)

Skill Tree (presume you read skill web)
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/diablo/images/4/4d/BarbarianCombatSkills.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110515041226

How it works:
A skill tree works similar to one side of a skill web, but goes top to bottom and are generally only three options across, thus being more limited in how complicated the connections can get.

Work for KF series:
Perks could have one tree with a variety of effects or multiple with each about different aspects of each perk. Multiple trees could be done through either allowing for cross tree point spending (which would effectively be just a different visual way of a skill web.) or allow you to only spend points in one tree.

Basics could be a spot on the tree not connected to anything that you can invest points into. In a multi tree system, basics could be a bonus based on how many points you put into certain trees.

A Primary and Secondary skill tree system. (remove survivalist.)

So instead of having a survivalist as a separate perk you would have the ability to put points into two perk's trees. Perk individuality would become much smaller in this system thus having each perk with multiple trees would make no sense. (if you wanted tank on your sharpshooter you would be able to invest in swat, if you want movespeed you can go for gunslinger, healing from Field medic, etc. Since you could grab the utility from any perk, each perk's utility would be more specific making multiple trees not work.) This would require a partial overhaul of experience, basics, and what is considered a "perk weapon." Most skills would need to specify which weapons they affect with any given effect either by type or saying the perk's name weapon. (instead of saying perk weapon, it could say commando weapons or assault weapons.) Anything that still says perk weapon would affect all weapons of either class.

A primary and secondary perk system would have one perk designated as the main one with the option of putting points into a secondary perk. In this system, points for skills would probably work off of the level of your primary perk. A certain number of points would be forced into the primary tree while the rest could go into either tree. To use another class's skills you must be a high enough level in that class to normally get it as your primary perk. Basics would work by either being based off of the level of your primary tree or how many points you put into each tree. Experience could work where it always goes to the primary class if using a weapon from either perk. Experience could also work by making it always go to the weapon's perks evenly distributed unless you are only one half of that weapon's two perks.

A system with no perks just skills.

There are countless ways to make a perkless system and this is just the only one I can think of right now.

Gain skills and level them: In this system instead of experience during the match you would gain a random skill based on your contribution after the match. The more you do and the higher the difficulty, the higher the chance for good skills. Each skill would have a level, a rarity, and a point cost. Each player would be allowed to use whatever skills they want that don't exceed a certain point cost. Excess points would be spent on small passives weaker than skills. Excess copies of skills would be turned into dust.You can increase the level of skills by doing certain actions during matches then spending enough dust. Higher level versions of skills would not cost more points for your loadout.

My Opinion:
I think that the skill web is a fun idea, but totally outclassed by the skill tree that is far simpler. I like the idea of the Primary and secondary skill tree idea and think it's the one most likely to be done out of these. My favorite is the perkless one. I think that the perk system is quite restrictive and a system around skills would allow for a crazy amount of creative builds while still allowing for quite the grind. I don't think they would do it though as it would not feel like a Killing floor game without perks. The KF games seem to be about teamwork through fulfilling certain roles and the perkless system would blur the lines tremendously.

A perkless system would be a hard pass for me. It's within the Killing Floor's DNA. And considering the game is not truly complex in its mechanics (not that it's a bad thing), I believe it would make it even less refined. Because don't underestimate people sticking their guns to what works and nothing else. And what fun would there be if everyone just picked the "best" skills all the time? I also believe you would have even less reasons to play with others. Sure, you may think that the game is forcing you to play within a certain team comp too. Or simply to force you to adopt a specific playstyle when choosing a perk... And I would say that it's part of the appeal of any video game. You have to put boundaries, try to come up with new challenges... while still allowing people to get creative. Hence why I believe that we should indeed expand on the skill system, but keep the perks as well. Even if we need to merge a few of them together if needed.

Because what you are suggesting is already somewhat found within quite a few ideas in KF2 : the HRG and crossperk system, but mostly the firebug and medic perks. They are weapons to deal with pretty much every and any situation. They went from having a role to having an "element" (fire vs "health" in a way). I believe it actually really hinders the natural symbiosis within perks and actually make people LESS creative, because every perk can handle whatever the game throws at him. It's becoming a tad too easy. Some veterans are even asking for an even harder difficulty than HoE precisely because of that.

Personally, I would rather keep the skill tree system. Maybe in a similar way to games like Borderlands do it. But even that would feel overly fancy. You could pretty much keep the same strategy as with KF2, but instead have three separate columns (rather than two, so you have more options... but also more difficulties to pick whichever skill you'd like !) AND increase the number of skills (let's say at least 21 for each perk, but 30 would be the best. But hey, that would also be a nightmare to come up with 300+ skills...)

Upvote 0