• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How to kill tanks with an AT rifle, a manual.

LugNut

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
Strategy: You are not an MG, you are a hunter and a sniper carrying few rounds, make them count. Every shot you take can be traced back to your position, tankers see a momentary position indicator showing where a shot came from, wait until you have a shot with a high probability of damage or a kill before letting loose. You also have a highly visible muzzle flash, wait until he's not looking in your direction when targeting him head on. I'll often make single sporadic probing shots looking for weakness and to make a tanker move if he isn't in a position I can get a kill from, once he takes a solid hit or two, he'll often move and usually to your advantage.

You can easily make the enemy's tanker's life frustrating, you can kill him from hiding and from long distance. 200-300m kills are common.

If you are stuck and can't find decent shots, harassing the tanker and taking out high value soft targets like enemy AT, MG or snipers is worthwhile. If you do your job right, you alone can counter an enemy tank and keep him close to his spawn, afraid and away from the action, freeing up your tank to wreak havoc. Unless the enemy AT has also read this guide....

Damage: Tanks have a cumulative health, and specific armor plates also have their own health. Hitting a vulnerable area in the same spot continues to weaken it until you get catastrophic penetration and a kill. If the tank has been taking a beating and it's cumulative health is low, sometimes you can hit it pretty much anywhere and it will blow. Damaging the treads or transmission will not lead to a kill, once damaged, it can't be damaged any further, but it will immobilize them and make for an easier kill. In general, the targets inside of all tanks you are trying to punch holes in and hit are the engine, and the ammo stores and personnel under the turret. Think of it as an egg in the middle of the tank you are tying to crack. (see attached pic) The front drive wheel on all tanks will take tread damage, you can't tell you're doing damage as you hit it, but you are.

How do you know if you are doing any damage?

A "thunk" and sparks indicate a shell shattering and in almost all cases except transmission and tread, doing no damage. "ThunkThunk" is a ricocheted shell hitting the tank twice. A loud "CLANG" and a flash is what you are after. This indicates penetration and where ever you just hit, hit it again and again.

Position: For almost all soft spots, ANGLE IS EVERYTHING. Being close is helpful, but once you're past @ 50m, distance is immaterial. You can easily kill tanks with one or just a handful of shots at 200-300m if the angle is right. Try to be at 90 degrees to your target for shots to the side. That means you should plan where you want to be laterally on the map and also vertically. Being high and at 90 degrees to sloped armor on a turret gives you a much better chance on penetrating it. The angle is critical, I often find that I can penetrate in one spot and not in another just a half meter over. Once you know the soft spots where you should be able to penetrate, take probing shots and reposition until you do.

Leading: Because of the disabled client side hit detection, moving targets are a challenge. I double my normal lead and manage OK, especially on tanks since they're big. Hitting running infantry is a crap shoot, but always fun to blow someone in half.

TLDR – Shoot the red & blue bits.

All these spots have been confirmed by me and others as repeatable in game. I plan on updating the images as new spots are found, so feel free to post them up and I'll edit them in.

A huge thanks to nymets1104 whose map TankGunnery made this all possible. Download it here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=103076&highlight=gunnery+range

Great videos:

General Sir Anthony CHM
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=104014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voigVFdXwKc

Desert Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv6bIanFJlo

Thanks also to Temesin

KaBoom!

Attachments

• 2015-03-24_00003.jpg
    2015-03-24_00003.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2015-01-27_00001.jpg
    2015-01-27_00001.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 0
  • panzeriv_03.jpg
    panzeriv_03.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
T-34

From front: Turret ring, especially the sides. You can often kill the commander on the right. Gunsight is low probability, but you can sometimes get a kill.

From elevation: Rear deck and vents. Back of the Turret from an elevated position because of the sloped armor.

Side positions as marked. Under the center of the turret and the engine are the best targets.

Red will kill the tank at any distance, in a clip or more maybe, but will easily kill it.
Green is track/transmission damage only.

Attachments

• T-34 Front 1a.jpg
    T-34 Front 1a.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 0
  • T-34 Rear 1a.jpg
    T-34 Rear 1a.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
  • T-34 Right 1a.jpg
    T-34 Right 1a.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0
  • T-34 Top 1a.jpg
    T-34 Top 1a.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
T-70

Top seams where the turret and barrel meet, only at very specific angles, @ 25 degrees.

The rear of the turret and turret ring. Rear vent.

Side positions as marked. Under the center of the turret and the engine are the best targets.

Red will kill the tank at any distance, in a clip or more maybe, but will easily kill it.

Attachments

• T-70 Front 1a.jpg
    T-70 Front 1a.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0
  • T-70 Rear 1a.jpg
    T-70 Rear 1a.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0
  • T-70 Left 1a.jpg
    T-70 Left 1a.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
  • T-70 Top 1a.jpg
    T-70 Top 1a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
PIV

From front: Lower glacis from almost any angle or elevation. At an angle, aim across the interior of the tank for the opposite side. Easy kill.

Seam under MG and Driver's window, shoot at an angle.

Rear of the turret and bustle. Lower section of rear end.

From elevation: Front seam of turret where the triangular plate meets the deck. Top front deck and top of turret, especially the hatches from steep angles, shooting down from the bridge on Barashka for example. Rear deck and vents from most elevations.

Side positions as marked. Under the center of the turret and the engine are the best targets. Side hatches and rear side of turret from elevation.

Blue will kill it in 1-3 shots at any distance.

Attachments

• PIV Rear 1a.jpg
    PIV Rear 1a.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PIV Top 1a.jpg
    PIV Top 1a.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PIV Right 1a.jpg
    PIV Right 1a.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PIV Left 1a.jpg
    PIV Left 1a.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PIV Front 1a.jpg
    PIV Front 1a.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
PIII
From front: Lower glacis from almost any angle. At an angle, aim across the interior of the tank for the opposite side. It's at a steeper angle than the P4 and takes more shots to penetrate.

Rear as marked, from almost any angle or elevation. It's like paper.

From elevation: Top front deck and top of turret, especially the hatches from steep angles, shooting down from the bridge on Barashka for example. Rear deck and vents from most elevations.

Side positions as marked. Under the center of the turret and the engine are the best targets. Easy kills, blue spots are one shot. Side hatches and rear side of turret from elevation.

Blue will kill it in 1-3 shots at any distance.

Attachments

• PIII Front 1a.jpg
    PIII Front 1a.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PIII Rear 1a.jpg
    PIII Rear 1a.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0
  • PIII Left 1a.jpg
    PIII Left 1a.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PIII Right 1a.jpg
    PIII Right 1a.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PIII Top 1a.jpg
    PIII Top 1a.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks to you, it's your map that started it all.

I think as more players become more skilled and knowledgable, tanks will have to manned by more people to survive. Keep moving while coaxial mgs hunt ATers. As it is now a single allied AT can eliminate the tank as a threat on more open maps like Pavlovs or FF. Get 3 or 4 guys at that level and tanks don't have a prayer. Axis or allied.

I'm a little worried, it might become a popular role... :p. I like joining a server with one empty slot and having it available.

Upvote 0
It would be hilarious if there was a mod to give the PTRS an MG42 firerate, and then have it replace bolt action rifles.

the devs left a debugging gun in the code (open a map in singleplayer ie the workshop tab and type atrdebug into the console) that shoots tank shells and has a huge magazine. Give everyone that gun instead :D

Attachments

• 2015-04-02_00002.jpg
    2015-04-02_00002.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2015-04-02_00005.jpg
    2015-04-02_00005.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0
  • 2015-04-02_00001.jpg
    2015-04-02_00001.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
What I'm seeing in game now is that the AT roles are going early and players are asking people to switch out. "Anybody want to switch? I know how to kill tanks" sort of a deal. And they do. I'm seeing far more quick kills than before.

I also hope this drives interest in more CA maps, Arad2 & Brashka among them.

Upvote 0
What I'm seeing in game now is that the AT roles are going early and players are asking people to switch out. "Anybody want to switch? I know how to kill tanks" sort of a deal. And they do. I'm seeing far more quick kills than before.

I also hope this drives interest in more CA maps, Arad2 & Brashka among them.

I couldn't even get the AT Role on Bridges yesterday, every death I tried to switch roles and the server wasn't even full!

Upvote 0