• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics How to kill Panther? Angled or frontal with t-34/85 and IS2...

Thamor

Oct 31, 2006
IS2 can kill panther frontally very easily, the hardest time to killing panther is when it's angled, your shots just bounce off. Where is the sweet spot on the panther in this new patch, you just can't kill that beast if you can't flank it.

I have tested shots on panther and I can't kill panther frontally from any range with t-34/85. The laughing matter is that I can now kill panther when it's angled, but if it's angled and hull down, I can't kill it. Frontally nothing but IS2 can kill panther, so it's very easy to just laugh in panther and keep frontal armour against any opponent but IS2, and if you spot IS2 then angle against that threat.

Panther should be fixed and that weak spot that was in panthers armour, between hull and gun turret should be implemented to panther. Historically allied noticed that it was the only place you could penetrate panther frontally. In the new patch, only IS2 can kill panther frontally, if someone can teach me how to shoot panther frontally with t-34/85, I am all ears...

But gamewise as it now is, germans have real advantage over russians. Tiger&Panther can just laugh at t34/85. IS2 with it's very slow reload takes 2-3 shots back for every 1 shot it shoots. Thank god that these duels happen only in Arad which is very weak tank map.

I don't understand why people whine about german tanks, Tiger and Panther are the best tanks in RO. In good use and knowing how to use them they are killing machines. The greatest of them is the Panther which is the king of tanks in RO.

But we need a fix in panther, as it could be frontally penetrated by t34/85, there is no weak spot now in frontal armour of panther or I just haven't found it. And before people flame this, ww2 tank crewmen learned the weak spots and always tried to aim there.

Fix panther or give russians the heavy weapons that were used to deal with these pesky cats. ISU-152 to the game or SU-100.

maybe you should drive a panther more often, myself being a panther freak i can tell you that it is far from being immortal.
it is true that when angled it can take some t34/85 hits, but only half bounces off and the others damage the tank at each hit.
i say it has a win chance of 3/5 against a t34/85, and only 1/3 against IS ( when both tanks are optimally angled)

but again, im a panther driver so it is in my interest not to give away its defaults :p

Upvote 0
with the new patch t34/85 cannot harm panther frontally, I have experimented with test map, that fire range map that somebody did, I couldn't harm panther frontally with 85mm, from 100-600m and I tried all with about 50+ shots fired in different locations. IS2 I destroyed with 1-2 shots frontally panther from 100-1000m...

I am talking with new patch, I can't destroy panther frontally, I dunno maybe I am cursed :). Love panther still, but I think it's the best tank there is. And against IS2 angled, it's 50% for both, not 1/3...you just have to learn where to shoot. And with panther u shoot 2 shots for 1 IS2 shot...

Upvote 0
Yeah dunno why but it's been the same way since the mod, t-34/85 couldn't kill the Panther from the front. In real life it could from 500meters. Should be fixed and this will allow more panthers and keeping with balance, instead of the 1-2 we see in maps now.

However I agree the ISU-152 and SU-100 and or 85 should be in the game and not the su-76. A SP that really is only good for killing infantry.

Upvote 0
You are correct su-76 is just a laugh compared to stug, stugIII can destroy any russian tank, frontally. YES even IS2, but su-76 cannot destroy frontally tiger or panther, which is correct. But in game balance, we should have either ISU-152 or su-100 with current tank penetrations. Or correct penetrations with panther and make it medium tank, what it really was, so a soft spot to panther in between gun turret and hull, where it really was vulnerable, hard to hit from over 600m, but possible. So people will use more angle which is correct in someways. Although still angling tank is very powerful :D

But my point in this thread is that I declare panther the King of the tanks in RO at the moment. Destroy anything and withstand fire from anything....enough said...

Upvote 0
I agree with seppdietr

I agree with seppdietr

Did this guy just buy the game? I've knock out Panthers without a second though - mayhaps I just go so fast all I have time for is USING THE FORCE. Of course usually I don't creep up on them WWI style - frontal attacks. I usually come at them from an ambush, or from racing around their flanks and up their rear tail pipe. I have certainly knocked out a many with a clown car and stolen German panzerfausts. I admit I really don't like wastin my tanks on tanks - I prefer using panzerfausts - if available - even when I am in a tank. The main WEAPON of tanks is their speed. If you don't use that you might as well have a horse drawn anti-tank-cannon. SO to me a tank is mainly a device for taking ground objectives (beginning with those little defended by the enemy). I do take out my share of enemy tanks with tank guns, but I find those "clang and Bang" battles to be little more than running out the clock.
I can just tell, that those who worry about what pixel to hit on the enemy tank are also the ones who capture the least ground in battle.

Upvote 0
Kartasiko before u make your own mind about things, and I knew somebody would think this way if I don't correct myself. I didn't mean that Panther is impossible or cannot be destroyed, but it's the best tank in RO at the moment.

And why I posted this question, was because panther could be historically penetrated frontally by 85mm, and it's possible even now, but 90% time you will lose to panther if u aren't driving IS2. :)

You cannot always ambush, you cannot always try flanking. So my point is what do you do in those situations and always isn't the best tactic to flee when you just have to push forward from the front.

And about taking ground/capping. I play clan matches, and most of my points is in learning in those situations how will you handle panther. Easiest answer is team work, but it's funny when 1 tank can cause 3 people to go against it, which leaves the german side with advantage elsewhere...

Only advantage the russians at the moment have is speed. Clown car ftw.

Their guns are weaker than the german counterparts. Every tank in german arsenal can knock IS2 frontally from 100m-1000m. PzIII after 700m with apcr ammo have more problems, but even it will destroy IS2 frontally from 1000m. The tanks aren't angled.

Compared this to russian, IS2 can knock anything, t34/85 can knock everything but panther frontally (And can knock panther frontally but you must pray to god that it founds a pixel where to penetrate) t34/76&Su-76 cannot penetrate panther&tiger frontally which is correct. T-60 well we all know what it can do and what it can't :)

My point is that you cannot always flank and ambush, you cannot rely on those tactics all the time. So the russians have the disadvantage in firepower, but have a slight edge in speed thanks to clown car & t34.

Okay enough explaining. The soviets need 1 tank more like IS2, most likely tripwire is making su-100 or ISU-152 to the russian side to counter panther and tiger. That would be fair for both sides. SU-152 wasn't historically made to counter tanks, it was supposed to be anti-infranty, anti-fortification assault gun, but because the 152mm gun had high speed velocity and massive ammo, it could be used very effectively against tiger and panther.

Upvote 0
yes, the panther is the best overall tank not because it has the "best" features. but because it has the best combination of "good" features: good speed, good reload time, good gun, good armor, fast turret traverse.

but when you say it cant be destroyed frontally by t34-85 i dont agree, when not angled it rarely survives more than 3 frontal hits. each non-bouncing frontal hit seriously damages the tank.
so the panther is the best tank, but only when used to it's best

Upvote 0
All angled tanks seem overpowerd for some reason (although i have no facts to back anything up). Wether it is just an angled front of a tank or the tank itself angled. It seems way too effective for my feeling. Instead of hiding behind cover etc. Tanks just angle out in the open :\. And thats actually more effective than being behind cover.

Upvote 0
seppdietr to survive taking 3 non-bouncing hits is very good thing. Every tank has ammo critical location, but you can't hit panthers from the front, because that spot the ammo always bounces.

But yes that was my point overall panther is the best, but many times have I seen it being the most survivable tank there is. But finding those non-bouncing spots on panther is really hard. The same spot that u fired last time will bounce the next time you try shooting there, so it's more like 4-6 shots that panther can take, if not lucky with the shots =)

Upvote 0
I've found that Aiming for the Turret works somewhat well. Your shots won't deflect off, but they won't cause much damage either. 2 T34's each aiming for the Turret will likely kill it, but 1 T34 will likely end up dead and the other heavily damaged.

I've read in another thread to use HE rather than AP on the front. I've only tried iit a few tiimes, but never long enough to bbe sure it makes much difference.

Upvote 0
I second the last post- Panthers often find themselves surrounded and in many cases oversome by repeated solid hits. The Panther is best at medium range, full front to the enemy (assuming a solo crew, often the case these days)- if you want to close with the enemy and dogfight, take a crewed PzIV or (if you're crazy brave) a crewed PzIII.

Bix and I were in a situation a few nights ago in a Panther and were faced with at least two T-34's and a KV to the front; while I was dealing with those a SU worked out flank and got hull-down and started pumping rounds into our side; we got the ones to the front but the SU was too well protected for me to get a decent shot on him before he took us down. Just goes to show that Panthers are far from invincible, but I agree they are quite a force- even on their own- to be reckoned with.

Upvote 0
yah rohm .. but you an me or 69 or karl stiner in teaming up in a panther means that atleast 5 - 25 russian tanks will be burning hulks before we are dead.. sometimes even morethen that..

It seems to me that this game got the Panther right but the Tiger is unrealistic and weak.

(To the devs: What do you want me to pay cash or something so I can post without being censored? Why was I even banned without warning to begin with? Was it my Merry Christmas sig? Are you atheists or something?
The only thing you are accomplishing with your immature behavior is driving away a potential buyer of any future games that your company might make)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
tigers armor is alittle overrated and nerfed. play a map like black day july to see the real power of the tiger tank, also its armor could be penetrated under 400 meters ish by the t34/85. if we had more realstic 3 km sight distance maps where the t34/85 would be trying to kill the tiger at that distance, then the tigers 88mm would be kicking ass and the armor would be rejecting alot more shells. however from what ive heard theres a bug ingame where the t34/85 will penetrate the tigers frontal armor ingame all the way up to 4km which is malarky.

Upvote 0
T3485 cannon shell.uc said:
PenetrationTable(0)=18
PenetrationTable(1)=18
PenetrationTable(2)=17
PenetrationTable(3)=17
PenetrationTable(4)=17
PenetrationTable(5)=16
PenetrationTable(6)=16
PenetrationTable(7)=15
PenetrationTable(8)=15
PenetrationTable(9)=14
PenetrationTable(10)=14

Realistically the T-34 85 could only the frontal part of the Tiger I at under 500m (at 90 degrees). Accorrding to the penetration data I retrived from the game the T-34-85 can kill the Tiger I even at 1000 meters (see above ) Infact as it is now it can penetrate a Tiger II frontally up to 800 meters if the Tiger II were in game that is.

Tigers armor is alittle overrated and nerfed. play a map like black day july to see the real power of the tiger tank, also its armor could be penetrated under 400 meters ish by the t34/85. if we had more realstic 3 km sight distance maps where the t34/85 would be trying to kill the tiger at that distance

The penetration data only goes up to 1000 meters for the game and the Tiger's armor is regularly penetrated by T-34 76's as well as Kv-1's and Su-76's which have a nasty tendency to damage your engine from the front (it can penetrate 100mm of armor go through the tank and still wreck the engine?) and disable ur tracks. The T-34-76 realistically could not penetrate the Tiger I's side armor at 200m the Kv-1s and Su-76 should have similar performance. Yet in game the Tiger I can be damaged and killed from the front by 76.2mm guns. The sides and rear of the Tiger can be penetrated at 1000m by the 76mm tanks.

Then the Tigers 88mm would be kicking ass and the armor would be rejecting alot more shells. .

The Tiger I's 88mm should be " Kicking a**" at any range! A T-34 (all variants) stands no chance of surviving an 88mm hit much less chance of the 88mm deflecting!

1 of many quotes said:
The 13.(Tiger) Kompanie, of Panzer Regiment Gro

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After buying this game around Christmas and tanking and then reading this thread I completely regret buying this game for the tanks because they seem messed up. The infantry is far better than DOD/COD/COD2 but the tanks???:(

(To the devs: What do you want me to pay cash or something so I can post without being censored? Why was I even banned without warning to begin with? Was it my Merry Christmas sig? Are you atheists or something?
The only thing you are accomplishing with your immature behavior is driving away a potential buyer of any future games that your company might make)

Last edited:
Upvote 0