• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server How to host a Killing Floor 2 Server

What is difficult really in what the wiki explains? What are you doing to fail to install it?

edit:

start steamcmd

in the steamcmd window type login anonymous press enter

wait for successful login, then type force_install_dir c:\KF2server\ press enter, it will install what you want (in the next step) in that forced install directory. you can also type force_install_dir .\KF2server\ if you want to install the server inside the steamcmd folder, in a subfolder called KF2server, but if you use the first with C:\KF2server\ it works too, it is as you want ( the .\ means from this folder)

now type app_update 232130 validate to install the server files in the folder you have chosed in previous step (remove validate if you just want to update an existing server, with no files verification).

when finished (you will notice the window is not updating, and a message will say "app successfully updated') type exit and press enter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My server is up, no problem... My problem is...

So, as the title states, my dedicated server is up and running. I do not keep it up though because I have an issue. The issue is not that people cannot join, they can join and my server shows up in the list. As I said, no problems... I can access the web admin interface, I'll say it again, no problems.

But, when trying to allow for my friend's to join my server and download custom maps I have in my map cycle they receive an error. I can see them (their IP's, and I've verified that the IP's are theirs) in the KF2 Server Log Console that runs in the background.

I have logs and screen caps of these instances for troubleshooting. But all I can do is follow the instructions set forth in the TW forums, these forums. Nothing helps, no matter what redirect I use they receive the error. I've even started the game using one of the vanilla maps such as Biotics Lab having one of the custom maps next in line in my map cycle. After our initial game and it's time to join download the custom map for the new game all of my friends receive an error and are kicked.

I, however, and left in the lobby hopelessly waiting for my friend's and fellow players to return. Instead, I receive chat messages from them saying that it didn't work again.

So what am I doing wrong? What am I missing? I know this can be done because people host Custom Map servers and they work every single time. If I do not have the map KF2 downloads it for me. Usually it just downloads it regardless of rather I have it already or not. (weird)

I posted a similar question in the "Dedicated Server Support" thread but no one has responded and I even sent a message to one of the admins and I think the OP of that thread...no response.

Christ! I just want to know how to allow my friends to download the custom maps I have setup.

Someone, help, please!!!!

Thank you,

PAinguIN

Attachments

• KF2 Dedicated - Custom Maps Fail Log.txt
    25.5 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Ive tried to do the server setup.
Follwoed 2 wikis
opened up ports
left firewall off
Prayed to satan

Nothing is working =[
I need a hand on how to do it: or an ETA on listen servers!!!

I can help you setup your server for basic use. Reply to this as soon as you see my response and we will figure out what's going on.

Regards,

PAinguIN

Upvote 0
i'm trying to host a server, and friends can join via the "open IP:pORT" in the console... but otherwise it doesn't show up in the server browser. server software is v1013. anyone know what might be up? CanYouSeeMe refuses a connection on ports 7777/27015 when i have the server up, but if i run a terraria server it can connect to those ports fine. but the fact that friends can join via the console tells me that my ports are fine.

Upvote 0
Hi Yoshiro.

Just an update to the wiki that was confusing when I first set up my server to host Steam workshop custom maps.

Section 7.4.1 Get Custom Maps to Show in Web Admin is still relevant for section 7.3 Setting up Steam Workshop for Servers. The statement "Depreciated by SteamWorkshop" in section 7.4 implies that all of the subsections are also depreciated while that is not the case at all.

So I suggest either move subsection 7.4.1 to subsection 7.3.1 or add a duplicate of subsection 7.4.1 as subsection 7.3.1 (to keep the depreciated information intact).

Upvote 0
Hello Trail. You are going to have problems with your server ports. The default port of 7777 needs 7778 as the "Peer Port" as found in KFEngine.ini. If you set server 1 to port 7777 and server 2 to 7779 you won't have any issues with tangled ports if you follow the 7777 as a base and the offset all the other ports as found here "https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forum/killing-floor-2/technical-support-ae/dedicated-server-support-ac/107747-how-to-host-a-killing-floor-2-server/page7" . Also remember to forward the ports in your router.

Upvote 0
PAINguin;n2069544 said:

So, as the title states, my dedicated server is up and running. I do not keep it up though because I have an issue. The issue is not that people cannot join, they can join and my server shows up in the list. As I said, no problems... I can access the web admin interface, I'll say it again, no problems.

But, when trying to allow for my friend's to join my server and download custom maps I have in my map cycle they receive an error. I can see them (their IP's, and I've verified that the IP's are theirs) in the KF2 Server Log Console that runs in the background.

I have logs and screen caps of these instances for troubleshooting. But all I can do is follow the instructions set forth in the TW forums, these forums. Nothing helps, no matter what redirect I use they receive the error. I've even started the game using one of the vanilla maps such as Biotics Lab having one of the custom maps next in line in my map cycle. After our initial game and it's time to join download the custom map for the new game all of my friends receive an error and are kicked.

I, however, and left in the lobby hopelessly waiting for my friend's and fellow players to return. Instead, I receive chat messages from them saying that it didn't work again.

So what am I doing wrong? What am I missing? I know this can be done because people host Custom Map servers and they work every single time. If I do not have the map KF2 downloads it for me. Usually it just downloads it regardless of rather I have it already or not. (weird)

I posted a similar question in the "Dedicated Server Support" thread but no one has responded and I even sent a message to one of the admins and I think the OP of that thread...no response.

Christ! I just want to know how to allow my friends to download the custom maps I have setup.

Someone, help, please!!!!

Thank you,

PAinguIN

Hi
I too had almost the same problem and I asked the question to an administrator just insist and you will have an answer
I thank you and do not worry

Upvote 0
I was testing some functions of the windows firewall and realized that when you slide the firewall in the game (kill floor) he can find the servers within the game, the permissions on the server server are blocked by the firewall and it appears at least it worked for me and I can play with other people.

Upvote 0