• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server How to host a Killing Floor 2 Server

Well, I had the server working for one night I was in there with friends .. now it's back to not showing up in LAN tab ingame plus friends can't see it in server browser.
I have the admin webpage working - that is to say can change stuff on the server.
In the cmd console, it says all the stuff you expect to see;
steam ID: long random numbers ( so I spose that means it is steam valid? )
I know all the steps off by heart and have 3 PCs and 2 different routers for double checking hardware anomalies.
I have a Port Checker program which tells me all ports are open.
I am not a giving up person, ( days working on what should be simple ) but this one really beats me .. It's a shame, such a neat game and public servers leave a bit to be desired, especially since in KF1 I had my own and it was huge fun.

Anyways, should anyone have any weird suggestions on what might be stopping me / others see it I would be all ears.

Upvote 0
You mean, you join your own server via IP?
Not in front of machine now so I can't test it, but in KF1 you could right click on someone else's server and enter IP, is that what your doing?

Also, I have set no password and no one has joined - well, I don't know if that means it's not joinable or visible but friends can't see it.

Upvote 0
Also a note, you can force some of this stuff with your server batch file instead of relying on editing ini files, example of my server batches:
start .\Binaries\win64\kfserver1 kf-bioticslab?adminpassword=xxxx -Port=7787 -QueryPort=27015 -WebAdminPort=8080
start .\Binaries\win64\kfserver2 kf-bioticslab?adminpassword=xxxx -Port=7788 -QueryPort=27016 -WebAdminPort=8081
Just a note if you are running multiple servers on one machine use "-ConfigSubDir=" to separate the configs for each server.

Example:
Code:
start .\Binaries\win64\kfserver kf-bioticslab?adminpassword=xxxx -Port=7787 -QueryPort=27015 -WebAdminPort=8080 -ConfigSubDir=kfserver1
start .\Binaries\win64\kfserver kf-bioticslab?adminpassword=xxxx -Port=7788 -QueryPort=27016 -WebAdminPort=8081 -ConfigSubDir=kfserver2

Upvote 0
You mean, you join your own server via IP?
Not in front of machine now so I can't test it, but in KF1 you could right click on someone else's server and enter IP, is that what your doing?

Also, I have set no password and no one has joined - well, I don't know if that means it's not joinable or visible but friends can't see it.
Yes, unfortuantely. I have multiple servers so I have them all written down somewhere and I just f3>open [ip_address].

If only I can favorite servers via IP address instead of finding it in the server browser, because some of my servers don't even show up in my history tab after I play on it.

Still need to figure things out :/

Upvote 0
Ok thanks for the F3 tip, didn't know about it.
Got all excited as it said "need to update" so I did.
Tried again but put the password back on and this time it said;
"this server needs a password"
but no follow on screen to put the password in.
So I can assume from that - that it is actually up.
I then took the password off and tried to get in but the
"need to update"
comes up again.

So back to the proverbial drawing board. :(

Upvote 0
If your servers are not showing up in the server browser, what ports do you use for all of them? There is maybe a port conflict with some of them. Alternatively you can set each ports, the game port, the webadmin port, and the query port in the command line.

Also I think you use a user and password for steamcmd and it fails to update: USE ANONYMOUS LOGIN for steamcmd to correctly update the server files. Check in your server Launch.log the server version which should be for now 1007

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Umm forgive me for higgnorance, but this is what I read and do;
7777/UDP, 20560/UDP, 27015/UDP and 8080/TCP for the port forwarding.
Also I use a port checker and it says ports are all open.

But when you say the command line, where exactly do you mean, webadmin? within KF2 game itself?

I do use the anonymous login .. oh bizarre, I just looked at the server in the cmd and it says I am using 1006 - after checking with app_update it did d/l a few files and it still says 1006?

But thanks for replying :)
I will keep beavering away till I get this!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The command line is the command line you start the server with. By default it is inside the BAT file called KF2Server.bat inside the server root folder, open it with Notepad for example (text editor)

For the ports I don't know if it is only UDP, try to open both UDP and TCP? Wiki is not clear so try to open both protocols.

http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?title=Dedicated_Server_(Killing_Floor_2)#Ports You have the default ports, and also the switches you can use in your command line

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If your server is still version 1006 it will not show up in server list of course. force a validation of files with steamcmd
Code:
app_update 232130 validate

You said in previous post that " 7777/UDP, 20560/UDP, 27015/UDP and 8080/TCP for the port forwarding." so this is why I said try to open and forward each port on TCP and UDP. But first things first, you have to own an updated server, version 1007
Code:
Log: KF2 VERSION 1007

Upvote 0
Oh sorry, that port forwarding info was just copy n paste, BOTH TCP and UDP are open - not only according to my port checking software, but the fact a few days ago the server WAS working people came in and we played for a night.

New day, and app_update downloads a very small amount.
I then do it again and it says;
"Success! App 232130 already up to date"
I then spark up the server and it says;
"Log KF2 Version 1006"
Something has a bee in it's bonnet, and it makes me wonder about redownloading the whole thing on a separate drive in an irrational desire to start completely fresh.
In fact I will do it and let ya know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is there a fix for config sub directories? I mean, adding "?ConfigSubDir=*text*" to the launch bat file causes the server to report an error "BugSplatRC resource DLL not found". I have installed the required UE3Redist so that's not the problem (someone suggested the error comes if it's not installed)

Upvote 0
Tried -configsubdir instead of ?configsubdir ?

someone posted that he runs multiple servers this way:

Code:
start .\Binaries\win64\kfserver kf-bioticslab?adminpassword=xxxx -Port=7787 -QueryPort=27015 -WebAdminPort=8080 -ConfigSubDir=kfserver1
start .\Binaries\win64\kfserver kf-bioticslab?adminpassword=xxxx -Port=7788 -QueryPort=27016 -WebAdminPort=8081 -ConfigSubDir=kfserver2

Upvote 0
Is there a fix for config sub directories? I mean, adding "?ConfigSubDir=*text*" to the launch bat file causes the server to report an error "BugSplatRC resource DLL not found". I have installed the required UE3Redist so that's not the problem (someone suggested the error comes if it's not installed)
You need to use "-ConfigSubDir=" not "?ConfigSubDir=".
This is how I launch multiple servers.
Code:
start .\Server\KF2\Binaries\Win64\KFServer.exe KF-BioticsLab?AdminName=XXX?AdminPassword=XXX -Port=7777 -QueryPort=27015 -WebAdminPort=8080 -ConfigSubDir="KF2Server #1"
start .\Server\KF2\Binaries\Win64\KFServer.exe KF-BioticsLab?AdminName=XXX?AdminPassword=XXX -Port=7779 -QueryPort=27016 -WebAdminPort=8081 -ConfigSubDir="KF2Server #2"

Upvote 0
You need to use "-ConfigSubDir=" not "?ConfigSubDir=".
This is how I launch multiple servers.
Code:
start .\Server\KF2\Binaries\Win64\KFServer.exe KF-BioticsLab?AdminName=XXX?AdminPassword=XXX -Port=7777 -QueryPort=27015 -WebAdminPort=8080 -ConfigSubDir="KF2Server #1"
start .\Server\KF2\Binaries\Win64\KFServer.exe KF-BioticsLab?AdminName=XXX?AdminPassword=XXX -Port=7779 -QueryPort=27016 -WebAdminPort=8081 -ConfigSubDir="KF2Server #2"
Thanks. I tried both "-ConfigSubDir=" and "?ConfigSubDir=" but they didn't work. But your answer still solved my problem. Looks like ConfigSubDir command expects " markers around the folder name, even if it's just one word without spaces. I had -ConfigSubDir=KF2hard (didn't work) and -ConfigSubDir="KF2hard" fixed the problem :D

Upvote 0
Is there really no other way to host a passworded server that's not so complicated? I tried doing the steam cmd thingy, I managed to download the server files (I think) but they just go to a folder called "Program" instead of inside the SteamCMD folder in my Program Files.

I also tried using the "start .\Binaries\win64\kfserver kf-bioticslab" command once I did all that but it says that "start" isn't a recognized command.

Also, anything with the . before the directory, am I supposed to put something there?

I wish it were as simple as creating a temp server like KF1 instead of this which confuses the crap out of me.

Upvote 0