• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics how to get the most kills with a bolt action

illinifan

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2007
seeing as i wont be playing much hoes for the next few months, i thought that i might try sharing some of my wisdom for certain maps. im not all that good on commisars or redoctober so i wont have that here. and ive only played pavlovs like 5 times so im not sure what the main strategy for kills on that map is. honestly, for most of this, you can follow the same steps with a semi auto, but its much more satisfying with a bolt. and certain bayoneting areas will be harder with a semi auto if you havent unlocked the bayonet for the semi auto rifles.

barracks
i almost always play as german here. basically, get into your entrance of C, and stay on the left-hand side of the door. you should get most of your kills by just leaning right and aiming down the hallway. 75% of my kills on this map come from doing just that. if possible, get to the 2nd floor and start shooting down their side. rinse and repeat

apartments
for the russians, go far right get by the rightmost wall(by the building linking the bridgehead to langermarket). just shoot into the area, and you'll be protected from the german windows. however you wont be in the capzone here. after your team caps the first 2 caps, go all the way left and work your way down that street to the left of command center. again, use a lot of leaning here by cover. once you get by the burned out tank, toss some nades over their side, and sprint to the restaurant that overlooks langermarket. kills galore here. rinse and repeat once you die.

fallenfighters
as a german, just try fighting down the righthand side of the map. work your way to the final russian capzone. as you get into this building(which will take alot of tries) you'll get a fair amount of kills. once(this is very hard tbh) you get in the building, its fairly easy. clear it out and you can rack up kills shooting the russians from behind

and my favorite, spartanovka
for the germans, always spawn on the leftmost spawn. its hard to get kills while capping the gullies so just toss nades over to their side. once you cap gullies, run all the way left by the trench and the tank. move towards the 2nd gully and take russians out as you see them. once you get into the capzone, take a left and be by the corner wall-by the bush. just sitting there, you can get a lot of russians. you'll most likely die from a friendly nade here, but not before you get a ton of kills.
after the church, keep spawning on the leftmost spawn(unless they have a very good riflemen covering, then go to the center spawn and run to the right flank). from the left, work your way down the hills and get behind the russians, but in the capzones. use peripheral vision here to see where the russians are, and take them down. same thing works for the right side, except you have to run from the spawn all the way right.
for the final cap, go far left or far right, take guys out, and run in the building. wreck havoc with your bayonet in the top floor of the final cap

as a russian
in the very beginning, go left, and toss nades under the bridge where the germans tend to congregate. after they cap the gullies, try getting to the righthand side of the gullies, right by the church wall. you should get a good amount of kills here of germans running to the wall before you get caught. once they cap church, try being a proactive defender. after you spawn, go as left as possible, and get the germans going left as you do so. work your way up to the church wall, and get in the left side entrance. you can either peek thru the windows and shoot germans, or go for a bayonet run. however, after they cap the first housing block, the best way to get kills is basically use cover, move up, USE PERIPHERAL VISION(which is a must whenever you play with the way this is built in the game), and get short-mid range kills. try approaching enemies from the side, in general
if your team is really getting overun, stay in the capzones and take potshots. you wont get as many kills here

grain elevator
germans-first cap i usually dont get any kills. 2nd cap, you need to actually work with some players by going left and getting in the grain elevator. get to the 2nd floor, and get in that passageway thing from cap B to the 2nd floor. once your in there, shoot russians from the windows.its hard to get here, and youll probably die alot, but once you do its easy to get kills. however, it might be hard to position yourself since you'll most likely be crouched and the windows are in awk positions. by clearing out this area it should be easier for the germans to move up and cap. once you get in the grain elevator, get to the 2nd floor, and flank them by taking those other stairs down. this is the only time where i cheat and pick up an smg. if your team caps the ground floor, tbh, its hard to get kills with a rifle after since everything is extremely close quarters

sorry for the lack of good grammar. and to do this you do have to be semi competent at aiming a bolt, especially at closeish quarters

Last edited:
Or: go to the objectives with your team. Learn to feel if you can advance or if you should try to hold the current point.

Kills are good, but not the most important.

+1 to this.
Getting kills is not the objective of the game, capping the zones or defending the zones is what the rifleman should be doing. Killing is a side effect of that.
Worrying about the objectives also gives a LOT more points than just trying to get kills at the expense of overall teamwork.

Upvote 0
If you want to rack up kills as a rifleman and help your team at the same time: MAN THE HMG soldier! There are several well placed HMGs, especially Maxims in Spartanovka, that can delay enemy advance very efficiently. I always keep repeating: a well placed but empty HMG cripples your team. As a rifleman, your fire power is the worst of all team. When you man an HMG, you instantly give your team a fully automatic, recoilless punch it needs.
Additionally, a good idea is to pick up dropped LMGs to boost your team's firepower.

Upvote 0
hmg is cheating for a bolt purist like me :IS2:

and i would argue that getting 40 kills but minimal team points in a round is better than being in every cap but getting 10 kills, because of reinforcements. regardless, i usually get enough team points from playing like this since you spend alot of time killing ppl in caps/from caps

Upvote 0
hmg is cheating for a bolt purist like me :IS2:

and i would argue that getting 40 kills but minimal team points in a round is better than being in every cap but getting 10 kills, because of reinforcements. regardless, i usually get enough team points from playing like this since you spend alot of time killing ppl in caps/from caps
I'm a rifleman from the beginning of my RO2 adventure and I wouldn't say its cheating. It doesn't boost your player statistics in any way. It doesn't make your HMG skill grow or anything (perhaps apart of kill score, but we all know it doesn't matter really). What I think is important is that it helps your team by either denying area access to the enemy, delaying their advance and decreasing their tickets in the process. That is, if you can control yourself enough and make yourself not to go frenzy with full auto and thus get yourself killed. So I say heads down and don't be afraid to use HMGs because it's no shame to do so.

Ask yourself a question. If you can increase your team's firepower by manning an HMG? Why not do so?
They are there for a reason. And certainly not to be left empty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm a rifleman from the beginning of my RO2 adventure and I wouldn't say its cheating. It doesn't boost your player statistics in any way. It doesn't make your HMG skill grow or anything (perhaps apart of kill score, but we all know it doesn't matter really). What I think is important is that it helps your team by either denying area access to the enemy, delaying their advance and decreasing their tickets in the process. That is, if you can control yourself enough and make yourself not to go frenzy with full auto and thus get yourself killed. So I say heads down and don't be afraid to use HMGs because it's no shame to do so.

Ask yourself a question. If you can increase your team's firepower by manning an HMG? Why not do so?
They are there for a reason. And certainly not to be left empty.
Tickets? TICKETS? God I hate that term.....I'd certainly hate to be deployed into battle and be told I wasn't anything but a freakin "ticket". What does that mean, I just wait for someone to punch a hole in me?......:rolleyes: NEWSFLASH on the radio:"Well, Germany lost 100 tickets in today's battle. But not to worry, we'll just print up 1,000 more......" Way to go EA (or whoever) managed to reduce death to a 'ticket'.
/end of personal rant..:cool:

The problem with the fixed HMG vs the rifle (or any other moveable weapon) is that the HMG is fixed and has limited range of motion. Once someone mans the HMG and the opposing team knows its location and that its being manned, it only takes one rifleman to render that HMG virtually useless. It only takes one rifleman to stay back out of its range of motion and shoot anyone who mans it (and anyone else who happens by it). Being a good rifleman, its not hard to inflict more caualties with less personal deaths (and apparently also known as 'getting your ticket punched'). As you're not fixed, you can move and fire from the same close proximity of the last shot. Thus you're not always in the exact same location making it harder for the opposing team to get an easy 'fix' on you.

imo, Single fire rifles are the most rewarding and satisfying role in the game.....(and often the most frustrating)

Last edited:
Reactions: slyder73
Upvote 0
The problem with the fixed HMG vs the rifle (or any other moveable weapon) is that the HMG is fixed and has limited range of motion.
(I did read the whole post FYI, just singled-out this sentence for brevity)

Regardless of the inherent vulnerability you take upon yourself by mounting a heavy machine gun, I find it can be very useful in short bursts, by staying nearby and hopping on to it when you see a decent-sized group incomming, where you can mow them down without a chance of retaliation. Of course, with the exception of one extremely lucky instance where I had an amazingly well-coordinated Russian team on Spartanovka and the machine-gunners in the church were suppressing the Germans with impunity, grabbing the controls of one such weapon for any extended period of time is a huge personnal risk. I would simply put a 'middle-of-the-road' recommendation of being ready to do it with an oppertunistic approach, while keeping the rifle as a main weapon.

Overall, good little guide, as long as the players know that he's doing this in order to soften the defenses, but that someone has to run in and take the point. The rifleman in question should have this in mind also!

Upvote 0
Going for the caps as bolt rifleman will also give you the highest kill amount as well. When I play rifleman I usually end up on the top 3 in both team points and kills.

If I were to stay back I would end up like the other losers that you usually see when the team is out of reinforcements, and who are always the last to die because they are still camping in spawn trying to snipe (regardless of the gun they have) but also curiosly enough always on the bottom of the list in team points as well as kills.

Upvote 0
Tickets? TICKETS? God I hate that term.....I'd certainly hate to be deployed into battle and be told I wasn't anything but a freakin "ticket". What does that mean, I just wait for someone to punch a hole in me?......:rolleyes: NEWSFLASH on the radio:"Well, Germany lost 100 tickets in today's battle. But not to worry, we'll just print up 1,000 more......" Way to go EA (or whoever) managed to reduce death to a 'ticket'.
/end of personal rant..:cool:

The problem with the fixed HMG vs the rifle (or any other moveable weapon) is that the HMG is fixed and has limited range of motion. Once someone mans the HMG and the opposing team knows its location and that its being manned, it only takes one rifleman to render that HMG virtually useless. It only takes one rifleman to stay back out of its range of motion and shoot anyone who mans it (and anyone else who happens by it). Being a good rifleman, its not hard to inflict more caualties with less personal deaths (and apparently also known as 'getting your ticket punched'). As you're not fixed, you can move and fire from the same close proximity of the last shot. Thus you're not always in the exact same location making it harder for the opposing team to get an easy 'fix' on you.

imo, Single fire rifles are the most rewarding and satisfying role in the game.....(and often the most frustrating)

When I play Apartments as Russian, I can keep all the windows empty by using my mg-34. I kill a few guys at the start, then they really hesitate poking their heads up. I think, since I started doing it, I have only been sniped once out of my window. A HMG isn't all that different. They even place them in different spots on maps so they wont become a standard place to nade.

Upvote 0
Getting alot of kills is good but, the best players get alot of kills while in the capzone while actually helping their team.

I would rather have 20 kills in the capzone than 40 kills out of the zone.This will also produce a higher score as you get bonus points for killing inside the cap.Many people just go for kills personally I go for WINs and this involves a high team score as well as lots of kills.

Its not how many you kill its where and when you kill them.Nothing is better for your team than clearing out a capzone and stopping an enemy capture or defense of an objective.This wins more battles than anything I play rifleman most of the time.I like to try to find 2-3 spots in each objective that has a good field of fire so I can relocate if need be or change spots to meet an enemy threat.

Also its not a good idea just to have one spot every time good players will learn your spots making you a easy target.

Upvote 0
I agree with you, Carl Gustav...I play single player options in many games because I play games for enjoyment. It is hard to enjoy a game when there are people who think they are Patton or worse...Montgomery...and are constantly berating people as they play by either their microphones or typed comments. God help you if you happen to TK one of those experts. I like playing the multi-player option in RO2 because of the aspect of competing with thinking adversaries...not to mention that I think RO2 is an impressive program that deserves accolades and not as much derision as probably from these same arm-chair generals. It is good that people play the game to win the game and helpful suggestions to team members to go here or there or watch for a sniper or other such information is great, but comments about the intelligence level of a player or complaining because a player is hanging back a bit is unnecessary. That person may be having the time of his life...let him enjoy it. The most enjoyable RO2 sessions I have had were the ones where the guys with the microphones were encouraging players and were good sports whether they won a round or not. Once the wise-guys get into it and take over, many good participants will look for somewhere else to play. If this game is truly to last, it won't be because TWI comes up with a solution for every player's demands of what they want into it, it will be because when many of those playing it like the experience of cooperating with a group of people who are in it for the game and not for an opportunity to be in the presence of a self appointed Major-General Omniscience.

Upvote 0
Carl Gustav said:
Or you guys could just leave the guy alone and let him play the game the way he wants. He pays he plays.
Indeed, but if he is voicing his opinion on the forums he must take into consideration that some people might disagree and start discussion about the topic. That's what forums are for. It is not like someone is hammering him personally for how he plays...?

Stukadriver said:
It is hard to enjoy a game when there are people who think they are Patton or worse...Montgomery...and are constantly berating people as they play by either their microphones or typed comments.
You can mute and ignore them by the communication panel. It is not intuitive in use, but it works. Don't confuse the good people who are giving orders/suggestions/informations with idiots.

Upvote 0
I see how this has kind of deviated into a discussion on Heavy MG's, so I'll throw in my two cents. As long as you're not manning the MG 6 miles away from the action, and you've got a buddy to pick off the baddies out of range (and take your spot if/when you get popped yourself), MG's are useful as heck to a well coordinated team.

Now back to rifles, personally, I believe that I'm terrible, but I have had to myself a couple of rare moments of clarity in-game. What I like to call it is my CCCP (Concentration, Caution, Co-ordination, Posture (See what I did there?)).
Concentration: In any shooter (especially one such as this) it takes quite a bit of concentration to keep an eye out for the enemy, as a lot of the times one unaware can easily walk into a room and not notice an enemy. Situational awareness is key, you really want to know where a lot of the action is taking place, and based on what you want to do (sneak around the back, or just get into the fight) you really gotta know what's going on where. Know how many rounds are left in your rifle, you don't want to expose yourself in an attempt to shoot a baddie only to realize you're empty.
Caution: I can't even begin to describe how many times I have literally walked right by an opponent without a second thought only to be shot in the back. When alone, or if there is no action taking place, it's really helpful to keep your eyes peeled and your ears open, move slowly, and don't sprint everywhere like a Kenyan on crack, you don't want to find yourself wandering into enemy territory by mistake, or even worse, bumping right into one only to have the both of you riddle each other with bullets, or in your case as a rifleman, maybe none.
Coordination: If you're playing with mostly human players (I rarely do, as most other humans are stupid :p no offense), keeping an open (but not obnoxious) stream of communications (whether through the chat, open mic, or in-game character orders is up to you) is essential to having a coordinated team. Know where you are in relation to your team, and where they are in relation to you. Take note of who is playing as what class, but don't get crazy about it, keep an eye on squad leaders, commanders, and MG gunners, because if they're in danger, you may need to cover for them (in the case of an MG gunner, you may even need to pick up his wep in case he gets dropped).
Posture: Stay in cover whenever possible, and even whenever out in the open, try to crouch-sprint, because it gives you a much smaller profile, and if you can, KEEP SPRINTING! Take note of cover, be it big or large, sandbag wall or dillapidated building, just be aware. In Territories, know how both teams need (or at least tend) to play, know the good hiding spots of both sides, you never know when you're gonna be autobalanced, and it doesn't help when you know where not to be in terms of enemy lines of fire.
Alright, I think that's enough for now, hope it was helpful enough :eek:

Upvote 0