• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How the k43 should load & sound!

Sweet. But is it possible / was it customery to preload the magazines and swap them like in the game currently, and were the soldiers IRL issued with more than one of those? I recall reading that e.g. SMLE and SVT-40 had detachable magazines but soldiers were issued with only one of those, so they had to load them with those clips like any other rifle with non-detachable magazine.

Upvote 0
D3terioNation said:
as accurate as the g41

Well the Ge-41 would be slightly more accurate in my opinion - alot of high quality machined parts went into a Gewehr-41 but the bullet drop for the Gewehr 41 and Gewehr/karabiner 43 should be the same due to the same muzzle velocity,7.92mm round, and barrel length. The differences between the Ge-41 and Ge/Kar43 other than reliablity are like the Mp-38 vs the Mp-40 very slight with an overall simplification for faster production and less raw material useage.

D3terioNation said:
beef up the sound

Yeah to borrow a line from the Ro-forums " it sounds like stepping on the end of a dog's tail"-:D
Great vid love the real sound.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my oppinion, from a weekend spent shooting Mausers and Mosin Nagants, the only good sounding weapon sound is the Dragunov in CoD4, it has the "solid" pop followed by the echo, where you hear no other sound during that initial "pop" and very little during the ensuing echoes. But, that is just my horrible explanation of what I think it should sound like.

That video definitely has the loading of the rifle spot on. Changeable/ expendable magazines really didn't catch on with rifles until the M14 and M16A1/2. And of course the SMGs and Assault Rifles.

Upvote 0
In my oppinion, from a weekend spent shooting Mausers and Mosin Nagants, the only good sounding weapon sound is the Dragunov in CoD4, it has the "solid" pop followed by the echo, where you hear no other sound during that initial "pop" and very little during the ensuing echoes. But, that is just my horrible explanation of what I think it should sound like.

That video definitely has the loading of the rifle spot on. Changeable/ expendable magazines really didn't catch on with rifles until the M14 and M16A1/2. And of course the SMGs and Assault Rifles.
Don't forget that what you hear standing behind a weapon (or slightly behind and to the side) is not that same as what you hear when the weapon is pointed at you. :eek: (Not to forget that the environment that the weapon is being shot in makes a difference, too.)

Upvote 0
Don't forget that what you hear standing behind a weapon (or slightly behind and to the side) is not that same as what you hear when the weapon is pointed at you. :eek: (Not to forget that the environment that the weapon is being shot in makes a difference, too.)

That's true, and as far as I know recording gunshots properly and playing them in the game is not a trivial task at all. Obviously the dynamics are huge etc. so it's very difficult to make it sound even remotely same.

Upvote 0
Indoor sound & outdoor for semi-auto's are very different indeed! Also in first person you get all the mechanical sounds as well as the gunshot itself! Look at the m1-carbine for example, which has a very pronounced sound of the chamber slamming shut.

Compared to a bolty where you only hear the bang & thats it!

I still think there should be some compramise on the k43 especially, to give the gun that psychological edge of at least seeming more powerfull, by improving the sound.

I personally think the k43 doesnt sound like that irl anyway so it should get tweaked!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Indoor sound & outdoor for semi-auto's are very different indeed! Also in first person you get all the mechanical sounds as well as the gunshot itself! Look at the m1-carbine for example, which has a very pronounced sound of the chamber slamming shut.

Compared to a bolty where you only hear the bang & thats it!

I still think there should be some compramise on the k43 especially to give the gun that psychological edge of at least seeming more powerfull, by improving the sound.

I personally think the k43 doesnt sound like that irl anyway so it should get tweaked!

Maybe your K43 is not made of the same parts as the German ones(which somtimes had seriouz quality issues)

Upvote 0
Should I complain that my deactivated Mauser Kar98k bolt makes ten times more sound while rebolting compared to any video game and the bolt (atleast in this one) is naturally "tough" and if I would use this game as a base model the way they bolt in RO would be impossible without spending too much time or using strenght - alot. And yes, the gun is just very recently oiled. Especially the bolt.

The idea is fine, but somehow "does it sound correct" is quite funny, since sound can vary between the enviroment, quality of the barrel, quality of the gun and other stuff like that. You do have a point there though.

Upvote 0
I partially agree on the matter of the stripper clips for the semi-autos. Soldiers who were issued the G43 and the SVT-40 were issued with three magazines, and a pair of stripper clip pouches. The theory was that the soldiers would load via stripper clip during times where they were not under duress, and save the loaded magazines for times where they needed ammo faster.

Now, from personal experience with those guns, loading via stripper clips is a faster method than loading a new magazine. Unfortunately, the methods and times used to reload via stripper clips in game are horribly off, especially for the German rifles. Five seconds to strip ammo into a Mauser or Gewehr? Not bloody likely.

The loading as we have it now is relatively close for the Russian rifles, as their stripper clips are absolutely horrid, even worse than the clips for the Lee-Enfield, but I can still load any of my Russian rifles in half the time it takes to do so in game. And take includes opening my ammo pouch, fishing a clip out and getting it into the clip guides.

So... My opinion on it is that while yes, it would be far more technically correct to have the semi's load via stripper clip than to pack around 8 spare magazines... Until the reload times are fixed for the stripper clips (which I think we already know isn't going to happen), it would only further to slow people down.

Not to mention it would end tactical reloads. The Gewehr 43 and SVT-40's were not equipped with a hold open while ammo is still in the magazine. Only when the mag is empty does the bolt stay open. Not sure about the Gewehr 41. Can't comment on that, as I've never laid hands on one.

Upvote 0
The loading as we have it now is relatively close for the Russian rifles, as their stripper clips are absolutely horrid, even worse than the clips for the Lee-Enfield, but I can still load any of my Russian rifles in half the time it takes to do so in game. And take includes opening my ammo pouch, fishing a clip out and getting it into the clip guides.

Ever tried picking ammo out from ammo box with generic combat gear and after moving and running around for a while or even in odd position (like prone) ? And especially in low temperatures (below -15 degrees celsius) or high temperatures (20+ degrees celsius) ?

While yes, RO reloading times sometimes seems rather absurd, considering the pace of the game the reload is timewise still logical. Only way to fix it would be to make reloading speed depending on stamina and some other things.

Upvote 0
Ever tried picking ammo out from ammo box with generic combat gear and after moving and running around for a while or even in odd position (like prone) ? And especially in low temperatures (below -15 degrees celsius) or high temperatures (20+ degrees celsius) ?

Been there, done that. In fact, I do monthly military rifle competitions with my local gun club. We've done shoots in temperatures ranging from -25C to +40C (that royally sucked in a German wool uniform), with positions including standing off-hand, kneeling, sitting, and prone.

Generally I do strictly Russian and German rifles for these events, mainly because I have a variety of Russian and German rifles, and the uniforms and fieldgear to go with them (2nd Guards Army, 287th Rifle Division for Russian and 2nd SS 'Das Reich' Division, 'Deutschland' Regiment for German). Not only that, but I also do reenacting as both Russian and German with a reenactment society out of the northwest region of North America.

So, yes, actually, I do know what it's like to have to load under duress and in a wide variety of situations and I still say that the reload times, especially for the Germans which have one of the EASIEST stripper clips to load from, are horribly slow.

However, I do agree that the reload times should vary based on your position, if you're under fire, if artillery is going off around you, etc.

Stamina not so much. I can run full tilt for a few hundred metres in full battle kit and still reload in the same position just as fast as I could if I'd been sitting around all day, but definitely for most everything else.

Upvote 0
So, yes, actually, I do know what it's like to have to load under duress and in a wide variety of situations and I still say that the reload times, especially for the Germans which have one of the EASIEST stripper clips to load from, are horribly slow.

You certainly do have a point there, but on the other hand I believe it is "fine" overall, since bolt actions are already (nearly) one-hit kill lazerz cannons, if the rebolting speed would be faster (based on personal experience with a Mauser) or reload would be as fast as it could be pulled out in general (even thought it varies on the soldier and situation itself), we would have gameplaywise rather serious balance issue around.

Especially when in RO I hardly get the idea that bolt action would be a bad weapon in close quarters.

Upvote 0
Maybe your K43 is not made of the same parts as the German ones(which somtimes had seriouz quality issues)

afaik in the whole wartime the quality of the german weapons didnt drop verry much
only the cosmetical quality dropped
ive shot different Kar's ranging from 1934 to 1945 and there hasnt been much difference in accuracy

Upvote 0