• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How the Feedback of Hit Registration in Melee Combat in KF2 can be Improved

TheAphabet

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2017
There are a few things I have observed about melee combat that Vermintide 2 and Dying Light did correctly, from which I believe KF2's melee combat can benefit from.

-------------------

In KF2, regardless of whether you are using a blunt or sharp weapon, the hit registration on melee weapons is not properly projected to the player. Some possible options include the Overwatch route: where in melee hits are conveyed through cartoonish decals or particle effects.

However, since KF2 err towards the realistic side of things, what Vermintide 2 and Dying Light does seems more appropriate to KF2's design.

So, to answer the question, "what did Vermintide 2 and Dying Light did correct in melee (that KF2 can learn from)?"

Essentially, the melee combat in the two aforementioned game successfully convey hit registration to the player by changing the weapon's swing animation if a hit lands on a solid object: that is, if you swing a sword and hit an enemy or a wall, your sword will stop short in mid-swing if it was not a clean decapitation.

-------------------

Why is this important? Well, because it improves player immersion, and also communicates to the player whether a melee attack landed or not.

Weapon animations that stop in the presence of a solid target give rise to a "meatier" combat experience; it makes the difference between hitting a 200lb biological weapon with an axe, as opposed to say, bopping a balloon-- You want that axe to literally stick it to 'em.

Hit registration feedback on melee weapons have been an issue in KF2, especially for the Static Strikers. The manifestation of the problem is more apparent in the Static Strikers, because the punch animations occur linearly outwards from the player (unlike weapons that work like Class 1 levers, e.g. swords, which you swing around), since we are working in a 2D projection of a 3D space on the player's computer screen, it is hard to tell whether punches land or not because 3D depth cannot be properly conveyed on 2D media.

To summarize, here is an example of what can be done to improve the visual feedback in KF2's melee combat, using the Static Strikers (blunt weapon) and Katana (sharp weapon) for illustration.

Static Strikers:
1. Punches that do not land swing by without resistance
2. Punches that do land are halted by the "impact" with the object
3. Heavy attacks are not halted on "impact" for small Zeds, but light attacks are
4. Heavy and Light attacks are halted by "impact" on large Zeds

Katana:
1. Slashes that do not land swing by without resistance
2. Slashes that land without decapitating is halted mid-slash
3. Slashes that decapitate passes through the subject.

Of course, there are fancier stuff that can be done, but are completely optional. For instance, an axe swing can get stuck in a Zed's skull, in which the 1st person animation would show the player "unsticking" the axe from the skull. But that is not the point of this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Musicaholic800
It would look good, but considering how zeds spawn and behave on high difficulties, hitting multiple small/medium zeds per swing is invaluable, especially with the weaker melee weapons, which are most likely to realistically get stopped on impact. So for gameplay's sake, I would suggest such a system being more lenient than your examples.

Aside from zeds passively stopping your swings when getting hit, zeds actively blocking could also play some part. For example, maybe a katana could swing through a gorefast otherwise, but be stopped if it was a hit on the gorefast's blade while he's blocking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with the statements above.

Azukki The system used by Vermintide and Dying Light is slightly more nuanced than I described. Small, sharp melee weapons, like dual blades or short swords, pass through multiple enemies easily; whereas larger weapons, like axes and swords, do not. And most weapons (based on my observation) have a higher probability of passing through multiple smaller enemies as well.

I think the reason being that weapons that are intended to cause flesh wounds pass through enemies easier than weapons that has to meet bone.

So instead of an all-or-nothing outcome as I originally suggested, there would be a threshold or a threshold function that determines whether a weapon is allowed to cleave through enemies or not, and I suspect the deciding features of this threshold is a combination of enemy size, weapon size and attack type (i.e. heavy or light attacks).

Yoshiro I agree, I suspect there is more utility for the TWI team to build upon the current base game to the best state it can be up until development begins to taper off.
Either way, it's worth pointing out the subtle mechanics that other games employ to improve player immersion for future consideration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In a perfect world, now that we have more perk skills to work from as a base and more weapons, I would like to revisit the original Zerker/urban ninja concept and trial making the Zerker more into the incap tank (with much lower damage) and an urban ninja which would be a glass cannon that has to block/parry

Upvote 0