• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How the Berserker is overpowered...

I'm going to chime in with my two cents now.

The Berserker, as a whole, is not overpowered.

In the hands of a select few, the Berserker becomes a unstoppable rape machine of death.

I guess you say say the same about the Firebug as well.

Or Commando, still.

And all this "zerker is OP" business should be fixed in the upcoming patch. So you should be happy with that knowledge.

Have a good day sirs. :)

Upvote 0
I'm going to chime in with my two cents now.

The Berserker, as a whole, is not overpowered.

In the hands of a select few, the Berserker becomes a unstoppable rape machine of death.

You could say the same about Sharpshooter, except for the "select few" part. He's a bit better balanced after beta too though (in some wrong ways imo, but at least he's not so OP in total strength anymore).

Upvote 0
This is getting quite off-topic I must admit. But then most of us have already reached consensus on the original topic.

yeah your right it is off topic but i really just have to say my final piece ;)

Unless....they're wearing armor or your weapon requires two headshots to kill. Like the UMP.

Again this is just moot dude because the UMP is fully auto...its not like you shoot once and then wait 30seconds on a reload...so by the time you have fired 2 shots its just as good as firing one..! you are making no sense at all man....dont mean that in a harsh way, but seriously you are way off the mark here man :/

Yes some weapons are ofcourse better then others - my favourite is the AK and pumpshotgun...but if i miss a critical shot with an AK...i can get gunned out by a pistol - thats the nature of the game.

Ok, so you're basically saying that the game's balanced because everyone can use the overpowered weapons if they want? Laughable.

No...what im saying is all the weapons DO the same thing - so it doesnt matter what weapon you have you always have a chance.
A pistol can headshot from one end of the room to the other...just as can a sniper! ..Sure you have more chance with a sniper to do that but it doesnt mean you cant with any other weapon.

Theres no bullet drop in CS!

Actually, I wouldn't want elitists in ANY game I play. And I don't give a damn if anyone is skilled in a game or not, I don't place any importance on that tbh.

Well that all comes down to what type of gamer you are...sure if you are a casual gamer then yeah i guess you wouldnt want elitists in your game...!
But in a game like KF is you keep getting wiped out in suicidal and REALLLLY want to do the level but your skill and teams skill just isnt good enough ever to do it....then i guess you would then ;)

Yeah, but if two evenly skilled players meet, an AK/M4/MP5 user WILL beat a FAMAS/AUG/UMP user a vast majority of the time. That's weapon imbalance.

No thats not weapon imbalance at all...for starters the FAMAS can fire in a 3 shot burst....again if you can actually aim the gun you can go around popping heads left right and centre. Also if you are just aiming at the body...the AUG will out gun all of the above weapons..! give or take the AK because if you know how to shoot that gun its a beast.

So again what you said there is moot dude...! have you actually played CS?

Just because a pro player can use an underpowered weapon to kill newbs with an overpowered weapon doesn't mean the weapons are suddenly balanced.

Lol...no what this goes to show is that what people class as 'Underpowered' isnt always true.
Like i said...to a noob a gun like the scout can seem useless...but when you play games at higer levels because your SKILL allows you to the you will clearly see that the gun is NOT underpowered.

This is why it is important...as i said before that games are not balanced on lower-tier players...because what would happen if it was is that the scout would have ended up being a one shot kill with a faster reload then the AWP....which would then make it MORE powerful then the AWP...and that gun is already OP.

I disagree. Arcades are on the rise here due to gaming becoming more mainstream, as well as fighting games, the main arcade fodder, becoming more "flashy".

You can disagree all you like but fact is the arcades are dying and have been since the introduction of console gaming.
Which sadly makes me very sad...but titles are not hitting the cades anymore...yeah sure you get house of the dead 16...street figther 6000 and metal slug 3D....but there are very few arcade cabinets anymore...its not how its was 15years ago at all.

The hilarious thing is that CoD makes many of the same balance mistakes that CS does. Encouraging camping, easy 1-shot weapons, shotguns that are way too unreliable.....I do like regenerating health systems though.

i have to say first that the shotgun on CS is so not unreliable...it shreads.
But why i was referring to COD on console is because its the noobiest shooter with loads of auto-aim to make people feel good about their skill level...! sadly half the nation who plays it on console dont even understand that the game plays itself...but thats why they are so popular, because anyone can play it.

An personally ...hmmm i dunno if i like the regen-system...im still 50/50 ;)

But anways like we said its off topic....and i mean no malice in what i've said...! you are entitled to your opinion which is cool with me...i like to talk ;)
BUT im not 100% on how much of an experienced gamer you are? but some of the things you are saying are a little....well i dunno..like i said say what you will, but be prepared for someone to strongly disagree :p

Reactions: 9_6
Upvote 0
Again this is just moot dude because the UMP is fully auto...its not like you shoot once and then wait 30seconds on a reload...so by the time you have fired 2 shots its just as good as firing one..! you are making no sense at all man....dont mean that in a harsh way, but seriously you are way off the mark here man :/
So are other guns that kill in one headshot.... :rolleyes:

So at "high skill levels" where headshots are common, a gun that kills in 1 headshot will beat out the UMP.

Yes some weapons are ofcourse better then others - my favourite is the AK and pumpshotgun...but if i miss a critical shot with an AK...i can get gunned out by a pistol - thats the nature of the game.

Just letting you know, that phrase doesn't mean anything. A developer can decide what the "Nature of the Game" is, doesn't meant they can't make a wrong decision.

Also, just because you can lose to another weapon doesn't mean the weapons are balanced. I can conceivably lose to Dan in Street Fighter while playing Sagat, but Dan is definitely the inferior (though hilarious) character.

No...what im saying is all the weapons DO the same thing - so it doesnt matter what weapon you have you always have a chance.
A pistol can headshot from one end of the room to the other...just as can a sniper! ..Sure you have more chance with a sniper to do that but it doesnt mean you cant with any other weapon.
"You have a chance" does not mean "Guns are balanced". Take Halo, which we both agree is imbalanced. Someone using the Plasma Pistol is completely underpowered against someone using a Fuel Rod Cannon, despite technically "having a chance" if he ambushes him.

Theres no bullet drop in CS!
Which....doesn't mean anything. Even if there was, simply adjust your aim. Bullet drop wouldn't suddenly make fighting snipers impossible, just a requiring a little more guesswork.

Well that all comes down to what type of gamer you are...sure if you are a casual gamer then yeah i guess you wouldnt want elitists in your game...!
But in a game like KF is you keep getting wiped out in suicidal and REALLLLY want to do the level but your skill and teams skill just isnt good enough ever to do it....then i guess you would then ;)

Even if you wipe every time, it can be an enjoyable experience with friends, or even particularly humorous random pubbers.

No thats not weapon imbalance at all...for starters the FAMAS can fire in a 3 shot burst....again if you can actually aim the gun you can go around popping heads left right and centre. Also if you are just aiming at the body...the AUG will out gun all of the above weapons..! give or take the AK because if you know how to shoot that gun its a beast.
Who cares? Just lightly tap the trigger with any other gun until you've shot thrice, same result. What I'm saying is that taking spread, damage, reload times.....hard weapon stats, the FAMAS is markedly inferior to the M4/AK. And so is any other gun compared to the Big 5 CS weapons.

So again what you said there is moot dude...! have you actually played CS?

Of course I have. Have you played CoD and Halo, the games you base your points around?

Lol...no what this goes to show is that what people class as 'Underpowered' isnt always true.
Like i said...to a noob a gun like the scout can seem useless...but when you play games at higer levels because your SKILL allows you to the you will clearly see that the gun is NOT underpowered.

This is why it is important...as i said before that games are not balanced on lower-tier players...because what would happen if it was is that the scout would have ended up being a one shot kill with a faster reload then the AWP....which would then make it MORE powerful then the AWP...and that gun is already OP.
Ok, so in what hard stats does the Scout outdo the AWP in, oh CS guru? A slight firing rate advantage? Whoopie!

You can disagree all you like but fact is the arcades are dying and have been since the introduction of console gaming.
Which sadly makes me very sad...but titles are not hitting the cades anymore...yeah sure you get house of the dead 16...street figther 6000 and metal slug 3D....but there are very few arcade cabinets anymore...its not how its was 15years ago at all.
Arcades will never disappear completely, so long as people love to play video games drunk.

Just kidding. Jokes aside, the arcade has actually had somewhat of a renaissance in the past couple years. For once we have the advent of competitive gaming to thank for that, playing a fighting game well is much more "hip" nowadays, and playing in general is more novel instead of nerdy.

i have to say first that the shotgun on CS is so not unreliable...it shreads.
But why i was referring to COD on console is because its the noobiest shooter with loads of auto-aim to make people feel good about their skill level...! sadly half the nation who plays it on console dont even understand that the game plays itself...but thats why they are so popular, because anyone can play it.

I also don't like auto-aim, but imo CoD's balance fails in that weapons are not weak enough at roles that they shouldn't be in. Sniper's can still get easy no-scopes up close, the shotgun randomly kill from long-range, AR's are too good at long-range and CQC, etc....

An personally ...hmmm i dunno if i like the regen-system...im still 50/50 ;)
I like it because it gives the player a more even game flow. No searching around for health, which is boring. So from a design perspective it's genius. I must admit that balance can suffer if it's not done right though (like if the regen happens too fast it can weaken high RoF/low dmg weapons).

Killing Floor's health system is great in that even though it doesn't unrealistically regen, it allows the player to manually regen his own health, or someone else's through the medi-syringe. This removes the irritation when you have 98 health and a large med kit right in front of you (well, that always bugs me at least).

But anways like we said its off topic....and i mean no malice in what i've said...! you are entitled to your opinion which is cool with me...i like to talk ;)
BUT im not 100% on how much of an experienced gamer you are? but some of the things you are saying are a little....well i dunno..like i said say what you will, but be prepared for someone to strongly disagree :p
Don't resort to personal attacks, it's the second lowest form of debate. As well as the fact that I could say some of the same things about you.

Answers are in green.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9_6
Upvote 0
So are other guns that kill in one headshot.... :rolleyes:

So at "high skill levels" where headshots are common, a gun that kills in 1 headshot will beat out the UMP.
No...because kevlar + helmet allow one you to survive what would have been a one shot kill HS...so you will have to hit twice with any gun?

Just letting you know, that phrase doesn't mean anything. A developer can decide what the "Nature of the Game" is, doesn't meant they can't make a wrong decision.

Also, just because you can lose to another weapon doesn't mean the weapons are balanced. I can conceivably lose to Dan in Street Fighter while playing Sagat, but Dan is definitely the inferior (though hilarious) character.
Of course that phrase means something...it means everything!
Thats how CS works?..you can take any gun into a battle and out shoot whatever weapon you enemy has?:confused:

And really....you should never be losing to Dan ;)...he is one of ..if not the worst character in the game and Sagat being the best!
But that comes down to your skill not the game.
Yes Sagat is totally imbalanced..his combos are ridiculous and his DPS is insane - and ill be honest...i dont lose to Dan with sagat...infact i rarely lose at all when im sagat! but that comes down to being able to control a game and also be able to pull off the combos etc.

But a game like SF4 is harder to balance then CS because there are many chars with many different characteristics and play styles...but i agree Dan does make me laugh ;)

"You have a chance" does not mean "Guns are balanced". Take Halo, which we both agree is imbalanced. Someone using the Plasma Pistol is completely underpowered against someone using a Fuel Rod Cannon, despite technically "having a chance" if he ambushes him.
See what you said there was kinda true until you said 'ambush'...! the whole thing with console shooters is its the first to get behind someone and pull the trigger...because the controller does not give you the ability to do what you can with a mouse and keyboard.
So even if you did get behind someone in halo with an inferior weapon you will still win the battle because by the time they manage to turn around they are dead.

Now say with CS if you do get attacked from behind and you manage to turn around in time with out dying you can 1/2 shot kill whoever is behind you.
So the balance is there in abundance...and ofcourse luck ;)

But im not saying that ALL guns are equal in DPS with CS...because they are not...and yes with FPS games you always want to do as much DPS as possible to help your chances of winning a 1vs1 as an example!
BUT like i said...with the whole HS being implemented it gives you a chance whatever you have.

Normally FPS become very imbalanced when things like Rocket Launchers are introduced...Battlefield2 as a major example. The Gustav was sooooo over-powered it was unreal. Not only was it a one shot kill it had a blast radius aswell so you can take out 3.4 in one shot...thats imbalance.

One of the only shooters ive played that had a balanced rocket launcher is Quake3.

Which....doesn't mean anything. Even if there was, simply adjust your aim. Bullet drop wouldn't suddenly make fighting snipers impossible, just a requiring a little more guesswork.
Of course bullet drop means everything :confused: the reason why is because where you aim your reticle means the bullet isnt going to hit that spot...so for you to get the kill it will require a crap load of maths and luck to get the kill...where a sniper will simply put it over your head and BAM.
Thats why i was saying in CS you can have a chance against snipers with pretty much ANY weapon.

Even if you wipe every time, it can be an enjoyable experience with friends, or even particularly humorous random pubbers.
Yup that is 100% correct :D

Who cares? Just lightly tap the trigger with any other gun until you've shot thrice, same result. What I'm saying is that taking spread, damage, reload times.....hard weapon stats, the FAMAS is markedly inferior to the M4/AK. And so is any other gun compared to the Big 5 CS weapons.
Pound for pound yes of course they are stronger...! but if you are going to run around with guns and aim at peoples feet then you will get out-gunned.
No matter what gun i use in CS i always know i have a chance whatever they may have....!
Again i stress its SKILL that lets this happen.

Of course I have. Have you played CoD and Halo, the games you base your points around?
Yes i have played CoD..erm 2 i think it was quite intensely and played Halo2 intensely and got to a very high rank.

Ok, so in what hard stats does the Scout outdo the AWP in, oh CS guru? A slight firing rate advantage? Whoopie!
Lol look..im not saying im a guru..infact im trying to help you understand why its important for games not to be balanced on lower-end gamers.

Every 'hard stat' shows clearly that the AWP is far superior to the Scout...we all know that right?...so yes ofcourse you would want to use the AWP everytime!
But again i say..you CAN headshot which eliminates a lot of OP weapons and adds a massive amount of SKILL factor to the game.
Why do you think CS is so damn popular still after a stupid amount of years?...its because it works and has done from day one!

Arcades will never disappear completely, so long as people love to play video games drunk.

Just kidding. Jokes aside, the arcade has actually had somewhat of a renaissance in the past couple years. For once we have the advent of competitive gaming to thank for that, playing a fighting game well is much more "hip" nowadays, and playing in general is more novel instead of nerdy.
No they wont disappear completely...but places like swimming pools (where i spent my life playing streetfighter) gyms (where i spent another part of my life playing Silk Worm, metal slug and mortal kombat)...etc dont host arcades like that anymore...and most of the arcades now days are half filled with damn gambling machines :(

Me and my Bro would always go into London to a Cade house and get our asses handed to us by Jap kids on Street fighter and the likes then get a family bucket KFC to drown our sorrows ;)....but it doesnt happen like that anymore.
Like i said sadly consoles are a huge factor in that.

I also don't like auto-aim, but imo CoD's balance fails in that weapons are not weak enough at roles that they shouldn't be in. Sniper's can still get easy no-scopes up close, the shotgun randomly kill from long-range, AR's are too good at long-range and CQC, etc....
And again a prime example were CS has it right is if you fire the AWP unscoped your aim is all over the place!
One thing i HATE about FPS games with snipers is being able to shoot accurately un-scoped.

I like it because it gives the player a more even game flow. No searching around for health, which is boring. So from a design perspective it's genius. I must admit that balance can suffer if it's not done right though (like if the regen happens too fast it can weaken high RoF/low dmg weapons).

Killing Floor's health system is great in that even though it doesn't unrealistically regen, it allows the player to manually regen his own health, or someone else's through the medi-syringe. This removes the irritation when you have 98 health and a large med kit right in front of you (well, that always bugs me at least).
Yeah this comes down to personally preference i suppose...and i agree i love the way KF health system works.

I think the reason why im kinda unsure about the health-regen system is theoretically you can be invincible if you know where to hide and when to pull away from a gun fight.

Don't resort to personal attacks, it's the second lowest form of debate. As well as the fact that I could say some of the same things about you.
Well to be honest dude there was nothing personal and nothing being attacked?
So im not quite sure why you came to that conclusion.:confused:

If you felt attacked then sorry you took it that way but there was no malice intended.

Reactions: Salad Snake and 9_6
Upvote 0
FF to the 1:45 mark in the below video. Keep in mind that this is solo play.

YouTube - Killing Floor - 1015 Beta Patch 3 - Wave 7 + Patriarch as Berserker on Bedlam

I don't want to deal with the fleshpound in that specific spot, so I keep moving back.....only to find myself in the middle of a fleshpound sandwich. No problem, +40% resistance with patch 3 zerker speed lets me take a hit from that second fleshpound and avoid the scrake. I know it is a watered down situation from what happens in a 6 man game and I'm not really wading through a sea of specimens but I think it does illustrate the zerker's ability to force his way through a crowd to reposition himself in a better location.

Upvote 0
What, like you have? :rolleyes:

Yes, exactly like I have. A positive conversation doesn't require everyone, or even anyone, to agree.

There's nothing left to discuss really, you're just refusing to listen to a LOT of people who are correct.

I'm listening to them. I just don't agree with them.

Since "There's nothing left to discuss" feel free to stop posting in this thread.

Reactions: the 1st wasted
Upvote 0
And really....you should never be losing to Dan ;)...he is one of ..if not the worst character in the game and Sagat being the best!
But that comes down to your skill not the game.
Yes Sagat is totally imbalanced..his combos are ridiculous and his DPS is insane - and ill be honest...i dont lose to Dan with sagat...infact i rarely lose at all when im sagat! but that comes down to being able to control a game and also be able to pull off the combos etc.

This is what I mean. Dan is imbalanced because his moves are underpowered statistically. Player skill can mitigate this but assuming EQUAL skill between players (which you should if you're talking balance), Dan will lose. Every time. Making him severely underpowered, though intentionally so, since he is the joke character.

Of course bullet drop means everything :confused: the reason why is because where you aim your reticle means the bullet isnt going to hit that spot...so for you to get the kill it will require a crap load of maths and luck to get the kill...where a sniper will simply put it over your head and BAM.
Thats why i was saying in CS you can have a chance against snipers with pretty much ANY weapon.

Skill allows you to do that math in your head and fight effectively from long-range. I liked Sniping in Battlefield, where there was rudimentary bullet drop.

FPS games are not necessarily just twitchy put-your-crosshair-on-anything-head-shaped. Personally I like when the combat is more strategic and requires forethought.

Pound for pound yes of course they are stronger...! but if you are going to run around with guns and aim at peoples feet then you will get out-gunned.
No matter what gun i use in CS i always know i have a chance whatever they may have....!
Again i stress its SKILL that lets this happen.

But in balancing we assume equal skill. So if one guy is shooting feet, so is the other. If one guy is scoring consistent headshots, so is the other. Then the imbalances come out.

Lol look..im not saying im a guru..infact im trying to help you understand why its important for games not to be balanced on lower-end gamers.

Every 'hard stat' shows clearly that the AWP is far superior to the Scout...we all know that right?...so yes ofcourse you would want to use the AWP everytime!
But again i say..you CAN headshot which eliminates a lot of OP weapons and adds a massive amount of SKILL factor to the game.
Why do you think CS is so damn popular still after a stupid amount of years?...its because it works and has done from day one!

Again, we are assuming equal skill. Just because someone's skill can shine even in an underpowered weapon, doesn't mean it's a balanced weapon. It just means someone chose a more challenging gun. But in a balanced FPS, all guns would yield equal reward for a certain skill level. They would all be equally challenging in different ways.

You have to balance for all tiers of play. However, you must always make sure you get even results between weapons/characters/whatever if the players are evenly matched. An evenly matched AWP user and Scout user will result in the AWP user winning. In different amounts on different skill levels, but he will win.

Tying this back to the topic at hand, I believe the Zerker might be imbalanced at the extreme top-tier, but for 95% of the playerbase he is balanced. It would be the same in, say, Quake. In the hands of the top 5%, the railgun is massively OP. However, it is balanced in that you require hundreds of hours of practice to reach that point (as well as being blessed with above average fine motor skills).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You seem to imply that there is yet more to discuss regarding Beserker that hasn't been resolved. Enlighten me.....

Sadly, I can't. You have made up your mind. From your messages in this thread, you pretty much entered this discussion with your mind made up and determined to threadcrap.

Time for a quick reply before thie thread of fail gets locked.
I disagree, for many reasons, all of which have already been mentioned countless times already. I'm going to save myself the bother of repeating them.

I am also inciting rule 11 of the internet in an effort to make you stop coming up with this rubbish.
"11) All of your carefully picked arguments can easily be ignored"

There is a good discussion here. A shame that you are intent on not considering it. Don't get me wrong. Your opinion of "Nutter is wrong and this thread is stupid." is a perfectly valid opinion and all opinions are welcome in my threads. Threads where everyone agrees are boring. But if you think this thread is so stupid then why do you continue to participate in this obvious waste of your time?

Upvote 0
There is a good discussion here. (...) Threads where everyone agrees are boring.

I see.
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Threads where everyone agrees are boring.
Actually, Threads where evryone agrees often bring forth good ideas for TWI to bring to KF. All this "Excitement" in your thread wont have any effect on this game, for better or worse. So what's the bloody point in arguing it?

Nobody want to add ideas that nobody wants.

you pretty much entered this discussion with your mind made up and determined to threadcrap.
But hey, who's going to complain, when it was already filling with crap by the time I got here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Trolling and a giant pissing contest

Trolling and a giant pissing contest

If you played the game prior to update that nerfed the zerker's dps with chainsaw, you understand how difficult it is to be play with the zerker now. Your most powerful asset is the katana and that only be fairly effective against the big guys, assuming you aren't surrounded by crawlies and gorefasts. Secondly, gorefasts seem to be more numerous and will tear through your armor in a heartbeat. Third of all, I think I can safely say that in roughly 3 out of 5 games that you and I play that are normal 6/6 white listed servers there will be a demoman. And, the fact of the matter is, demomen make leveling a beserker nearly impossible. It so happens that the best way to get cash in game is to kill as many enemies as possible. For this reason, you will often times find yourself at odds with the demomen who compete for the weaker enemies that are sure kills for them. As I already said, the katana and the knife are probably the best weapons the zerker has aside from the katana/x-bow combo, which prompted users to complain about zerkers having the same headshot bonuses as sharpshooters when using the xbow. I believe these bonuses have already been removed or will be removed in the next update. That leaves the zerker with few power-house weapons. Let's face it. The Katana can only cut down enemies so quickly due to the alternate attack being so slow, not to mention you are restricted to attacking only 1 enemy at a time no matter which attack type you use, primary or alternate. These are just some of my general observations. Feel free to critique them if you feel I have improperly stated anything.

While I do concede that the cheaper weapons could give the beserker an unfair advantage, almost all of the other advantages you pointed out were grossly exaggerated and assume that the player is a pro, which the average player isn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0