• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics How should I be using the BAR?

Nightingale

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
So far, I am not really understanding the point of this weapon. The low ROF, high recoil, and low magazine capacity make me feel like it's more like a semi-auto rifle (which happens to be capable of fully-auto fire) that you should be using to place down accurate fire with, rather than as a support weapon like most LMGs. Is this the correct way to use it? In almost any situation, I find the Japanese LMGs or even the M1919 to be a superior weapon.

I usually use two methods

I usually use two methods

Most of the time I use it as a light machine gun. Especially on the slow fire rate mode, it's very easy to lay down accurate long-range bursts of 2-3 rounds. The BAR has the distinct advantage of not being restricted to the MG deployment mechanic. This makes it very versatile in a support role. You can use it from any location.

The other BAR role is close combat. It's very good for that if the situation dictates it.

Upvote 0
Well it was intended for trench fighting in WW1. Which it did at the end. At that time a machine gun was belt fed and water cooled. Not exactly portable. The Bar was just a full auto rifle concept to beef up a rifle squad. Which it did. Historically you might use it to provide a base of fire so the rest of the squad could advance. Or it was light enough that it could be up front. But it was still a heavy weapon. QUITE heavy for a rifle. Quite light for a machine gun. SO for the game. Whatever the heck you think is best.

Upvote 0
Hmm, perhaps stick with it and you might get used to it. In my opinion it's a powerful beast, so much so that I actually sometimes stay away from it, because I think it's just not fair on the Axis players! A short burst on the tip of the iron sight and they go down so easy lol.

Lol, its terrifying to go up against, I'm actually more scared of this then the flamethrower.

Upvote 0
So far, I am not really understanding the point of this weapon. The low ROF, high recoil, and low magazine capacity make me feel like it's more like a semi-auto rifle (which happens to be capable of fully-auto fire) that you should be using to place down accurate fire with, rather than as a support weapon like most LMGs. Is this the correct way to use it? In almost any situation, I find the Japanese LMGs or even the M1919 to be a superior weapon.
575 RPM is not slow, and the recoil isn't high either, rather its more medium to be precise.

20 rounds it not low magazine capacity either when you do 115 damage per bullet.

And yes, for the most part you should be laying down accurate fully auto(or semi auto) fire with it rather than only support fire. Not saying you couldn't support with it, its just that you might as well have the M1919.

In this game the BAR is your assault rifle, use it as such, and remember that it can be used in long range too.

Upvote 0
I always keep it on high ROF, and try to move around a lot unless defending a strongpoint. Most people knock saving private ryan, but the way the BAR is employed in the last battle is probably close to how it was used. Less as a sustained fire weapon more like a mobile automatic weapon closer to an assault rifle for lack of a better term. as was said before in this thread, squads were based around the BAR man, and marine squads/fireteams had I think at least 3 to the army's 1, I know that changed at some point during the war but in the raiders and the regular marine units there were more BARs per squad

Upvote 0
All I know is that I hate coming up against it (although not as much as the MKB or Flamethrower). I'd be carefully sneaking into the cap zone, keeping an eye out for the tell tale light and model of the Flamethrower, get I to a trench, raise my bolt action to begin picking off silly Americans with their guns all pointed in one direction, then BAM-BAM-BAM-*ded*

That thing can clear an area and stop a Bazai charge as good as a Flamethrower (I'd even argue better because it is harder to pick them out).

Upvote 0