• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

how killing floor 2 mixed l4d2 and a bit of payday + some rogue likes so well

Fun fact, Killing Floor (the mod) was around before many of these games (outside of rogue likes) were announced or released!

And while the KF core game loop has changed a bit from the mod days to the original retail release, the team is always looking for ways to excite players.
Well, you can start on analyzing how come that these two (PD2 and L4D2) have vastly larger playerbases.

KF2 hovers at 3K average daily and stagnant, while both competitors (and DRG since we are at it) command bigger playerbases (PD2 10 times more players, L4D2 5 times more players and DRG at least 2 times more players) and steadily grow in numbers.

I can suggest one idea for brainstorming.

KF2 has a split personality of being a realistic survival horror shooter on one hand and a goofy sketch (in UK sense of the word) on the other. KFMod wasn't like that. Maybe it could've been a better and more popular game if it didn't try to be a comedy with clowns, bad goofy costumes and skins and goofy weapons.

There were clearly at least 2 influencers who directed this game from whom these 2 styles have come from. And it's unlikely that Alex Quick was the one behind all the clownery, because he has created KFMod, which is void of it.

Good thing that TWI at last added an option to disable the seasonal zeds, but overall I think it would be great to have at least a game mode, if not the whole game, which would stick to its roots of a survival horror shooter with no clownery or goofiness whatsoever.

There are very realistic games such as Escape From Tarkov which are great and very popular, but given the genre EFT is mostly running/positioning simulator as shooting doesn't have much share there. Would be great to have an EFT game but with realistic zombies and non-stop no-BS shooting.

Upvote 0
Well, there was an on-going war between L4D2 and KF1 back in the day, and I never quite understood why. Besides being zombie shooters, the gameplay really isn't the same. And KF2 further cemented its differences... It's almost arcade-like really ! Score is probably not as important as survival, but the goal is still very simply to kill everything that moves up until the final boss. It's a simple formula that has a lot of charm.

For that reason, I also find the Payday 2 comparison a bit weird. But the most puzzling is the roguelike one... A roguelike is a game where you usually progress across a single playthrough, with potentially some unlockables that persists in-between matches. XP has nothing to do with it, unlock with most RPG subgenres... Precisely because levels are irrelevant, as you come back to square one when you start a new playthrough. KF2 has nothing to unlock, except for cosmetics (that you can't even control except for rare exceptions). And you don't really have any randomness factor either : there's a sense of progression, as you buy more and more weaponry to fight tougher and tougher opponents. But you get to choose what you buy ! Also, having XP that lingers and improve your character (or classes/perks) isn't really enough to classify as "RPG"per se. Tons of games introduced this kind of progression to keep the players coming for more. Is Call of Duty a RPG? If it isn't, why can you create different classes (fitting different roles) and earn XP as you play, which unlocks new gear? Is Bioshock a RPG? As you progress through the game, you earn new powers, new weapons, new skills...

As for not receiving any new update... Well, it's bound to happen at some point. Some of us (myself included) would have probably expected (or wished) for it to happen a little sooner actually, as content creep is a major problem nowadays. And it's not a fatality at all... New games keep coming all the time, and I'd be curious to see what Tripwire has in store for us ! It's typical for game devs to step to a new project once they get tired of an older one, which in turn allow creativity to flourish. It's easier to be motivated for something new than an older project. And easier to start from a clean slate than try to come up with something new for something you already worked on for ages.

And to answer to @o2xVc3UuXp0NyBihrUnu : realism in games is far past its prime. If anything, I believe players got tired of them a couple years ago. And possibly even more so when mixed with zombies (which were absolutely EVERYWHERE ten years ago). But I concur that they overdid it with KF2... I much prefer the b-movie feel of the first game : the atmosphere, the monsters, the gore are all pretty bleak and scary. But it's still kinda funny as your character's banter is ridiculous and cheesy in the best kind of way. Some weapons are also equally ridiculous (the Buzzsaw Baw, the L.A.W. and so forth), and same for the skins. It's kind of what makes B-movie great : silly elements in a serious situation.

I wouldn't agree that it's a horror game, however, because it ain't meant to scare. Even in a game where you kill dozens of monsters like in Dead Space, the game is scary because your resources are scarce. Because you're fragile. Because you rarely know where the enemy will strike. Even KF1 had none of that. The only thing that links it back to horror is its atmosphere... Which is already pretty great, admittedly!

But personally, I believe there are far more reasons as to why people quit Killing Floor 2 :

-Content Creep
-Hell on Earth being too easy for veterans
-Lack of interesting new stuff
-Better options elsewhere (as in : other games)
-Selfish players
-Simply being "too old" (which combines the "better options elsewhere" and "lack of interesting new stuff" arguments, somewhat)

Upvote 0