• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics How does one attack an entrenched enemy?

Marchioly_Torma

Apr 7, 2007
I bought the game recently; it's a great game and all, and I've mastered the controls at last but, I still lack a bit of skill in certain areas of the game (tank gunning, machine-gunning, etc.) But I have mastered the rifle and sub-machine guns.

Usually, I love to play urban maps, but I don't really know how to attack. Whenever I charge a fortified area, I usually don't see the entrenched enemy and I usually die. After dying numerous times while attacking in the warehouses and railway depots in the Stalingrad kessel, I decided to start playing more defensively - taking cover behind low walls and windows and fire at the Russians with my MP-40. Usually, I move from area to area, entrench myself, and ambush enemy players to move forward and to gain kills. I found this to be much more effective than charging, but I still want to know how to attack an entrenched enemy a bit more efficiently.

Any thoughts? I would like to know how to attack the entrenched enemy.

Sprint/dive from cover to cover. Try to get some amount of teamwork going. Even if you don't communicate if you have a mass of people it's much harder to stop than 1 or 2 guys at a time. It's good to have someone laying down cover fire, especially if it's a machine gun, even better if it's a tank ;). Also, try to flank them. Be creative, learn the maps and figure out the spots that are generally well protected and avoid them. Also, use smoke.

Upvote 0
Indeed, the lack of teamwork/coordination is the problem. I must admit that I've seen very little teamwork (if any) in this game yet. There are those few with VOIP yelling orders to us, and isolated bits of chat message yelling for more reinforcements/ammo but it seems that every player is out for himself and nobody else.

Smoke grenades? I only seem to get the lethal type.

Upvote 0
Indeed, the lack of teamwork/coordination is the problem. I must admit that I've seen very little teamwork (if any) in this game yet. There are those few with VOIP yelling orders to us, and isolated bits of chat message yelling for more reinforcements/ammo but it seems that every player is out for himself and nobody else.

Just because there isn't much talking going on, don't assume no teamwork is happening. Either through bashfulness or lack of a mic or just knowing the map quite well a lot of people will work together without necessarily speaking. [Splat] clan's server has often got very good vocal teamwork going on if you are after it.

Upvote 0
[quote

Just because there isn't much talking going on, don't assume no teamwork is happening. Either through bashfulness or lack of a mic or just knowing the map quite well a lot of people will work together without necessarily speaking. [Splat] clan's server has often got very good vocal teamwork going on if you are after it.quote]

True !

Listen to whats going on !

Upvote 0

Covering fire (tank or MG or covering riflemen, if all else fails), team work (never try to take and hold a position alone), communication, and a few grenades.

To address the above text; play on the same server(s) regularly, especially with a mic, and you should make friends or allies soon enough. Then you can try to coordinate attacks appropriately. :)

Upvote 0
Just because there isn't much talking going on, don't assume no teamwork is happening. Either through bashfulness or lack of a mic or just knowing the map quite well a lot of people will work together without necessarily speaking. [Splat] clan's server has often got very good vocal teamwork going on if you are after it.

Yes with clan members that power trip and tk you if you don

Upvote 0
Use smoke, satchels and nades to advance. If you are a rifleman, let the smg guy lead the way close-in while you provide cover from a safe distance.

If you have a good flaking route use it. I always sprint with my bayonet charged, it gives you a quick 1-2 punch with the follow up shot. Sometimes I charge in with my F1 nade ready, you can pull the pin and hold it indefinitely, just as long as you don't press middle mouse and cook it.

If possible spot infantry for your tanks, they can clear buildings for you with HE Shells.

Upvote 0
The most important lesson to keep in mind when on assault is not to get stuck in a rut. If a specific route or plan is too well guarded, don't attack it over and over. Either find a way to clear the threat or use a different method of attack. Stubbornly trying the same tactic again and again wastes time and reinforcements you can't spare.

Upvote 0
Well, this evening I was playing Danzig and found a way (though not totally foolproof) way to attacking head-on against an entrenched enemy.

A few riflemen and me (I was a rifleman too) stormed through that marketplace near the German HQ where several Russians entrenched themselves in the marketplace. The first guy was killed, and they had SMGs and machine-guns and they kept rest of us down with suppressive fire, while we only had rifles and could do little without being killed. I then tossed 2 grenades into that enclosed space, killing two guys. My other riflemen around me stormed out of their cover and took out that last sub-machine-gunner, and we all captured the HQ from the Russians and held out for a minute.

Grenades are useful, but only in enclosed areas, no less for a head-on attack.

Flanking is useful as well, but I couldn't emulate flanking the enemy, but I did see it in action (and die quite a few times because of it.)

Upvote 0

You just have to find a good regular server populated by good, regular players. Then you'll hear good VOIP and see real teamwork. It makes the game much more fun, and that effective teamwork is what wins difficult rounds.

Strategy and tactics you'll come by on your own, in your own style. But in my opinion, THE most important thing in this game is the teamwork and making sure the team is using VOIP to enhance that teamwork.

Upvote 0
2Mannys server has better teamwork then any other server :D

Back on topic, Nades are useful for flushing out enemies in cover. Make sure you cook them so they don't get a chance to run! Of course don't run straight to an objective, sprint/dive from cover to cover and make sure you have enough stanima to make the final sprint. Walking out in the open makes you an easy target.

Upvote 0
I was playing the new beta of Tochiri's map FesteungKurland yesterday--it's a frontal assault on entrenched positions map. It's a lot of fun, but a big part of a successful frontal assault will be dying many, many times. You'll live waay longer if you crawl your way around the map rather than running or even crouching. But the way to move across the open in the quickest manner is for the tanks to move at walking speed, surrounded by infantry. It's a tortoise-or-the-hare problem.

Upvote 0