• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How do you play this...?

Just how old are you? You mentioned 1984, and even I wasn't born yet and I thought I was one of the oldest here. Its good to see adult gamers now days! Welcome

1984? I remember when the book of the same title was still a distant future event! I had already graduated from HS, college, and graduate school by 1984. But, that's just me!

Not sure how old Larry is, but there are others of us "old folks" around here! Oh, 51 here (born in March 1960)...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks guys - this has been a lot of help. You're blood's worth bottling!

I'm 65 but don't look a day over 64! As I said earlier I've never been into computer games - always boardgames or miniature wargames.
I do remember being in Tokyo in 1978 & there was an electronic game machine in a coffee shop. It looked like a coffee table & the game was ping pong (?). I was backpacking through Asia & just after I got back to the UK they brought out that tank battle game you could play on your TV!

I haven't had a chance to put all your advice into practice yet. I also do a bit of painting & a friend lent me some very expensive brushes so I have had to make sure I use them before she comes round this afternoon to collect them.

So, on with the motley!

Oh a couple (well three) more things:
What is "mantle"?
What does "cook a grenade" mean?
What is "spawning"? If it is coming alive again after being killed - how is it done?

Thanks again lads (and grumpy old farts) it will be a pleasure to be killed by you on the battlefield.

I've been on a few forums where you can't go more than a couple of posts before a flame war starts. It seems PC gamers are much more civilised!!

Be lucky
Larry

Go Geelong this saturday
Go QPR all the time!

Upvote 0
Not sure what happened! I posted a reply here over 12 hours ago & it's disappeared.

Anyway, you young whippersnappers, I'm 65 going on 21 (more like - going on 83).

Again, I'd like to thank all you blokes for your help & advice. I certainly know what's waiting for me & I don't think I'll get frustrated. I like to become as good as I can get - not necessarily the best ever - & I'm realistic enough to know when that happens.

I hope I can get to meet some of you on the field of battle - feel free to say 'Hi' or shoot me; whichever you prefer.

Be lucky
Larry

Upvote 0
It is a great thread. Dads and sons having fun. My dad is 72 and is a great coach. He will sit and watch me play and critique everything I do. When I fail (which is often :)) he tells me how much of a dummy I am. After listening to this for 2-3 hours I get irked to the extreme. I have told him "look man, if you can do any better, then please do so. Sometimes you are a real pain in the *** and you haven't shut up for the past 2 hours!"

It's hilarious because he knows when he perturbs me to that point to shut up haha. Then he will leave and come back in a few minutes with a cold India Pale Ale and say "here, I got you a drink." Cracks me up!

Even though I question his expertise and coachings, he makes a great bartender:).

Upvote 0
Oh a couple (well three) more things:
What is "mantle"?
What does "cook a grenade" mean?
What is "spawning"? If it is coming alive again after being killed - how is it done?

Mantling is the ability to climb over objects and terrain. It's done with the space bar, allowing you to climb through windows, over low fences and prepared positions and the like.

Cooking a grenade is the fantastically dangerous and fun practice of pulling a grenade's pin and waiting a few seconds to throw it so it goes off quicker. Gives the enemy less time to respond. It also gives your teammates less time to get clear when you get shot while cooking said grenade. Definitely good times! :D

Spawning is when you get another life with the next wave of reinforcements.

I also enjoy painting minis but I have no one to play wargames with. I've long fantasized about doing Eastern Front mini wargaming though. Thank god for the PC and games like RO2 and HPS Simulations Squad Battles series.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately I have to agree with this, but only because the only other choice is those Collingwood scum.

lol - my wife's Collingwood! Being from near Sydney I'm a Swannie but I love this Geelong team. When I first arrived in Oz, in 77, I supported Melbourne as they needed all the support they could get! Still do! Robbie Flower was my favourite player but now Kelly, Kirkey, & Goodsey (very snappy nicknames in AFL) are right up there.

Larry

Upvote 0
I also enjoy painting minis but I have no one to play wargames with. I've long fantasized about doing Eastern Front mini wargaming though. Thank god for the PC and games like RO2 and HPS Simulations Squad Battles series.

Thanks for all that.

Shame about no opposition. I thought there were wargamers everywhere in the States. Even where I live over here in Australia you can always find an opponent & we're not known for our numbers here.
Just keep looking. Put on some classes teaching people to paint - recruit the kids - drag them away from the darkside (fantasy) - advertise in the local newspaper. Try bordgames & then convert the players!

Good luck
Larry

Upvote 0