• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How do you play this...?

After you've learnt your basic controls you'll want to learn the basic behavior of the RO2 community.

Keep your eyes on high up windows, infact windows in general. If your foe isnt behind a window, a lot of people like to lie down next to walls, so that only their head is poking out, look out for people in these sorts of places.

Upvote 0
This is exactly the sort of thing I was after!! Thanks guys.

BTW what is spawning? Is it getting back into the game after being killed?

Right here we go ... Come on guys, who pinned that target on me? It's not funny!

No it's not!

Now, where's my rifle? It was here a minute ago! Guys! GUYS!

Larry

Hi Larry you seem like a nice guy so I thought I should warn you. This game is very unforgiving. Even veterans of PC games and shooters get their *** handed to them. All I can offer is this advice....

Dont get frustrated. I cant imagine jumping into RO2 as my first Online shooter. Be patient and savor every enemy you kill as they may be few and far between at first.

What is your name in game? I promise to take care of you if your on my team.

Upvote 0
Hi Larry you seem like a nice guy so I thought I should warn you. This game is very unforgiving. Even veterans of PC games and shooters get their *** handed to them.

Very true.

If it gets frustrating at times, remember that some of the people you're playing against will have fifteen years of experience playing games that use similar controls, tactics and skills to this one. What with the beta, they'll also have had pretty much a month getting to know the intricacies of the maps.

Something like Killing Floor (another game by the same developers) might be a good place to start getting familiar with first-person shooter controls. You play cooperatively against the AI, so your team mates should be helping you, and it's much more forgiving on the easier game modes than RO:HOS. Mind you, it's

Upvote 0
Oh yeah! The "T" key! I almost forgot!

The T key is the Tactical Overlay for your Heads Up Display (referred to as a HUD). It's not a toggle, you have to hold it down and when you release it the information goes away. It's invaluable. It will show what objectives your team is attacking and defending, where your teams artillery calls will fall, where your squad leader is and where recon planes have spotted enemy positions. Flashing icons are priority attack/defend objectives, and they are marked by icons representing the side that holds them. Iron Crosses for Axis, and Red Stars for Allies. Using this makes a lot of the teamwork natural in the game, as hopefully your teammates are moving towards objectives at all times. It will give you an idea of the ebb and flow of the battle, inform you of friendly strongholds and show you roughly where the line of engagement is. The idea behind it is that it simulates the tactical and situational awareness that a soldier in the field would have. It's invaluable for fast planning and will help you fall in with other objective minded teammates.

Upvote 0
My interest was piqued because of the graphics & perceived atmosphere as I have a great interest in Stalingrad. I used to play Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) a very complex boardgame but illness has virtually restricted me to my home. This game looked ideal!
!

G'day qprfan

I can't add any more to the advice about RO2 than has already been given to you.
However I just noticed you mentioned playing ASL and thought I might recommend another game to you along those lines - 'Combat Mission - Battle For Normandy'.
Not sure what the forum policy on commercial links is here so I wont post a direct link to it but you can do a search on the game and the company that makes it 'Battlefront.com' and you should be able to find it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What a bunch of good blokes. All very helpful info!

I assume my battlefield name will be my user name - qprfan99. Or I might play under my real name - Michael Wittman!! Only kidding - if you don't know who he is look him up.

I don't think I'll get frustrated - I fully expect to die frequently - yet bravely, with dignity. But I suppose getting shot in the back isn't really dignified, is it?

Larry

Upvote 0
Just how old are you? You mentioned 1984, and even I wasn't born yet and I thought I was one of the oldest here. Its good to see adult gamers now days! Welcome

Well stone me if reading that didnt just make me feel really old :(

Another 80s wild child reporting for duty:)

And yes its great to see quite a few adult gamers here good to see that your never to old to play videos games:D

Upvote 0
I am 43 years old .....ugh:) I am a simulation and historical game player but I also like role playing titles. First wargame was Computer Ambush from SSI (Strategic Simulations Inc) which I played on my Apple II Plus. When I originally purchased the Apple II it had 48k of RAM. Then I upgraded it to 64K of RAM. My father purchased this computer for me back in 1983 or 1984. We both wanted a high end machine at that time so we could play D&D style RPGs and war games. Previously we played many board games from Avalon Hill. My first of thos was Tactics 2 which my dad bought for me to play when I was 7. His favorite to play against me was a game called Feudal. It was a chess like game that used squares that had holes in which you placed your units. The map had terrain feauters such as rough, clear and mountains and you placed a castle on the map that you needed to defend. It was a bit simplistic but fun! When I played Squad Leader and the card game Up Front I was hooked:)

I enjoyed reading this thread, it is nice. I purchased RO2 because it contains some historical accuracies and has simulation aspects and features. I haven't played multiplayer much but I did complete the German single player campaign. It does help one to learn the interface and actions one can use in the program.

What I have been doing often (and this may help the original creator of this thread) is watching multiplayer games in spectator mode. I'm finding it fun and entertaining to do this and I am learning the layout of the maps.

Thank you for your time and this nice thread and its comments!
Have fun and enjoy everything:)

Eric

Reactions: Mafiozo
Upvote 0